• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador vs LA 2010

A

Anonymous

It'll be epic.

Remember how ****ty LA's '09 season was?

Again, just sayin'

Give him 11 well prepared months.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Possibly Contador, if the Lone Ranger has a team good enough beyond the sprint from the car to him with water bottles. Shrek will be pressed to stay ahead of an Armstrong know that is not relegated to marking the wheels of 4th-6th placed riders.

A

Anonymous

Typical, the "wait till next year" has already begun. Obviously a bunch of Cubs fans...

Thoughtforfood said:
Typical, the "wait till next year" has already begun. Obviously a bunch of Cubs fans...

I am saying it because a) you don't what the course is
b) don't know who the riders will be in it whether is due to personal choice or because of crashes. At the end of the 2003 TDF, everyone would have said Ulrich, Armstrong and Vino for 2004, but then by the time we got to 2004 TDF, Vino was out with injury.

That is why its no use going ahead and claiming favorites. Heck Andy is young, maybe he want to give Giro a go next year instead of the Tour. NOouse trying to predict what building is going in a new spot until you have seen the groundwork set.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Of course, there will be Basso, Valverde, to contend with. Stronger Kreuziger, Schlecks, VDB, Nibali, Sanchez and then there will be Contador who could beat Lance with an aluminum bike.

Andre

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Juan Speeder said:
It'll be epic.

Remember how ****ty LA's '09 season was?

Again, just sayin'

Give him 11 well prepared months.

contador will beat lance by an even larger margin next year, when he has a team that is actually helping him and not trying to hold him back.

that is, if both guys make it to the TDF.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Futuroscope said:
contador will beat lance by an even larger margin next year, when he has a team that is actually helping him and not trying to hold him back.

that is, if both guys make it to the TDF.

For sure. Contador probably wins Ventoux if he doesn't have to worry about LA's ego. Again, Armstrong doesn't have the top end of the best climbers. We saw it at the Giro and we saw it at the TDF.

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

At least we have a baseball team, and a hockey team and a football team to say wait until next year.

What pro teams does NC have??

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
For sure. Contador probably wins Ventoux if he doesn't have to worry about LA's ego. Again, Armstrong doesn't have the top end of the best climbers. We saw it at the Giro and we saw it at the TDF.

yes, todays race would have certainly been a battle between contador and andy schleck if they had raced only for themselves.
both guys would have been atleast 2min ahead of everyone else.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
And he still gets his saddle handed to him by Contador and Andy Schleck.
As will everyone else.

If either had teams that weren't distracted, e.g. if they has a LA style USPostal team behind them either would have been miles ahead.

With all the hype over the years we may have two riders that are reasonable close in all aspects of GT competition. (well except that Andy seems to listens to his seniors and DS' whereas Alberto thinks he's smart enough to do it on his own.)

benpounder said:
As will everyone else.

If either had teams that weren't distracted, e.g. if they has a LA style USPostal team behind them either would have been miles ahead.

With all the hype over the years we may have two riders that are reasonable close in all aspects of GT competition. (well except that Andy seems to listens to his seniors and DS' whereas Alberto thinks he's smart enough to do it on his own.)

I think this was purely situational. If Armstrong isn't there, Contador places his full trust in JB. I don't think you see a repeat next year.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I think this was purely situational. If Armstrong isn't there, Contador places his full trust in JB. I don't think you see a repeat next year.

I agree. Contador was certainly in a difficult situation this year. With a team racing for Contador, it'll be a different situation.

I sort of understand now what JB is doing staying with LA. First, and most obvious, is his friendship with LA. But secondly, he said he was getting bored with the whole thing. Staying with AC is certainly the easy way to get more GT wins. But winning with LA is the greater challenge for JB.

A

Anonymous

quadsRme said:
At least we have a baseball team, and a hockey team and a football team to say wait until next year.

What pro teams does NC have??

Well, my city has the Panthers and Bobcats. Raleigh has the Huricanes, and nobody wants baseball because it is more boring than (edited by moderator9.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Carl0880 said:
Lets wait till they announce the race route for next year before making predictions. The route does have alot to do with it

That's very true. The inclusion/exclusion of a TTT will make a big difference, as will the length of the TT's. This year having only 1 short TT and 1 medium TT may have helped F. Schleck, although the way LA and BW were dropping off the pace in Annecy, maybe not. Lots of steep punchy mtns vs long steady mtns will also make a difference. Biggest thing of course is the composition of the teams, and nobody can predict that one too accurately yet. I would love to see this year's podium finishers return next year, each with a team dedicated to getting him the overall victory. That would make for a much better TDF.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I can't see the route being better planned than it was this year. The more uphill finishes you have, the wider the gap is on the leader board. I think a 3 minute split between each contender with a week left to race is worst case scenario for the organizers.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
The route will play a big roll in the results of the 2010 TdF. Normally you'd say more TT miles would hurt the climbers in the overall, AC wasn't hurt at all by the TT. Will there be a TTT to favor the stronger teams? How many mtn top finishes?

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Well, my city has the Panthers and Bobcats. Raleigh has the Huricanes, and nobody wants baseball because it is more boring than watching (moderated)

yeah, hockey in north carolina. that's where it's at.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
And he still gets his saddle handed to him by Contador and Andy Schleck.

I would say that it depends on whether Radio Shack is invited to the Tour next year; whether there is a TTT; what mountains and where there are placed in the race; who ends up on the Radio Shack team - who ends up on the Saxo Bank team - and, who Contador rides for.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:

LA did not have the top end of Andy and Contador - he seemed to have marked Frank fairly well today (although it did appear that Frank had a bad day ~ I also thought it appeared that Contador had a bad day as well=he had to work more than usual). It appears to me that LA is still one of the top five GC contenders in climbing, probably holding down third place. Hard to say about next year since he will be older, perhaps more prepared - a lot depends on the team he has and avoiding injuries.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
There is a long list of climbers that Armstrong dropped along the way. Andy and the Lone Ranger are clearly better at the moment.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I sure hope LA comes back to his bestest shape. I mean... this year he was 98% there so, it's all a question of whether that 2% improvement will be enough or not.

Do I think LA has a chance vs Contador in the climbs? Nope. Do I think LA can beat Contador in the TT? Pretty much even although, in a long TT, I'd give the slight advantage to LA. How about the TTT? It depends on what team Contador ends up in. If the Spaniard ends up in a strong TTT team then it's pretty much lights out for LA, because he will be put on a defensive stance most of the race.

TRENDING THREADS