• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador's head

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
lilac harry quinn said:
After watching the European Athletics Indoor Championships at the weekend I was left wondering whether Robbie Grabarz has always had such a pronounced brow.

You know more and more the clinic is sliding into a fascistic/medieval rhetoric where suspicion is king and enough to condemn, and totally inconclusive photographs are touted as evidence.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
You do know that we don't sanction them, right?

Of course I know, just find it interesting where the clinic is going with it's levels of suspicion, the different sources of that suspicion, the selective way that suspicion is placed and how that is justifies. I'm sure there are psychological precedents for it as well, a lynch-mob mentality and a paranoia of the 'not normal. While the suspicions are justified, it still amounts to a scattergun of accusations that mostly have little or no substance. Using pictures like these is probably the easiest way, and also equally has the least substance.

And I do know modding this place must be difficult so please draw no inference from what I am saying as a remark on the mods.

JimmyFingers said:
Of course I know, just find it interesting where the clinic is going with it's levels of suspicion, the different sources of that suspicion, the selective way that suspicion is placed and how that is justifies. I'm sure there are psychological precedents for it as well, a lynch-mob mentality and a paranoia of the 'not normal. While the suspicions are justified, it still amounts to a scattergun of accusations that mostly have little or no substance. Using pictures like these is probably the easiest way, and also equally has the least substance.

And I do know modding this place must be difficult so please draw no inference from what I am saying as a remark on the mods.
Where the clinic is going

Have it really changed that much over the last 8 months?

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Where the clinic is going

Have it really changed that much over the last 8 months?

I think so, in terms of the way language is used and also, for example, the debate where posters attempted to legitimise censure as a result of suspicion alone, and poured scorn on the need for any scientific measures or due process.

Just a luddite/reactionary trend I sense

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:

Jimmy you are probably right. I am certainly not one who believes all sportsmen and women are on the juice, and while I am happy to heap abuse on those who definitely deserve it, I don't really want to accuse on a Lombrosian basis so I've deleted the post.

JimmyFingers said:
I think so, in terms of the way language is used and also, for example, the debate where posters attempted to legitimise censure as a result of suspicion alone, and poured scorn on the need for any scientific measures or due process.

Just a luddite/reactionary trend I sense

:confused::confused:

Honestly I more often get the feeling that it's suspicion that is tried to be censured by others.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
:confused::confused:

Honestly I more often get the feeling that it's suspicion that is tried to be censured by others.

I think it depends on the way that suspicion is presented. If it's done like in this thread, or the sneering of the AFLD, where the joke du jour was the mix up first names and last names of Sky riders and known dopers, then it garners less respect and more likely to come under attack.

Indeed it may be more likely to galvanise previously neutral individuals to defend something they may not even believe in that strongly.

I have no problem with suspicions, indeed they need to be encouraged, but I will call someone on it if I think they are being a ****** about it. Jussayin'

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
A Sceptic is a person who may have an open and questioning mind. Someone who does not automatically accept that stated as a fact until there is evidence to prove otherwise. It is an active attempt to consider something is true until proven true. They doubt that which is normally taken for granted.

A cynic is a person who has a negative attitude, they may be someone who looks for the fundamental reason why a person may behave the way they do. An example might be "that person gave some money to a poor person because he feels guilty". A cynic assumes he has a selfish motive.

So for whom the cap fits, they must wear it...

JimmyFingers said:

What is a fact is that if you take the top hundred athletes in just about any sport that makes money and assume they are doping your percentage of being on the mark is going to be far better that the best batting average in MLB. That's Major League Baseball for the Euros amoungst us.
I wish I thought that there was a sizeable contingent of clean medal winners at the last Olympics, I'd also like to believe that there are honest politicians and that a guy in a red suit is gonna drop down my chimney with a brand new Porsche next Dec. 25th.

Note: This is kind of a crossover post that would also fit as well in the Jessica Zelinka thread.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
lilac harry quinn said:
Jimmy you are probably right. I am certainly not one who believes all sportsmen and women are on the juice, and while I am happy to heap abuse on those who definitely deserve it, I don't really want to accuse on a Lombrosian basis so I've deleted the post.

I had to google Lombrosian, but get you, appreciated. We have to be wary of such simplistic prejudice.

hrotha said:
Why bother? Thanks to the HGH, it won't fit for long.

*Rim-shot*

On the subject of wacky heads.

Horner looks about 70 in this photo. Is that a reporter or a nurse next to him. He looks like he is about to start dribbling and talking about the war or his piles.

img_3344_150.jpg

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Mrs John Murphy said:
Is it me or has something odd happened to Contador's head and face. It seems to have changed (got longer more horse-like) over the years.

What the hell has happened to his eyes/brow?

bettiniphoto_0079647_1_full_600.jpg

armstrong-seen-here-alongside-his-astana-teammate-alberto-contador-of-spain-contador-won-the-event-in-2007.jpg

Could be, but the light is very different from the others and the large photo is shot close with like a 20mm wide. Forshortening alway's exagerates facial features and if the tilt of the camera is right can make the head look bigger than it should be compared to the body.

Oddly, Lance never had a brow anyway. He's now a browless wonder.

No brow? You can see it clearly in that pic and he never had that when he was younger.

If you want to see something more that seems suspicious look at this. http://api.ning.com/files/FoLUdkczF...Pgc9qgyk*kOJbEx-obaaGaqvhFLXIYYQg9/lance.jpeg

You don't muscle up that much training for marathons and triathlons. Even less if you are as old as he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS