• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

COOKSON muted as NEW UCI CHIEF !

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
IOC , waved goodbye to phat , yesterday ! Cited as too busy to prepare 2020 Olympics because of the " Lance gate Affair " ! A Swiss stepped into the panel that will spend the next 8 years , selecting Venues for Olympic & Paralympic 2020 .
This item , gives pause to wonder when we will see the " UCI " , cite health reasons , for the 63yo , to spend more time with his family :
http://www.independent.ie/sport/oth...ncreasingly-under-the-microscope-3361316.html

Bye bye phat , no postcards please , we are sure whereever you are , we don't wish to visit .

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Indeed. Actually, in truth he hasnt said he's not interested. He's said he's not a candidate because there is no job to apply for, which I suppose he has to say.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Surely, Doctor, you aren't serious!

Hmmmm: Cookson. From one of the links:

BRIAN Cookson, the man who helped transform the fortunes of British Cycling, has emerged as a strong contender to become president of the International Cycling Union (UCI) should the Lance Armstrong doping scandal force the resignation of the current leadership.

Senior figures within the International Olympic Committee and cycling believe Cookson, 61, could be the man to restore the reputation of the sport which is at crisis point, with some IOC members even questioning whether it should remain in the Games. . . .
One senior IOC figure told the Press Association: "His name is already well-known within the IOC and he would be trusted by the Olympic Movement, given that some people are questioning cycling's future in the Olympics."

Cookson has transformed British Cycling from the verge of bankruptcy in 1997, when he and a group of others including former performance director Peter Keen took over, to a position now where it is the most successful national governing body in the world.

Not only do British cyclists dominate both on the track and on the road, but British Cycling's stance on doping has been put forward as an example of best practice among sports bodies.

. . .

Cookson is already a member of the UCI management committee, and has praised McQuaid's efforts in pursuing drugs cheats in recent years but has criticised the body for accepting money from Armstrong.

He told the Press Association last week: "I know Pat McQuaid very well and I think he has done a good job in the last few years in pursuing dope cheats, and cycling has a far better record now.

"I think mistakes were made during the Lance Armstrong era but it was a difficult time because EPO [the blood-boosting agent] was undetectable." . . .

Maybe. Might work. It could be he's just a smart politician, sticking close enough to the party line to keep from making upsetting waves.

I'll look forward to CCN commenting on this development.

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if he'd bring about the evolution needed at the UCI. It's true that he, and others, have made the most of opportunities to develop British Cycling.

I don't think you can critiscise him yet for his generous critique of McQuaid. He probably doesn't mean a word of it, but it's the way you have to behave if you want to not alienate people you might have to work with later and get them to accept your agenda.

Joachim said:
I don't know if he'd bring about the evolution needed at the UCI. It's true that he, and others, have made the most of opportunities to develop British Cycling.

I don't think you can critiscise him yet for his generous critique of McQuaid. He probably doesn't mean a word of it, but it's the way you have to behave if you want to not alienate people you might have to work with later and get them to accept your agenda.

I think we need someone who does mean what he says to run the UCI

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Joachim said:
Cookson says he's not interested.

"He who bears the dagger, seldom wears the crown". -

golden rule of politics, you rarely get rewarded for perceived treachery, even if the treachery is warranted - better by far to give lukewarm support and then 'reluctantly agree' to take on the role 'in the interests of the sport' .

Plus, to be frank, several of the Brits (see Dave Millar) have attempted to take the line that Verbruggen is irredeemable and corrupt, whereas McQuaid is incompetent, but 'broadly honest'.

Now that maybe a simple divide and conquor strategy, or it may reflect something close to their actual thining - that McQuaid, whatever his faults, has been an improvement, and shouldn't be fed to the wolves like HV.

But don't believe for a second he's not interested. Reagan and thatcher weren't interested either.

TRENDING THREADS