• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coverting to No-Tube - help

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to convert my Cross bike to tubeless. The wheels I am trying to convert are Vuellta XRP pros and am trying to use the stan tubeless cross conversion kit. I have followed all the directions including drilling out the valve stem hole to 3/8 inch. I assume I have to use tubeless tires. I have got some Kenda Bulldog 700 x 34 but I can not get them on. It is not even close. I tried two different tires in case one was missed marked and it is the same.

I put my other clinchers on which are Kenda Kwicker 700 x 32 but I could not get them to get into the under the rim lip around the stem.

Couple of questions:

Am I correct in assuming I have to use tubeless tires?

Any idea how to get on the Kenda Bulldogs?

Stan directions say you can use a floor pump and not to use a CO2 canister is that all true?

STODRR said:
I am trying to convert my Cross bike to tubeless. The wheels I am trying to convert are Vuellta XRP pros and am trying to use the stan tubeless cross conversion kit. I have followed all the directions including drilling out the valve stem hole to 3/8 inch. I assume I have to use tubeless tires. I have got some Kenda Bulldog 700 x 34 but I can not get them on. It is not even close. I tried two different tires in case one was missed marked and it is the same.

I put my other clinchers on which are Kenda Kwicker 700 x 32 but I could not get them to get into the under the rim lip around the stem.

Couple of questions:

Am I correct in assuming I have to use tubeless tires?

Any idea how to get on the Kenda Bulldogs?

Stan directions say you can use a floor pump and not to use a CO2 canister is that all true?

Not get on meaning you the tires seem too small to get over the rim or once on, you can't seat them? If just too small, some makers have gone to carbon beads but made them the same diameter which means(like some Hutchisons) cannot get them on.

BEST to use true tubeless tires otherwise at low-ish pressures and bumps, you WILL burp air outta them.

CANNOT generally seat tubeless with a floor pump. Compressor required or a tub full of CO2 cannisters.

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Not get on meaning you the tires seem too small to get over the rim or once on, you can't seat them? If just too small, some makers have gone to carbon beads but made them the same diameter which means(like some Hutchisons) cannot get them on.

Yea that is what I ment. they are too small and can not get them on. They do have a carbon bead and that is what I was wondering about

BEST to use true tubeless tires otherwise at low-ish pressures and bumps, you WILL burp air outta them.

CANNOT generally seat tubeless with a floor pump. Compressor required or a tub full of CO2 cannisters.

Thanks