• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
It needs to be said.

These tour stages in britain confirms to me that there is a huge cycling boom going on there. Every cat 4 climb looking like alpe d'huez.. its too much.

And as with any religion, the people need to believe. A sky positive would mean the british cycling empire goes down the drain, so Im sure Cookson will do everything in his power to prevent that.

And before people start talking about change. What change? Everything is the same as it has always been.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I think it's hilarious how Britain plays second fiddle to America in everything, including their own doped up superhero rider. Thanks to Wiggins and Froome, Britain is in the same early stages as American fans were with Armstrong when he started winning. So now the roadside is filled with noob cycling fans who have no idea how to conduct themselves on the road, and a blissfully naive public who believe their disease-stricken pack filling rider magically turned himself into the world's greatest rider through "marginal gains". It's almost a complete carbon copy of the Armstrong saga, but with a Brit in charge of the UCI, they've got their own McQuaid/Verbruggen to ensure their champion remains clean as a whistle.

The comments from the Sky/Froome fans, for the most part, are extremely naive and show a general lack of understanding of how bike racing works, or how doping works. As an American who went through the Armstrong saga, I can understand the mindset. It took me until his 5th or 6th title to finally realize what was going on, despite the way the American media never even sniffed the subject. Britain is going through the same thing, and I'm fairly sure their media is not doing anything either. The story will end the same way, because Froome is even more ridiculous than Armstrong, and *someone* will figure it out...at least that's what should happen. I could live with the slight plausibility of Wiggins, he's actually world class in some disciplines. But Froome is just a bad science experiment.

So yes, I don't see the UCI uncovering any wrongdoings with Sky. The TUE thing was already bad enough, imagine if it was something more shady.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
go crazy said:
I could live with the slight plausibility of Wiggins, he's actually world class in some disciplines. But Froome is just a bad science experiment.

:confused:

A myth perpetuated by small track cycling fields with not a lot of depth. On the road he was nowhere before 3rd at the TdF in 2009, amongst some of the most successful dopers around.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
:confused:

A myth perpetuated by small track cycling fields with not a lot of depth. On the road he was nowhere before 3rd at the TdF in 2009, amongst some of the most successful dopers around.
plus big budgets of UK and Australia track teams.

big is relative, still tiny tiny budgets. But if all Euro cyclists had the same opporunites, and not the opportunity cost of taking up a lucrative roadcycling pro contract, then lets see how many gold medals the anglophones take. they would be shown for the chumps they are

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Cound
i dont this chris really unnerstood that vino doped cos millartime says he was so disspoints
Froome cuckold
no i knew john robertson told me at barlo
Cound
no, you did not fully know cos i never told you so stfu
just luv this sig

From the UCI's perspective, this is going great. ASO got paid 10x more than the last Grande Depart remote location and the taxpayers appear to be racing toward paying ASO for a multi-day race. Any idea what the budget is like? The number has grown dramatically every time I checked on it.

What I don't know is what the broadcast audience metrics are like for these stages.

It's about producing a show and Cookson seems to be doing well in this regard. To be fair, much of this (TdF 2014) was probably in the works under McQuaid anyway.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
From the UCI's perspective, this is going great. ASO got paid 10x more than the last Grande Depart remote location and the taxpayers appear to be racing toward paying ASO for a multi-day race. Any idea what the budget is like? The number has grown dramatically every time I checked on it.

What I don't know is what the broadcast audience metrics are like for these stages.

It's about producing a show and Cookson seems to be doing well in this regard. To be fair, much of this (TdF 2014) was probably in the works under McQuaid anyway.
it will likely be a Tour of France0Britain for an entire week in the future GBP counts

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
go crazy said:
I think it's hilarious how Britain plays second fiddle to America in everything, including their own doped up superhero rider. Thanks to Wiggins and Froome, Britain is in the same early stages as American fans were with Armstrong when he started winning. So now the roadside is filled with noob cycling fans who have no idea how to conduct themselves on the road, and a blissfully naive public who believe their disease-stricken pack filling rider magically turned himself into the world's greatest rider through "marginal gains". It's almost a complete carbon copy of the Armstrong saga, but with a Brit in charge of the UCI, they've got their own McQuaid/Verbruggen to ensure their champion remains clean as a whistle.

