• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador to target the 3 grand tours if cleared?

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
So first he says that he will quit if punished...now he says if cleared, he will ride the 3 grand tours if cleared by the authorities.

One could easily argue that a race with Contador would be a bigger draw than one without...Is that his thinking? Dangling a golden carrot in front of the powers-that-be? Will it matter?

Or was this just a statement with no agenda behind it?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Michael Brown said:
So first he says that he will quit if punished...now he says if cleared, he will ride the 3 grand tours if cleared by the authorities.

One could easily argue that a race with Contador would be a bigger draw than one without...Is that his thinking? Dangling a golden carrot in front of the powers-that-be? Will it matter?

I would like to see 3 GTs Contador=1yr.

If and only if he can do all of them undoped. I seriously doubt that he has the capabilities to ride even on GT undoped judging by his previous teams and actions.

Michael Brown said:

As far as i understand he hasnt come out and said it himelf, its a rumour from Lequip.

I hear this "x will ride this this and this" every year.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
That's an interesting question. The first go around in the press, it wasn't clear if talk of three was Contador's idea, or Riis', or a combo of both. Saxo camp is going on right now, so it's normal for riders to give glimpses of the race schedule discussed for them. Contador is in a different position because he doesn't know if he'll be around.

I haven't seen full quotes from the paper edition of L'Equipe. Cycling News said he had just spoken to L'Equipe briefly - it wasn't a press release - they might have just caught him in the parking lot or something. It's tough to read between the lines without the actual quote, but riding all three doesn't mean trying to win all three, or even two. Sastre rode all three this year. It could be a stepping stone towards eventually going for the triple. If you've never done the whole nine weeks in one year, it would be tough trying to get the training right to target all three for wins.

There's a chance that he said it to give the UCI something to think about, but I believe there recent statement was more public posturing than anything else. They've got Caucchioli going to CAS on the 21st, and they've still not decided about whether to appeal the Pellizotti case.

They lost the first round on that one, and the Vino fine decision went against them. They've screwed up big time on the Contador situation, and I doubt they want the details brought out under oath.

Why did they wait five weeks for a test result instead of making a call?

Why didn't they announce the B test result?

Why did they put a gag order on Alberto?

Why did they lie to the German press?

Why did the tell Contador which expert to use when he asked for a suggestion, if the planned to pursue the case to through an appeal process?

There's more, but I never expected the UCI to take it to CAS, and WADA doesn't give a darn how many races Contador plans to do or how well he expects to do in them. So I just think a journalist happened across Contador at camp, asked about a race schedule, and was given the simple outline.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
That's an interesting question. The first go around in the press, it wasn't clear if talk of three was Contador's idea, or Riis', or a combo of both. Saxo camp is going on right now, so it's normal for riders to give glimpses of the race schedule discussed for them. Contador is in a different position because he doesn't know if he'll be around.

I haven't seen full quotes from the paper edition of L'Equipe. Cycling News said he had just spoken to L'Equipe briefly - it wasn't a press release - they might have just caught him in the parking lot or something. It's tough to read between the lines without the actual quote, but riding all three doesn't mean trying to win all three, or even two. Sastre rode all three this year. It could be a stepping stone towards eventually going for the triple. If you've never done the whole nine weeks in one year, it would be tough trying to get the training right to target all three for wins.

There's a chance that he said it to give the UCI something to think about, but I believe there recent statement was more public posturing than anything else. They've got Caucchioli going to CAS on the 21st, and they've still not decided about whether to appeal the Pellizotti case.

They lost the first round on that one, and the Vino fine decision went against them. They've screwed up big time on the Contador situation, and I doubt they want the details brought out under oath.

Why did the tell Contador which expert to use when he asked for a suggestion, if the planned to pursue the case to through an appeal process?

There's more, but I never expected the UCI to take it to CAS, and WADA doesn't give a darn how many races Contador plans to do or how well he expects to do in them. So I just think a journalist happened across Contador at camp, asked about a race schedule, and was given the simple outline.

