• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cops Called on USADA Suprise Test at USAC Event

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
zigmeister said:
Do you see a problem with USADA, this situation, and how they don't even follow their own protocol?

3 clowns with lanyards show up, unannounced at an event, and start claiming "we are here to do testing."

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. There are proper protocols and procedures that need to be followed, and rights of the promoter and competitors.

Next...see the link.

http://www.floridacleanridefund.com/

Florida, and this is primarily driven by the race organizers, teams and riders, are the only state trying to create a fund to have properly performed random USADA testing done at events in Florida.

Note the key words, properly performed. The questions and issues this incident raised have all been discussed regarding the process, methodologies and requirements of organizations and what it will take to make it happen without causing mayhem during the event.

USADA and USA Cycling really need to learn a lesson in basic partnership, communication, methodology and procedures when dealing with promoters and the members potentially involved and affected by this type of situation.

This should be filed under the "How not to go about performing doping controls at an amateur event" category.

If someone has some evidence/contracts to show that a promoter is required to allow unannounced USADA control people at your permitted events and must do whatever it required to comply with their needs...I would like to see that link or document.

+1. I don't race so I'm not going to read through the book, but I would think procedure would be to notify the promoter they would be in attendance.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
the big ring said:
As an amateur I would actually feel kinda honored to be dope controlled. And would never have a problem with it - coz I don't dope.
To be fair, it does sound like this is the first time USADA have conducted testing in this way with this particular promoter. I can understand he would have some concern but in the current climate would not be calling the police first, I'd be exploring race-based USAC / USOC / USADA avenues instead.

Thinking further, it would seem this is the first time this promoter has ever had a race dope controlled, which seems strange given it appears he runs a number of events.

el oh el to the nufties bleating about USADA having to warn promoters they are going to be at the race before race time for "unannounced" doping controls. What planet, seriously? :eek:

Never had one sinus headache and taken something over counter for it?:p

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
mksndz said:
Wow, a lot of stupid stuff in this thread, as usual.

I'm an ex-Florida MTB racer. I know the scene and the promoter in question. Very interesting turn of events to say the least.

It's safe to say there's been a problem with dopers in Florida, and people lately have tried to do something about it. Somebody already posted about the Florida Clean Ride Fund, which is just starting up. Unfortunately most of the "big" Florida teams have not signed up (surprise). Some top roadies also race in the MTB series so its perfectly reasonable to assume that people could be doping in a silly Florida "local" MTB race.

We also have at least 1 MTB rider who has some decent results on the National level, Ryan Woodall.

http://twitter.com/ryan_woodall

He claims to be one of those targeted for testing by these USADA testers. For the conspiracy types, Ryan and the race promoter are very close and live in the same smallish town (Ocala, FL). Were testers to inform the promoter ahead of time that there would be testing at the event word would spread very quickly i fear, and surely no one would be 'glowing' or whatever.

Thanks for filling in some of the details, such as why this promoter would be so against having his event drug tested. That doesn't sound like a tin-foil hat conspiracy to me, that sounds like logic.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
zigmeister said:
. . . . Originally Posted by MacRoadie View Post
Especially when USADA pays for all unannounced testing:

http://www.usacycling.org/forms/mtb/...controlMTB.pdf

It states exactly what should happen to perform controls. Three guys with lanyards show up and apparently none of the USA Cycling controls document were even followed.

Here is the first sentence from the document:

"There are 4 ways that a race has anti-doping as shown below. In all cases, either the UCI-appointed Doping Control Officer (DCO) or the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) DCO will contact the organizer and inform him or her of what premises are needed and how many chaperones will be needed."

So, did they do that? No, the promoter had no knowledge these guys were showing up, who they were, and why they were there, except their lanyards and verbal claims. Mr Law enforcement, please tell these clowns to leave my promotion I'm permitted to perform in this city/county within these premises....good day.

Two curiosities here:
1. You point to a USA Cycling document. But this was a control carried out by the USADA, as you know.
2. The link to the document no longer works. (USA Cycling took it down? when? why?)

Why would a promoter want to know in advance that the USADA was going to carry out doping controls? Why would a promoter care?

On the lanyards were ID cards that supported verbal claims. What did the promoter think: These must be spy martians coming to steal athletes' urine to power their UFO's? (In that case, good they called the cops.)

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I Watch Cycling In July said:
So, this is a great opportunity for people in the US to make a bit of a stir over some of the problems in cycling. What are you going to do?

Sorry, but I don't see this as a "US only" problem. Read the police report.

So, this is a great opportunity for people in the US to make a bit of a stir over some of the problems in cycling. What are you going to do?

Name them and shame them. For the nine years the promoters David and Terri Berger have been doing races they should know better. I whole lot better.

My suspicions got a little more credibility with the former local racer's post that the promoter did not have the best intentions calling the police. I wish it were different.

Let's be fair to promoters using USAC sanctioning. There probably are a number of promoters who have no problem with surprise testing. We don't know who they are because there are no police reports.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
FLCX.org report of the incident: http://flcx.org/usada-at-florida-mtb-race/

". . . . I am of the opinion that if USADA wants to be taken seriously they must behave professionally, and follow a standard for in-competition controls. I am not talking about the standards of “chain of command,” but event standards with the promoter, officials and riders. Do it right, or don’t do it at all. Doing it this way just makes Lance Armstrong’s nonsense arguments against USADA look like they might have merit, and why on earth would someone want to do that? . . . "

I am of the opinion that the USADA should insist that David Berger does some answering for this.

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I do not understand why the USADA stepped down.

I hope the promoter gets a well deserved ban for interfering with the doping control, and when he returns, that his races are targeted for testing.

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
What? They bring you all the way out to pee in a field??

What about my human/constitutional/Religious rights to avoid unannounced test that I agreed to?

