• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador wins third consecutive velo d'or

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Alberto Contador will cap off a weekend of criterium appearances in Spain by taking a jet to Paris to receive his third consecutive Velo D'Or prize this afternoon.

The Velo d'Or is an annual prize given by French publication Velo Magazine to a rider chosen by a large panel of international journalists. According to as.com, Contador will fly to Paris at 2:00 this afternoon to receive the award at the studios of French Television.

After coming second overall in the I Criterium "City of Oviedo", Alberto will ride Sunday morning in Alcobendas before traveling to Paris.

Saturday's criterium in Oviedo was billed as The World's Best Peloton in Your City, a bold claim that was realized when the roster assembled in Uría street.

The overall prize for the day went to Olympic champion Samuel Sánchez, with Contador (two Tours, Triple Crown, Spanish national time trial Championship) second, and competition provided by a group including Alejandro Valverde (Vuelta 2009, former Spanish champion), Carlos Sastre (Tour 2008), Ruben Plaza (Spanish champion) and other elite riders.

Contador won the elimination contest in Oviedo, Valverde won the points contest. Sánchez earned first overall by placing second in each. A team time trial featured teams of three riders: Astana - with Contador, Jesús Hernández, and Chechu Rubiera - won by a hair over Caisse d'Epargne, followed by Euskaltel and a mixed team of riders that included Sastre.

The criterium was a tribute to Sánchez in his hometown, which is also home to F1 superstar Fernando Alonso. It rained all day.

October 25 - Tour champion will collect the prize today in Paris

A

Anonymous

not sure what all the criterium lark is. but as for the Velo D'or....

WHY..?

yes i know i dont like contador, but so he won the tour, and high placings in the dauphine and paris nice... (im still flummoxed as to how he appears top of the world rankings)...

deserving of being told, your the best rider this year... i dunno...

basically its a french award, and generally whoever wins the tour wins it.. (or comes second)... the french are idiots...

id actually give it to cadel, just for not giving up...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
lol ur kiddin right?
conta deserves it easy imo.

Wins -----
Volta ao Algarve + 1 stage win
Vuelta al País Vasco + 2 stage wins
Tour De France + 2 stage wins
ITT Spanish Champion

2nd ----
Vuelta a Castilla y Leon

3rd Place ---
Dauphiné Libéré

4th Place--
Paris-Nice + 2 stage wins

IMO a very impressive season. -- unmatched -- oh yeahhh, he finished his season in july too ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Schleck, Valverde, Cavendish and EBH take the next few spots imo....

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

WHY..?

yes i know i dont like contador, but so he won the tour, and high placings in the dauphine and paris nice... (im still flummoxed as to how he appears top of the world rankings)...

basically its a french award, and generally whoever wins the tour wins it.. (or comes second)... the french are idiots...

If they award it for not giving up they should have given it to van Hummel.

Contador also won the tour of Basque country, also a big race.

Lance got the prize 5 times with just the tour victory and a dauphine here and there.

I'd say Contador deserves it.
Cav or Canc would have been a good pick also.

ps.
Until 2006, the winner of Tour de France had always been placed first or second in the award classification.

So another thing Floyd f-cked up ;/

dimspace said:

WHY..?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_key

A

Anonymous

Bustedknuckle said:

you talking about my caps...? i have enough problem actually typing sentances that dont require me to change 30 missspellings, and then actually put the write words in the light places, without worrying about wether or not i (have now forgotten what i was about to type), erm, if my punctuation is correct..

brain works fine, translating it to the written page isnt always as easy.. and frankly i think going to the effort of posting just to say that was unnecessary.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
you talking about my caps...? i have enough problem actually typing sentances that dont require me to change 30 missspellings, and then actually put the write words in the light places, without worrying about wether or not i (have now forgotten what i was about to type), erm, if my punctuation is correct..

brain works fine, translating it to the written page isnt always as easy.. and frankly i think going to the effort of posting just to say that was unnecessary.

i agree. grammar nazis are annoying and bring nothing to a topic

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Bustedknuckle said:

4042032929_1b147fda29_m.jpg

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
4042032929_1b147fda29_m.jpg

Maybe you don´t care :mad: (btw, the pic is not very funny either) It shows a bit of your character
If it was your fav who won the velo d´or it would have been otherwise!

The velo do´r is a prestigious award same as the balon d´or
It´s impressive if someones win it 3 times in a row.

even CR9 can´t, Go messi ;)

dimspace said:

try using firefox browser, spell checker on that beats all others.

A

Anonymous

ggusta said:
try using firefox browser, spell checker on that beats all others.

perfectly good one in opera.. i use it virtually every sentence.... ;)

Publicus said:
I think this thread is premature. He's going to the award ceremony today, there hasn't been an official announcement that he won.

is it too late to vote..

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
lol ur kiddin right?
conta deserves it easy imo.

Wins -----
Volta ao Algarve + 1 stage win
Vuelta al País Vasco + 2 stage wins
Tour De France + 2 stage wins
ITT Spanish Champion

2nd ----
Vuelta a Castilla y Leon

3rd Place ---
Dauphiné Libéré

4th Place--
Paris-Nice + 2 stage wins

IMO a very impressive season. -- unmatched -- oh yeahhh, he finished his season in july too ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Schleck, Valverde, Cavendish and EBH take the next few spots imo....
It's obvious the journalists who choose the rider are French :)

No doubt he deserves it but does he deserve it more than for example Cavendish? It tells you something that the winner of the TdF has placed in the top two until 2006. I'd say Cavendish dominated the sprints even more than Contador dominated the climbs. No a fan of either but I'm just wondering how it's possible to compare overall wins in small/large stage races and wins in individual stages and races.
You win two GTs and a few other races, yes the prize is yours. But if you win the Tour that shouldn't automatically give you a top placing. IMO Cavendish would've deserved it this season by winning what he won.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
DavidVilla7 said:
yeah, for sure Mr. Armstrong

The velo d´or is a prestigious award same as the Balon d´or
It´s impressive if you win it 3 times in a row!
Even CR9 can´t, Go messi ;)

it was sarcasm.

When Contador is the top ranked rider, winning multiple awards, it makes Armstrong's comments even more ***.

TRENDING THREADS