• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson Q&A on Twitter

I've asked my question - will be interesting to see if it gets a reply...

I see Paul Kimmage has asked an interesting one:

Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage 6m
@cooksonforuci There were three plaintiffs (PMCQ, HB and UCI) on the legal suit I was served: Were you party to this decision? #askbrian

And MM:
Lance Armstrong ‏@lancearmstrong 16m
Question for @cooksonforuci - any plans to convene a Truth and Rec Commission to FULLY understand the mistakes of previous generations?

Anyone interested in a bit of a replay of it, either go to @cooksonforuci or search on #askbrian - as noted above, the questions he hasn't answered spoke volumes.

I'm certainly even less convinced that he's the 'knight in shining armour' that the UCI need, even though I already had my doubts. I guess this has just cemented them a little more.

He's interested in being 'more accessible', but apparently only when he wants to be.

JimmyFingers said:
Kimmage again displayed his mastery of making everything about him. That said I hope Cookson answers.

Reasonable questions, and if I were in Paul's shoes, I would want to know what type of person I was dealing with too.

For example, if he's going on about openness and transparency, and being anything but, then he's just a talking head and you know that THAT is all you're going to get as a President.

Helps frame a reference point for a candidate in my mind. I think he answered more with the questions he DIDN'T answer or address - even if it was to 'buy time' with a holding tweet of some sort.

For me - good questions Paul.

There were enough other people on there asking about things like T&R etc (including Wonderboy...) :rolleyes:

May 27, 2012
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Kimmage again displayed his mastery of making everything about him. That said I hope Cookson answers.

Yea, because he doesn't have any more skin in the game than anyone else...:rolleyes:

If you'd been sued by the UCI for telling the truth, I think maybe you'd ask the question also...

heart_attack_man said:
Anyone interested in a bit of a replay of it, either go to @cooksonforuci or search on #askbrian - as noted above, the questions he hasn't answered spoke volumes.

I'm certainly even less convinced that he's the 'knight in shining armour' that the UCI need, even though I already had my doubts. I guess this has just cemented them a little more.

He's interested in being 'more accessible', but apparently only when he wants to be.

Checking the cooksonforuci URL at Twitter list of posts does not show all the questions. Meanwhile, "#askbrian" is actually not distinct and the Twitter search function is so weak it's useless. Just a few of the ways Twitter discourages me from use!

It looks like the usual valid critics got ignored, Neil Browne, Paul Kimmage, he even ignored a few of Anto Moran's more direct questions.
Ignored this hot potato, "In nearly 20yrs, why hasn't BC made any substantial progress on improving race conditions on UK roads? "
Pretended DimSpace's excellent catch, 'Six months ago though, you said that womens cycling had no media interest, or sponsor interest and no to min wage' didn't exist when he claimed he will better promote Women's cycling.

The claim he's going to create an independent anti-doping body is junk. Just let WADA select athletes to test and open cases. Except that's not going to happen.

Promises, promises and more of the same coming from Cookson.

Brian Cookson

What did you think Mr Cookson came across as ?? in his Twitter Session..

Seems Paul Kimmage was not impressed, and he did not seem to want to answer any awkward questions..

https://twitter.com/PaulKimmage

He reminds me of Tony Blair when he was running for being Prime Minister

' Hey you can trust me I'm a nice guy ' !!!!

and look what damage he did !!

As he has appointed a top UK PR Company to run his campaign, then he was obviously being coached as to his replies.

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Evidently it was ignored...and at one point, that would have been enough to doom his chances...

.@lancearmstrong See my reply to @CrisTT Also would support a full truth and rec process if legal and practical hurdles can be overcome...

May 19, 2012
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:

What a joke!

The UCI sues the guy for telling the truth and you come up with the above?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
So much for transparency. I see JV is fully on the bandwagon too. surprise surprise.

Really? JVs on the bandwagon because he said it was good that Cookson is engaging with people and that its what good governance is about?

I normally appreciate your posts, but there is no need to add Hoggisms to something that just isn't there.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
"twitter.com/@CyclingDirectSA</a> Great potential in Africa (see Froome). Needs properly resourced UCI strategy. We need to listen to colleagues in Africa</p>&mdash; Brian Cookson OBE (@cooksonforuci)

South African diamond mines? Or Lots of voters? Or both?

"Needs properly resourced UCI strategy".

Oh and will this include women's racing?

Dr. Maserati said:
Really? JVs on the bandwagon because he said it was good that Cookson is engaging with people and that its what good governance is about?

I normally appreciate your posts, but there is no need to add Hoggisms to something that just isn't there.

The way that Cookson engaged this afternoon was the lightest-touch, most stage-managed thing ever, so for JV to be applauding that, then I can see The Sceptic's point.

He did NOT even address ANY of the difficult questions.

I was personally appalled at Cookson's light-hearted Q&A. Lots of serious questions, not many serious answers.

