• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Converted to speedplay from time rxs. very happy.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Tired of fighting creaks, squeaks and other noises from my Time RXS pedals, I put on some Speedplay zeros. Setup was a little more involved than the Times, but not too bad. I was also a little surprised to see Phillips head screws since just about everything else on a bike uses hex keys but no big deal.

After everything was setup I put on some PTFE lube and off I went. I was surprised by just how free the floating is. At first my feet seemed to be going all over the place. But after a few miles, it felt more normal. I've ridden Times from way back and I thought they had frictionless float. Not even close to the Speedplays. I did end up limiting the float somewhat because 15 degrees is just a bit much for me, but after that and a minor Q factor adjustment, I couldn't be happier. They feel super solid and I thought they were pretty easy to get into and out of.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I was beginning to think my Time RXS pedals were crapping out, but before springing for a pair of Speedplay Zeroes I thought I'd clean and re-grease the threads. Creaking and groaning is gone.

Now I'll try to get another season out of them, but at the first sign of a problem Speedplay is my short list.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I've been considering Speedplay pedals. Are there any differences between the zeros and light actions other than the ability to eliminate float? I don't think I'd use that feature.

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Speedplay Pedals

I would like to like Speedplay pedals but the cleat breaks ie the C spring wears out after a very short period of time. I replaced two C springs and bought another set of cleats within 14 months. Speedplay suggested Zero vs X series. I cannot find out if the Zeros are better.

Speedplay pedals need constant care: lube before every ride, check screws on the cleat are not loose (they do fall off during rides), add locktite to screws to insure the screws don't fall off, apply grease everymonth to insure the bearing last, clean cleats after evey ride in the rain otherwise the may not release. I am sure I have missed a few other requirements (by the way it should be a dry lube)

Not sure it is worth the efforts. I had Looks, Time and Shimano that keep on going and going.

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
sameoldguy said:
Speedplay pedals need constant care: lube before every ride, check screws on the cleat are not loose (they do fall off during rides), add locktite to screws to insure the screws don't fall off, apply grease everymonth to insure the bearing last, clean cleats after evey ride in the rain otherwise the may not release. I am sure I have missed a few other requirements (by the way it should be a dry lube)
Been riding X-2s for 15 years: none of what you described has ever happened to me and I lube them once every couple of weeks and repack the internal grease about once a year. I'm guessing installation or rider error is behind you breaking the springs.

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Gaear Grimsrud said:
Been riding X-2s for 15 years: none of what you described has ever happened to me and I lube them once every couple of weeks and repack the internal grease about once a year. I'm guessing installation or rider error is behind you breaking the springs.

Times 2. Not quite the mileage you have (10 yrs) and I'm much more lax with the maintenance, but my experience has led me to the conclusion MY SpeedPlay X2's are pretty much bullet proof! YMMV

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
colbert.gif

Oh yes i did !

zero'saresweet

I'm on Speedplay Zeroes. Had real trouble locking into them for a couple of months but they seem to be ok now. I have found that it is important to dry lube the cleats every week or two and the cleat screws did come out once like a previous poster suggested. However I'm pretty happy with them so far. I like the fact that I can play around with the float, I'm down to about 3 degrees at the moment and I might end up at zero. I've never come out of them at the wrong time which has been an issue on other pedals.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Here's an update. I finally gave up on the Times when a sloppy (my bad) clip-in resulted in a broken toe lug. The pedal held my foot well enough to finish the ride but I knew its days were numbered.

Installed new Zeroes (with stainless spindles) later that week. I needed a couple of retries to dial in the right angles and float for both feet, but now that its done I'm a very happy camper. While dual sided entry was (and still is) a non-issue for me, here's a list of what I like--stiffer feeling spindles and bearings, low stack height, grease ports, being able to set the float to practically simulate a slightly loose slotted cleat in a Campy track pedal, and being able to fine tune cleat angle and float using just a small screwdriver. I am riding a bit faster now, probably due to the stronger spindle and bearings.

ustabe said:
Here's an update.... I am riding a bit faster now, probably due to the stronger spindle and bearings.

Wow! That's great you're riding faster! It may also be due to the additional floats allows you to have better foot position! I know that I use the float as my foot angle varies slightly from day to day.

I rode Speedplay X2's for 10 years. I loved them... easy to use and setup. I thought I'd try Look... but will be going back to the Speedplay. Either the X or Zero systems offer great all around road pedal that is no-nonsense

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Speedplays are great...I spent ages trying to get the Q Factor correct...I am able to hyperextend - there is one point of resistance which I am able to go past - my heel to hit the crank. Am I missing something? I have never hit my crank while riding so it's not a major issue, just a psychological factor. Had Looks before these. Will not go back. Speedplays are the only fully serviceable pedal. All the others need either complete or almost complete replacement when the bearings go.

Any suggestions on the Q factor?

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Update. Cliped the shoes in and took them off my foot, leaving them in the pedal. Undid the screws and pushed the cleat as far away from the crank as possible. Didnt have far to go anyway.

Still able to hit the crank by hyperextending.

The heel out screw is all the way in.

Think I need a longer spindle or is this correct?

I repeat: dont have any problems with them.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
On the Speedplay Zeros as well and have to say a big improvement over Shimano and Look I've used in the past. Had the issue of loosening screws (Actually lost 1 during a ride) so you do need to check them after every ride or as someone suggested, use some loctite. Only problem was adjusting to zero float right right from the get go. Knee couldn't handle it and caused some pain so had to back it off to 15-20 Degrees.

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
It took me 2 years to get used to Speedplay. I had knee problems that were quite bad and at times I felt like I was on the verge of doing real damage.

But I was very careful, always backing off the miles and resting when it got bad. I'm sure the aggressive riding didn't help and probably prolonged my knee issues.

The good news is I did get used to the pedal system and now I wouldn't be on anything else. I'm glad I was patient.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I went from Shimano to Speedplay Zero then back to Shimano four months later. Just didn't like them as much as I tried, and I probably didn't like them within the first month but tried to convince myself they were going to come right.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
So after riding them for a season, I still like their float but I also still think they're pretty different to get into. You sort of have to fish a bit. Simply stepping down doesn't mean your foot slides in. That's where I like a traditional pedal more. Catch your toe and you're good. I also think the time's feel like a wider platform.

I also had to fiddle for a while to get them silent also. I found that disassembling the cleat and really lubing the spring helped.

Next up is some new shoes for this season. I need something with more ventilation than my Sidi Zetas. Love the fit of Sidis but damn my feet get hot on warm humid MN summer days.

TRENDING THREADS