Contador has been talking about doing 3 Grand Tours for a long time. Fans want to see that, it is a carrot in front of the powers that be to shorten Contadors' ban.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Michael Brown said:

Actually, first he said he would quit regardless of the outcome. He seems to further damage his credibilty with each new press release.

The Hitch said:
As far as i understand he hasnt come out and said it himelf, its a rumour from Lequip.

I hear this "x will ride this this and this" every year.

My understanding of this is that Bjarne Riis himself started to speculate a couple months ago that one objective of AC was to win the 3 GT's the same year--to which AC himself is a bit skeptical and finds it challenging to attain-but he's willing to give it a go at least once during his career. As far as the article on CN-I think is a PR strategy to get support from the GT organizers to influence some adverse outcome on his case, and perhaps to recognize the market value that his presence would bring those races IF he's absolved from his doping case...

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Altitude said:
Actually, first he said he would quit regardless of the outcome. He seems to further damage his credibilty with each new press release.

Well he didn't actually say that he would ride three GT's....
It's only a rumour from L'equipe.
To me it seems like a publicity stunt.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:

Obviously you are from Merika or the UK where doping is an issue. I am from merika where the only races we know are the Tour of California and the Tour de France,(the way my hero Bob Roll says it).

In Eurp, S. America, Asia,Mexico sports and doping are not an issue, unless the doping competitor comes from a rival country.

Of course Alberto is holding cycling hostage, the biggest lie he has told is he will quit, typical dopers lie, Vino and Basso said the same thing.

Lying is not a conspiracy, this is cycling it's a lifestyle. It was happening when Badger lied to LeMond in the 86 Tour. If Alberto doesn't get a ban he will ride 3 GTs in 2012. For me I want to see it. His doping is not an issue for me only the booty thrashing he gave my Prince Armstrong in 09 +10 'the only race that matters"TdF.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Altitude said:
+1...what a weeeezil.

He better watch it...gonna end up like FLandis.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I agree that this is public posturing. My take is that it's been leaked to the press as a way to get the three GT's bargaining for him. They all benefit greatly from his presence and if (IF!) he won the first two there would be hysteria during the Vuelta. Maybe a move to get some GT backers making phone calls to the UCI.

I love how he's willing to throw an entire industry under the bus in an attempt to excuse his use of PEDs. Classy guy our pistolero.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:

The UCI wanted to hide this and make it go away.

The Pistol want’s to be on record that he would have done 3 GT’s this year but (after his doping suspension) has decided to open up a large can of quit.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Does Saxo even have the depth to field 3 Competitive GT Teams?
Loyal team mates willing to dig deep for their "leader"?
Doubt it.....

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it was a public hint from AC to ASO to have them think about the marketing potential that triple could have for them. They in turn talk to the UCI and some other invested parties...

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
Maybe it was a public hint from AC to ASO to have them think about the marketing potential that triple could have for them. They in turn talk to the UCI and some other invested parties...

That is a good guess. Maybe Riis thought it would be good to have him shooting the pistol on all the podiums.

May 9, 2010
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:

I think ASO prefers AC to only target the Tour. Why would they want him to win the giro......skip the Dauphine and then suck at the Tour. In my opinion the giro this year seems way too hard to double with the tour. The double opportunity only happens every ten years or so. This is not the year.

"Off topic" By the way Basso will win the Tour no matter what. It's perfect for him and he knows it. He will be back in the old 2005-2006 dope style.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
I agree that this is public posturing...
I love how he's willing to throw an entire industry under the bus in an attempt to excuse his use of PEDs. Classy guy our pistolero.

He thinks he's in a position of power, but he's just gonna get a cup of sadness if he doesn't toe the line!
I
M
O

May 28, 2010
Visit site
offbyone said:
Perfect. If he wins 3 GTs in one year then we don't need any tests because he clearly must be doping.

:D Haha I like your logic. But IF Contador has been clean thus far in his career (and yes, that's a pretty big IF), then he would be just about the only rider who could even possibly win all Three GTs in a year.