The comments from the Sky/Froome fans, for the most part, are extremely naive and show a general lack of understanding of how bike racing works, or how doping works. As an American who went through the Armstrong saga, I can understand the mindset. It took me until his 5th or 6th title to finally realize what was going on, despite the way the American media never even sniffed the subject. Britain is going through the same thing, and I'm fairly sure their media is not doing anything either. The story will end the same way, because Froome is even more ridiculous than Armstrong, and *someone* will figure it out...at least that's what should happen. I could live with the slight plausibility of Wiggins, he's actually world class in some disciplines. But Froome is just a bad science experiment.

So yes, I don't see the UCI uncovering any wrongdoings with Sky. The TUE thing was already bad enough, imagine if it was something more shady.
no one see the irony

wigans was left at ome for room temperature ale when the tour of france came to britain.

wigans should do wunna those twitter ride thingies that lance used to do before everyone was told he was a fraud

go crazy said:

Sheer insolence. I know the type. I remember from 99 when I was telling folks his tale was just not credible...ohhhh the acrimony.

Though, yes, it is ridiculous that there is an Englishman at the helm of the UCI. I don't think he'll ever go down, too much at stake, which means it's just all about money.

the sceptic said:
It needs to be said.

These tour stages in britain confirms to me that there is a huge cycling boom going on there. Every cat 4 climb looking like alpe d'huez.. its too much.

And as with any religion, the people need to believe. A sky positive would mean the british cycling empire goes down the drain, so Im sure Cookson will do everything in his power to prevent that.

And before people start talking about change. What change? Everything is the same as it has always been.

"If we want things to stay as they are, things will have to change." -- Giuseppe di Lampedusa

I think that was also Crookson's pitch to the insiders when he urged them to get rid of McQuaid.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Sheer insolence. I know the type. I remember from 99 when I was telling folks his tale was just not credible...ohhhh the acrimony.

Though, yes, it is ridiculous that there is an Englishman at the helm of the UCI. I don't think he'll ever go down, too much at stake, which means it's just all about money.
come on rhub

jump on the train

gordonstoun rugby eton stiff upper lip chariots of fire muscular christianity oxbridge rowing head river

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
the sceptic said:
It needs to be said.

It may be a boom, but we saw crowds like this in 1994 and 2007. In 1994 the whole of Canterbury high street was decorated with a Tour/French theme, the atmosphere was extraordinary. There's nothing new with what we've seen in Yorkshire. I've followed cycling since about 1976 and have seen it going from having no profile whatsoever in the UK, to where it is today. I think Boardman's gold at Barcelona in 1992 was the point at which the British public suddenly `discovered' cycling, hence by 1994 it was more than ready to buy into the Tour in the UK.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
the sceptic said:
It needs to be said.

What shame for the sport! Cycling can't afford to lose another decade.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
"If we want things to stay as they are, things will have to change." -- Giuseppe di Lampedusa

I think that was also Crookson's pitch to the insiders when he urged them to get rid of McQuaid.

Im sure Cookson will milk the brits for all they are worth. The only question is if Froome is just too obvious to keep going like this. Too many french haters asking questions already.

I could see Froome doing a Wiggins and fading into obscurity rather than doing a Lance, but then im sure Cookson will have another brit ready to take over.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Im sure Cookson will milk the brits for all they are worth. The only question is if Froome is just too obvious to keep going like this. Too many french haters asking questions already.

I could see Froome doing a Wiggins and fading into obscurity rather than doing a Lance, but then im sure Cookson will have another brit ready to take over.

Some say he doesn't even know he's doping..
Wonder if he becomes a replica of Andy.. Just not even knowing what hit him :eek:

EDIT: You mean nationalising a new guy... A Columbian maybe :)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
No, it doesn't
i don't think a comparison with mcquaid is going to be very fruitful.
but isn't your intelligence the slightest bit insulted when you see sky and uci link up like that and then hear cookson talk the talk as if nothing happened?
something needs to be said.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
i don't think a comparison with mcquaid is going to be very fruitful.
but isn't your intelligence the slightest bit insulted when you see sky and uci link up like that and then hear cookson talk the talk as if nothing happened?
something needs to be said.

Cookson had a tailwind, and Horner would have won the election.

TRENDING THREADS