I don't see the link between suggesting that JV was on the bandwagon and a "Hoggism". I think you're drawing a long bow, personally.

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Cookson’s twitter Q & A - the answered questions:

@PrivacInfo: @cooksonforuci Will you seek to create a more transparent, accountable governing body? If so, how? #askbrian
@cooksonforuci: .@PrivacInfo Yes, creating an independent anti-doping body will be my top priority

@MrJRVincent: @cooksonforuci What are your plans, if any, for gravity MTB: DH, Enduro & 4X #askbrian
@cooksonforuci: .@MrJRVincent MTB is a really important part of the cycling world. I would like to see more done for DH in particular

@CrisTT: @cooksonforuci #askbrian if successful with UCI presidency, who would you like and trust to take over British Cycling leadership?
@cooksonforuci: .@CrisTT We currently have two vice-presidents who are very capable, but we have a democratic process and it will be up to our membership.
@cooksonforuci: Correction, in previous tweet i said vice-presidents. I should have said vice-chairmen!

@CrisTT: @cooksonforuci #askbrian what is your stance on need & timescales for a Truth and Reconciliation approach?
@cooksonforuci: .@CrisTT I would prioritise the allegations which implicate the UCI in cover-ups. Must be investigated independently and quickly.

@SuperBlue623: @cooksonforuci A tough subject Brian, would you back a campaign for multiple dopers to be handed lifetime bans, they ruin cycling #askbrian
@cooksonforuci: .@SuperBlue623 I fully support WADA’s move to longer bans but musn’t focus just on riders, but also doping enablers.

@JonnyMedland: @cooksonforuci Do you have a position on whether more track cycling events should be added to the Olympics? #askbrian
@cooksonforuci: .@JonnyMedland Yes. I would work with the IOC to push for additional events. I was very sorry to see the kilo removed for example

@gordonberry: @cooksonforuci Should UCI be in business of competing with race organisers by promoting new events like Tour of Beijing? #askbrian
@cooksonforuci: .@gordonberry We need to work to develop races around the world, but with existing and new organisers. Not in competition with them.

@lancearmstrong: Question for @cooksonforuci – any plans to convene a Truth and Rec Commission to FULLY understand the mistakes of previous generations?
@cooksonforuci: .@lancearmstrong See my reply to @CrisTT Also would support a full truth and rec process if legal and practical hurdles can be overcome

@luke0411: @cooksonforuci what are you plans to improve women’s cycling both at international and non international levels? #askbrian
@cooksonforuci: .@luke0411 Absolutely believe UCI needs to take women’s cycling much more seriously. It is currently lagging way behind.

@ChrisWalker__: @cooksonforuci how can you promote the sport effectively to potential sponsors, to prevent more situations like Rabbobank/Blanco? #askbrian
@cooksonforuci: .@ChrisWalker__ independent anti-doping = credibility = more sponsorship = more stability

@CyclingDirectSA: @cooksonforuci Do you intent to continue the support for cycling in Africa and if so how will you maintain the momentum? #askbrian
@cooksonforuci: .@CyclingDirectSA Great potential in Africa (see Froome). Needs properly resourced UCI strategy. We need to listen to colleagues in Africa

@DorsetVelo: @cooksonforuci Do you think there is a case to ban teams of doping riders from the next world tour event to help focus the teams? #askbrian
@cooksonforuci: .@DorsetVelo Definitely believe that the sanctions should impact more broadly than just on individual riders.

@JamesRobertsss: @cooksonforuci Brian, I’ve seen you two years running queuing for a hire car at Palma. Does this gig come with a limo? #askbrian
@cooksonforuci: .@JamesRobertsss Not too bothered about the limo. Still riding my bike everyday, intend to continue, including in Majorca if possible!

@stuartknipe: @cooksonforuci #askbrian If you become UCI pressident what will you do to support home governing bodies to promote grass roots cycling?
@cooksonforuci: .@stuartknipe BC’s success at growing grass roots sport can be replicated everywhere. Just need leadership, focus, resource and strategy

@euanlindsay: #askbrian do you ride a compact or standard double?
@cooksonforuci: .@euanlindsay Hey Euan, it’s my 62nd birthday on Saturday so obviously I ride a compact!

@SponserChris: Do you see the UCIs role as promoting cycle sport or promoting cycling as transport/ a leisure activity? Which gets priority? #askbrian
@cooksonforuci: .@SponserChris The UCI’s role is primarily sport, but I’d like to see BC’s expanded role into all forms replicated internationally.

@moran_anto: @cooksonforuci will you align UCI governance with best practices? #askbrian
@cooksonforuci: .@moran_anto Yes. Of course. Openness, transparency and proper corporate governance will be one of my priorities. Must restore trust!

@CyclingRox: .@cooksonforuci If you’ve not taken action while being a member of the UCI board, why should we expect anything different now? #AskBrian
@cooksonforuci: .@CyclingRox Being President would be very different to being on the management committee. My record as BC President stands for itself.

TRENDING THREADS