You can not be forced to do it, but refusing it will be taken as a positive result of doping test.

ulrikmm said:
I do not understand why the USADA stepped down.

USADA is the weakest party in that standoff. Just as WADA is by far the weakest agency in athletics. They play an advisory role to the sports federations who sign onto the WADA standard. No authority.

I have to dig around rules to see if the promoter has any consequences for preventing the sampling. It's going to take me a while, so if you have the time please feel free to get started.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Nothing will get done. This is not July and nobody is watching cycling unless it is July. ;)

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys for the nice words, support and emails!! I believe and support testing in all levels of the sport. Unfortunately, since Sunday I have been criticized by some people in Florida, but I know I did the right thing by trying to explain and prove to the race director and the police officer that USADA were and are allowed to test at all USAC sanctioned events. Hopefully this will get resolved and incidents like this will not happen again.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
The story is not complete as I don't know all of the background, but thanks to the UCI Overlord for posting links to the images.

In Tallahassee, Florida, race organizer named David Berger calls the police to prevent USADA from performing surprise testing:

Top part of the incident report:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-.../AAAAAAAAFxk/kIrh2OC4dyI/s576/tallyusada1.jpg

Bottom part of the incident report:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-.../AAAAAAAAFxo/HxKbOyyBGSE/s512/tallyusada2.jpg

I'm SHOCKED(!) a USA Cycling race organizer goes to great lengths to prevent USADA from testing weekend warriors.

One positive aspect of the report, a racer walks up and requests to be tested which ends up teaching the officer by showing him the USAC license where it clearly states the license holder agrees to be tested.

WADA chief has read Tyler's book and he said they are re-writing the WADA code. He knows the so called "surprise" is a joke. The race directors warn the cycling Dons who tell the riders, who then take masking agents or do a lot of peeing. I want to see more of this real surprises, race directors should get NO prior warning. They do this and tons of atlethes will be caught. WADA chief said doping numbers are in the double digits although he thinks true numbers are higher. Another joke, if we get this kind of true surprises, MANY sports not just cycling will close down.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Brazilmtbracer said:
Thank you guys for the nice words, support and emails!! I believe and support testing in all levels of the sport. Unfortunately, since Sunday I have been criticized by some people in Florida, but I know I did the right thing by trying to explain and prove to the race director and the police officer that USADA were and are allowed to test at all USAC sanctioned events. Hopefully this will get resolved and incidents like this will not happen again.

Please keep it up. I was at Master's Natz in Bend last week. Talking with friends about USADA and how riders in our neighborhood generally supported them. A couple of bystanders seemed very interested which shouldn't be out of character except that they were attentive. Then I noticed that they were part of the USA Cycling management when one picked up his jacket with the logo on it. I know there was testing because a nice girl wearing USADA credentials waited patiently while I talked to Bart Bowen (third in his crit-congrats again). '
Would really like to know how the behind the scenes chatter was going in Steve Johnson's circle.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
jilbiker said:
WADA chief has read Tyler's book and he said they are re-writing the WADA code. He knows the so called "surprise" is a joke. The race directors warn the cycling Dons who tell the riders, who then take masking agents or do a lot of peeing. I want to see more of this real surprises, race directors should get NO prior warning. They do this and tons of atlethes will be caught. WADA chief said doping numbers are in the double digits although he thinks true numbers are higher. Another joke, if we get this kind of true surprises, MANY sports not just cycling will close down.

I wouldn't paint all of the race directors with that same brush. Some race directors actually want testing, and are willing to pay for it. Others actually want it but either can't afford it or are too cheap. Then some others just want to protect their doped-up friends.

I do agree with your point though regarding truly "surprise" testing. The first 2 things any domestic pro learns: EPO isn't actually expensive, and the "random surprise" controls are neither.

The promoter should have been flattered.

His event is/was confirmed as being important.

Now, he has confirmed that he is a facilitator. Clean cyclists will steer clear, and dopers will be worried about more surprises in the future...

Dave.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Brazilmtbracer said:

What you did was great. You stood up for what was right as well as for the sport and for yourself. I'm sure it was not obvious or easy to stand up that way, not nearly as easy as it is for us to make postings here.

You deserve your saddle. Congratulations on taking 4th. Even more, congratulations on that small but significant act of heroism. It is worth more than 7 Tour titles won off the back of athletes like you.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
I posted a comment on that blog challenging the way a number of facts from the police report were smoothed over to reach the bloggers conclusion. What a surprise, the comment was not approved.

Florida's competitive cycling scene has a doping problem....

Congratulations, DirtyWorks. There is nothing more complimentary than getting a comment "disapproved." And yes, isn't it telling.

"Human kind cannot bear very much reality."

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Please keep it up. I was at Master's Natz in Bend last week. Talking with friends about USADA and how riders in our neighborhood generally supported them. A couple of bystanders seemed very interested which shouldn't be out of character except that they were attentive. Then I noticed that they were part of the USA Cycling management when one picked up his jacket with the logo on it. I know there was testing because a nice girl wearing USADA credentials waited patiently while I talked to Bart Bowen (third in his crit-congrats again). '
Would really like to know how the behind the scenes chatter was going in Steve Johnson's circle.

Ditto to what Oldman said.

And on another note, Oldman why didn't you introduce yourself. I was up in Bend for the RR and crit. I finished 89th in the Road Race (but made it to the base of the final climb with the group so I was proud of myself, not a climber!!) and 35th in the crit. It was FAST and ridiculously fun. Lots of crashes though.

Berger should be banned immediately from participating in any capacity in cycling. For life.

Complaint should be made to police dept for vexatian. Berger has EVERY knowledge and experience of USADA. Get the cops to charge him with making a false complaint.

Begs the question though, who was Berger trying to protect?