• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador to win the Giro overall by...

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How many minutes will Contador win the 2011 Giro overall by?

• Will retire early due to boredom

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ferminal said:
Simoni has the Zoncolan (West/Ovaro) record doesn't he? Or did Basso beat it last year?

Something to aim for... breaking the record. Contador will be well handicapped by an epic stage, when Gibo did it things were relatively easy.

T17_alt.gif

Not to mention the handicap of having done Grosslknocker (however its spelt) the day before. Whatever Gibo had the day before, it (probably) wasnt that.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Someone should do a study of Contador's ability to metabolize protein from Spanish steak. I think the guy has some unique physiological gifts which contribute to his superior performances in the peloton.

I might be wrong (I'm too lazy to look it up, and my memory is too shot to recall exactly) but I don't think Contador has ever won a GT by 4 minutes. Why should he? He climbs well enough that he knows no one can drop him and he TTs well enough that he knows nobody will take much time from him there. So why not save energy for some sort of mishap (like on the cobbles last TDF, or the puncture on the climb a couple years earlier), or someone's early break success. Make the others try to get time on you and then counter attack, that should be his plan. Fortunately he has just enough panache that he does sometimes attack when it is not quite absolutely necessary. So we are spared some of the boredom of the HWSNBN era.
Therefore it is a dumb poll because the correct answer is not amongst the choices. 1 to 2 minutes, no more.

Hugh Januss said:
I might be wrong (I'm too lazy to look it up, and my memory is too shot to recall exactly) but I don't think Contador has ever won a GT by 4 minutes. Why should he? He climbs well enough that he knows no one can drop him and he TTs well enough that he knows nobody will take much time from him there. So why not save energy for some sort of mishap (like on the cobbles last TDF, or the puncture on the climb a couple years earlier), or someone's early break success. Make the others try to get time on you and then counter attack, that should be his plan. Fortunately he has just enough panache that he does sometimes attack when it is not quite absolutely necessary. So we are spared some of the boredom of the HWSNBN era.
Therefore it is a dumb poll because the correct answer is not amongst the choices. 1 to 2 minutes, no more.

He would have to do some serious sandbagging to only win by that much.

He's already got 1'21" and 1'28" on Nibali and Scarponi.

He takes at least 30 seconds out of both of them in both the time trials, probably more.

He will be the strongest on Zoncolan, and could easily take 1-2 minutes, probably a similar situation in Gardeccia. Even if he does sit on, he will still attack to take the stage win and combined bonus and gap of 15-30".

Grossglockner and Sestriere are his best chances of hiding in a group and letting someone else take the win.

I guess that doesn't include Rujano taking 10 minutes on 15!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
Perhaps Contador already will start to think about the TDF? He could just ride defensively for the rest of the Giro in order to save energy...

No way! You can ride defensively in such a race. The others will try to push him hard all the way to Milan. Anyway, it isn't his style

Hugh Januss said:

Ferminal said:
He would have to do some serious sandbagging to only win by that much.

He's already got 1'21" and 1'28" on Nibali and Scarponi.

He takes at least 30 seconds out of both of them in both the time trials, probably more.

He will be the strongest on Zoncolan, and could easily take 1-2 minutes, probably a similar situation in Gardeccia. Even if he does sit on, he will still attack to take the stage win and combined bonus and gap of 15-30".

Grossglockner and Sestriere are his best chances of hiding in a group and letting someone else take the win.

I guess that doesn't include Rujano taking 10 minutes on 15!

You were right, I was wrong.:eek: