• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Copenhagen 2011: Elite Men TT 46.4km

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Midnightfright said:
Congrats Tony Martin. He has shown he's now then man to beat when it comes to the TT. Wiggans will be pleased also I guess he must know he had no chance at gold today.

Martin was untouchable today and has been the best TT-er this year. A good result for the Brits (I was expecting a bronze) and the Aussies. It will be interesting to see how Bobridge develops over the next few years.

Disappointments for me were Malori and Larsson. Porte, Grabsch and Bobridge all did good rides. Westra surprised as well. Congrats to Tony those were massive gaps. Poor Cancellara, losing to Wiggins by 4/5 seconds.

Could not stand the EuroSport commentators.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
T-Nielsen said:
Lets talk about the important stuff.

What about them blankets they had sitting on the hot seats. ;)

The national polyester fleece blanket of Kasakhstan was especially nice with it's large neoncoloured dots. :p

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
I don't think they were particularly Kazakhstanish. But yeah, totally nifty.

Not much hot seat about sitting there though...

You don't think it was part of the official kit? It matched so well with the jersey :D

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
simonk said:
309402_255508757820667_142348145803396_738176_1090578452_n.jpg

To be a part of this.. Fantastic. Epic. Will never forget it!! :)

Riis: "I have never seen so many spectators to a WC TT before". I know he is biased being a Dane and all, but I was really amazed how many ppl showed up so he might be right. But u ofc have to expect many ppl when it takes place down-town in a capital.

http://politiken.dk/sport/cykling/ECE1400819/riis-er-vild-med-vm-i-koebenhavn/ (in Danish).

Will be interesting to see the show-up sunday as it will take place in the subs and and not in actual Copenhagen. I hope it will live up to yesterday. Weather seems to be better at least.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
HL2037 said:
You don't think it was part of the official kit? It matched so well with the jersey :D

Btw, about their jersey wasnt that just the Astana suit where the "Astana" tag was replaced with a "kazakhstan" tag ?

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Cimber said:
Btw, about their jersey wasnt that just the Astana suit where the "Astana" tag was replaced with a "kazakhstan" tag ?

It looked that way. Come to think of it: What does the Kazakh national champion wear?

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
This:

And if those blankets were from the Kazakh team then they were being really nice; lending them out to everyone. :p

Ok ok :p Those blankets were not a good example of Scandinavian crafts and design to show the world, but I guess they did the job on a cold day.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Fus087 said:
This was an answer to "Mengis DSQ? Why?":

Apparently it wasn't slipstreaming, but the UCI being the UCI again:
http://www.radsport-news.com/sport/sportnews_71924.htm
(article in German)

Basically, the commissaires objected to his handlebar, saying it didn't match the new rules about width and length ("3:1 rule"). He put on handlebar tape until the commissaires were satisfied, and went to the start (and nearly fell off the ramp - who can blame him). But during the hour or so Mengis was out there, the UCI nitwits changed their mind and disqualified him after he finished.
That's outrageous.

I'm OK with rules being implemented, and also with commissaires being strict on them - even with this particular rule that seems to be pretty arbitrary.
But when you give the rider the green light to start, he should be allowed to stay in the results.
We're not talking about one of the top contenders (or even contenders) here, but about a rider to whom just riding here is the highlight of his career. He was going to finish in the bottom-10 anyway. What good did disqualifying him do?

I saw an Eritrean rider (most probably Mengis, he was on a TT bike) training on the course in the morning with a 2010 Team Type 1 jacket (he must have gotten that as a gift or something from TT1 in last year's Tour of Rwanda). If they can't even afford team jackets, why should they buy a new handlebar if the old one isn't broken?

Mengis came to Copenhagen to ride a bike and do a good time (for him). And I think he did that. Why do some UCI commissaires have to mess it up and destroy this great experience for him?
Couldn't they check the bike earlier than they did, so there's time to make changes if necessary?
Or if they're so ambitious about globalising cycling, why not support these exotic nations with a few bikes?

+1 Good post

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
taiwan said:
I'll be interested to see Martin's 2012. What can he do in stage races, given that he used his characteristics optimally this year: scoring big, and will likely develop further next year?

Tony stated that 2012 will be all about the Olympics/TT and he will pull through like this until season 2012.
After that he will try to loose as much weight as possible, so that it still makes sense and is still healthy, to then take a serious approach on consistent climbing in the high mountains.

Anyway, he will never be a new Ullrich. He was an outstanding talent, which don't fall from sky every year. No hopes here.

TRENDING THREADS