• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CONTADOR to Caisse d'Epargne FOR VALVERD banned team??.?? Caisse d'Epargne?

benpounder said:
If true, it would be a mistake on Contador's part.
I don't know. I think it would be a good move for him to get away from the Lance circus and the uncertainty surrounding the team. Caisse is a quality squad. And of course, I would love to see him go head-to-head with Lance, Levi, whoever...not have to fight for leadership.
benpounder said:
But would set the stage for the first same year Giro-Tour winner in years.

Who? Levi? I don't know, man. I'm actually a Levi fan, but that's a big ask for someone who hasn't even won his 1st Grand Tour. Plus I think if AC goes, the team automatically rides for Armstrong at the Tour.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
YEs , its true, the problem was lance come back and his best friend is Johan Bruynell. Johan hasnt managed this isue very well and Mr ARmstrong has a big mouth . Remember saying AC has a lot to learn on twitter. tha was a shame and not polite

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Sad, if that were in fact the case.

I think Lance is banking on Contador; and banking on Leipheimer. And banking on his 'star' power to deflect attention away from whomever on his team is really riding for victory. You think you would care if, standing on the final podium, you were not wearing the _1 bib?

benpounder said:
Sad, if that were in fact the case.

I think Lance is banking on Contador; and banking on Leipheimer. And banking on his 'star' power to deflect attention away from whomever on his team is really riding for victory. You think you would care if, standing on the final podium, you were not wearing the _1 bib?

I'd like to think you're right, but...we'll see

Here's the Babel Fish translation.

I too think it would be a good move for him to switch teams. But mid-season would be quite difficult. Not just contract, but adjustments, everything. Still, Contador gets so much respect, he could do it.

I don't see Levi going for the Tour. If he wins the Giro or not. Having peaked early at the Tour of California, and then possibly having a bigger peak here at the Giro. Carrying over to the Tour, at 35....I don't see it. Plus, Astana belongs to Lance until Lance completely fades - the mirrors crack and the smoke clears. This is regardless if AC is on the team, or if Levi is very strong. You might be right Ben, maybe, but I just think Lance's ego is just too big to let that chance slip away. If he's dropped on Stage 7 in the Tour like he was dropped today, then yes, he will cede his team position.

Article also said Vinokourov could be riding for Caisse. No possible way I see that happening. No way. Vino will be blacklisted unless he can really make some connections at the UCI, and it's highly likely he and Kashi will be on the new Astana team in 2010.

A

Anonymous

ok.. first a little bit of logic...

JB and Lance, whatever there personal thoughts on AC are not stupid.. they are businessmen, and they are businessmen looking for sponsors for the team.. It makes complete commercial sense to keep AC, hes a big star, a multi tour winner and there is no reason to let him go.. Even if lance wants to win the tour this year, who do they have leading them next year, Levi?? hes not getting any younger.. it doesnt make sense for them to let him go..

But.. Astana dont seem to be doing much to squash these rumours.. the rumours have been going on for weeks, and nobody has popped up from astana , supported AC and said he is there star and is going nowhere.. how often do we see this in football, where the managemant just say nothing and next minute.. a transfer.. Why arnt they standing up and supporting him..?

Im actually starting to get a really bad feeling about the whole thing.. there have always been hints about AC, but ive just got a gut feeling something is going on, and quite possibly AC is about to be hung out to dry.. hope im wrong, but the more nobody says anything, and the more AC seems to be keeping out of the way "training". the more suspicious i am getting... My gut tells me Something is going on..

It might all come down to money, really. If Astana's contract is void, and at that time someone like Caisse d'Espargne can come in and find a way to buy AC out and it's financially beneficial to this new sponsor to have Lance and Levi, and not worry about AC and thus not have to pay for him...

I will say this though, I'm pretty sure any team in the world would be more than happy to sign AC to a long contract. The potential upside of this guy is obviously huge, which goes without saying.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
It might all come down to money, really. If Astana's contract is void, and at that time someone like Caisse d'Espargne can come in and find a way to buy AC out and it's financially beneficial to this new sponsor to have Lance and Levi, and not worry about AC and thus not have to pay for him...

I will say this though, I'm pretty sure any team in the world would be more than happy to sign AC to a long contract. The potential upside of this guy is obviously huge, which goes without saying.

thats also very possible.. i was thinking last night if i funded astana till the end of the season why first question would be how can this cost me less..

on that basis, assuming that the new sponsor/s are already known to JB (i guess we will get a better idea of this later today, or most probabaly tommooro with the new strip) then has the forcing out already started?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Leipheimer doing the Double? He hasn't even won a GT yet and it's a big step from Tour de Gila to Giro d'Italia - still, best laugh I've had all morning.

There's a lot of talk as if Armstrong taking control of Astana is a done deal. He has sponsors, great. But he doesn't have the PT license. The Kazahk Federation hold all the cards and Armstrong knows it - trying to force them to hand it over by sending out the team in a new kit is the most ridiculous, insensitive, stupid move he could make. The Astana license will be suspended if the KF don't pay up - what if they pay up, reinstate Vino and fire Bruyneel and his cronies. After all, Armstrong isn't worth the money he's not being paid and Bruyneel's past is about to catch up with him.

Contador has proved he can win with the worst dog of a team - he hasn't had decent support since he joined - never had a teammate in the Giro, Leipheimer rode against him in the Vuelta, the team for P-N was a joke and on it goes. Contador's style is a much better fit with Caisse - unless we're suggesting that there are certain things only an association with Bruyneel can offer? The Hog should be careful about that and his veiled threats because one day they'll bite him square on the ****.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Leipheimer doing the Double? He hasn't even won a GT yet and it's a big step from Tour de Gila to Giro d'Italia - still, best laugh I've had all morning.
I suppose it is even a bigger step from third on the Tour and a third and second in the Vuelta...

The guy is not a nobody.

And I will admit to a heap of wishful thinking...

____

Senior Member - waahoo!!!

Funny how a lot of forum followers of the sport were making this observation, just as soon as Lance was a done deal.
Whoever has been advising Bertie over this issue, has done him no favours.

He hasn't been paid, therefore, there must be a breach of contract.
Get a good lawyer and use it, now, to seperate from the old pals, or face being used, for the good of the "new team."

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
...Still, Contador gets so much respect, he could do it.

I don't see Levi going for the Tour.

Agreed. The only way Levi does is if Alberto is not on his team. Contador is just too good a rider not to support.

And speaking of panache, how about Alberto's win in the 2007 Paris-Nice.

A

Anonymous

rolfrae said:
Tell us more...

yes please do.. im fascinated...

personally im struggling to get out of my head, contador, last years giro, and the current cera tests.. the more i think about it, the less and less i trust the guy..

i think the long and the short of it is, JB is a scheming, cunning, cniving, little sob, BUT, that almost certainly means he knows what he is doing..

Basically, we now have a scenario where, in order for this to happen, all contracts are null and void, no?

So LA and JB are free to form a new team, by basically dumping the "deadwood", i.e. the Kazakh riders.

Conversely, once they have made their intentions clear, the Kazakh fed is also free to dump their butts, too.

Since the Kazakh's hold the PT license, would it not be correct to say that Contador was tied into a contract to them, not JB?
Similarly, LL etc?

I get the impression, unless the Kazakh's wade in, with some new ammunition, everybody is basically a free agent.
Or, at least they are assuming this is the case.

I guess what I'm trying to imply is, that if JB can walk away, taking a large proportion of the team with him, AC can now jump ship, if he desires.
I think Caisse will be signing two new Spaniard's soon.

In which case, I suggest JB's new team be named: "The Dukes of Hazzard".
Boss Hog and a mighty high proportion of good 'ol boys.

Mellow Velo said:
Basically, we now have a scenario where, in order for this to happen, all contracts are null and void, no?

So LA and JB are free to form a new team, by basically dumping the "deadwood", i.e. the Kazakh riders.

Conversely, once they have made their intentions clear, the Kazakh fed is also free to dump their butts, too.

Since the Kazakh's hold the PT license, would it not be correct to say that Contador was tied into a contract to them, not JB?
Similarly, LL etc?

I get the impression, unless the Kazakh's wade in, with some new ammunition, everybody is basically a free agent.
Or, at least they are assuming this is the case.

I guess what I'm trying to imply is, that if JB can walk away, taking a large proportion of the team with him, AC can now jump ship, if he desires.
I think Caisse will be signing two new Spaniard's soon.

In which case, I suggest JB's new team be named: "The Dukes of Hazzard".
Boss Hog and a mighty high proportion of good 'ol boys.

It seems to me this thing could get really messy.

There could be all sorts of verbal agreements between Contador and Bruyneel. Bruyneel might have promised Contador that he would get support for the races he wants to do. If Bruyneel and Armstron are plotting to form a team without Contador or with Contador in a reduced role then Contador would not be getting what he was promised.

The kazakhs might have continued funding after Vino with the expectation that the kazakh riders on the team would be allowed to race the big events. With about one third of the team kazakh and a kazakh sponsor, you would expect there to be two or three kazakhs at nearly every race; but there was not. The kazakhs might feel they did not get what they were expecting or promised.

The riders have might employment contracts with a business entity owned or controlled by Bruyneel instead of one controlled by the kazakhs. If Bruyneel obtains another sponsor to fund a new team, perhaps all the Astana riders will expect their employment to continue with the new team. The new sponsor might not provide enough money to do that.

A

Anonymous

ingsve said:
Or they could simply call it Rock Racing...

and they would do that because....................?

.................................because you are a troll :D

ok current giro astana squad (based on actual evidence)

21 Lance Armstrong (USA) - failed test for EPO at the 99 tour done several years later, but no other fails. I medical exemption for steroid cream. Linked to ferrari but no evidence to show he doped.
22 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) - as yet no links to drugs
23 Christopher Horner (USA) - no drug links but was a member of the saunier duval team
24 Levi Leipheimer (USA) - associated with ferrari but no evidence
25 Steve Morabito (Swi) - no doping history
26 Daniel Navarro (Spa) - again nothing but not helped by riding for liberty segournos
27 Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) - again.. nothing convincing on him
28 José Luis Rubiera (Spa) - again nothing on him and is cycling representative on the uci pro tour council.
29 Andrey Zeits (Kaz) - again nothing on him...

now say what you like about suspicion etc, and theres barely a team in the pelaton you cannot throw a certain amount of mud at, but you can hardly compare them with the various CONVICTED cheats at rock racing.. :/

ingsve said:
Or they could simply call it Rock Racing...
That sprang to my mind, too. I wasn't even thinking down the obvious, doping lines either.
An up market version of course, but still a retirement home for those "old school" riders.

Assuming Contador and his mate, Hernandez jump ship and they dump the Kazakhs, I'd guesstimate the average age to be 35ish.

Dimspace:
Since you were good enough to point out, Horner's link with SD, you may wish to amend your list.
Rubiera rode for Belda, at Kelme, with Heras, Aitor Gonzalez, Sevilla etc who had the good Dr F on the team.
Seems to account for Mr Valverde's link as well.
You might want to give YP the once over again, too.;)

TRENDING THREADS