• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CQ ranking

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
First of all, I think it's up to Hugo.

Secondly I think emulation is the highest form of flattery.

Thirdly, it does feel kind of bad that I forgot about Haussler. With hindsight I would always put him in my team. However, as has been mentioned before, it's just a game.

And to conclude. I'm happy with the current setup of the competition

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Your a funny guy.

You tell us to quit this competition if we dont like the fact that some people come in with near perfect lists, but then tell us we should stick with one competition.

Going by your logic, if you dont like other competitions, dont join them :rolleyes:

Yes, that's exactly right.

If you don't like it, don't join or don't take part. There's no money involved. It's a friendly thing to make the season a bit more interesting. There's no point in becoming a rules lawyer about it or complaining because someone has an advantage... it's just for fun. There really is no reason to complain about it.

If it weren't for the administrative mess involved, I'd say let everyone change their teams as much as they want up to the 31st... but that would just be annoying for Hugo. The only change I'd make to my team would be to add some zero point guys to get to the 33 rider limit

And finally... if years of fantasy sports have taught me anything, it's that there is no perfect list. My bet is the winner at the end of the year will not be one of the lists thought to be good right now.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
You are mistaken Kurtinsc. My list is the winning list. I am sure. :)
Any way, for those who are very bent on proving their cyclingknowledge. You can always start another competition with different rules, but the good thing about the competitions as it is is the simplicity. The discussion seems a bit of a ****ing contest with "Cyclingsavvy" at the center of it. Nobody ever pays attention to journalists picks and they are always way of (especially Cyclingnews': this doesn't mean they don't know cycling. Okay sometimes it does but that's not the point.

edit: I never imagined a urinating contest to be rude language

Ok. In light of kurtsinic’s exagerations, I would like to clear this up..

No one is “***** off” and everyone understands that it is just a game so please stop the “its just a game” jabs. We understand that its just a game. We never urged hugo to change rules or interfered with his running of the game or anything of the sort. Our ONLY suggestion from the start was of an asterix above those who go their lists in originally. Hardly sounds like a suggestion by those who are taking it super seriously no?

But even without this, as Ferminal said those of us who entered earlier and post regularly can judge the list between themselves. And he is right.

And ill add that the the creation of a second thread for mini games spawned NOT from protest at this one but from the claim by many that they would happily take part in these mini games, because they are bored.

There it is.

Any questions?

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
But even without this, as Ferminal said those of us who entered earlier and post regularly can judge the list between themselves. And he is right.

Any questions?

What if you posted well before the deadline but are not a regular poster? Does this disqualify someone for anything? Because I like throwing the first rock and pass judgment on pretty much anything:)

Contre la montre said:
What if you posted well before the deadline but are not a regular poster? Does this disqualify someone for anything? Because I like throwing the first rock and pass judgment on pretty much anything:)
Well, you have the whole season to become a regular and avoid funny looks.

Anyway, I'm surprised some people took this so seriously. You'd think all the talk about a hardcore competition, asterisks and Riis would have made it obvious. Oh well. Next time let's call it X-TREME so that no one can talk about it with a straight face.

Hi, if inscriptions are still open, I would like to join. I admit I took a few glances at some of the lists before considering to join the game but I tried not to use the knowledge during the composition of my team.

BOOM Lars 463
PHINNEY Taylor 217
HOWARD Leigh 155
BOONEN Tom 777
HAUSSLER Heinrich 251
MAASKANT Martijn 118
CIOLEK Gerald 346
OFFREDO Yoann 304
SOUPE Geoffrey 8
ULISSI Diego 246
PINOT Thibaut 241
LE BON Johan 112
QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander 72
BRUSEGHIN Marzio 123
BONNIN Thomas 49
SLAGTER Tom Jelte 52
FELLINE Fabio 288
NOCENTINI Rinaldo 227
SICARD Romain 174
GERRANS Simon 140
GAUTIER Cyril 287
POSTHUMA Joost 99
TEKLEHAIMANOT GIRMAZION Daniel 116
NAVARRO GARCIA Daniel 90
REIMER Martin 89
VANDE VELDE Christian 90
VAN AVERMAET Greg 632
KRISTOFF Alexander 406
MOLLEMA Bauke 524
FEILLU Brice 70
CLEMENT Stef 54
VAN GARDEREN Tejay 531
BOBRIDGE Jack 149
Total 7500

What do you think?

Barrus said:
Sneekes, seriously? DiReally? It looks like a list of all the bargains that were found be all the people up 'till that point.

What a commotion.

As you're interested Barrus: most of my team is made up of me looking at the bottom half of the CQ ranking picking riders who missed a proportion of last season through injury or a ban, not rocket science - and already identified as a common tactic earlier on in the thread. As someone else said (Hitch?) - it's a largely a question of maths so those who've put a lot of thought in are going to come out with similar teams.
However, I had read the thread, and I cannot 'un-know' what I learned in that thread, and if I'm honest - if I hadn't seen some of those teams I'm not sure I would have added Cobo or Van Poppell.

Anyway, I don't want to ruin what could be a fun game. So I'll withdraw my team with no hard feelings at all.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
ACF you are already in the competition. Why would you want to cheat by setting up a second account just to make a better list?

:p:p:p;)

Contre la montre said:

The point about the regular posters is we are more familiar with them and hence more likely to track their scores and remember their successes.

Having an avatar helps too ;)

Like i said about the tour game. I dont know who came 1st but i know Timmy loves Rabo did well.

So if your not a regular poster, thats ok, doesnt mean your score doesnt count, just less likely to get noticed is all.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Personally I feel running a second competition isn't the best idea. It just dilutes the value of the original one. We all know who submitted teams early, or whose team was clearly an original creation. Winning is irrelevant, it's about seeing your decisions pay off and knowing your assessment was accurate. Those that didn't pick solely from starting at the Shark and going down to the 1 pointers will not be able to derive such satisfaction.

A second competition just makes this feel inferior.

Maybe if you feel something is missing there could be mini-games for the early classics season and GTs etc.

i totally agree, a second competition takes something away from the first... i don't like it. Nor do i like the Astrix idea. If people cheated after the deadline... I agree it sucks, but the odd individual who does cheat shouldn't reflect on the others. I don't like the Astrix separating a group of people.

ANd as Ferminal said to me in the pm, the real winner will come from those who post here regularly.

this. No offense to those who just come on the odd date, but for me it will be most fun with the competition amongst the regulars, whom we debate and argue with in every other thread :p

---

i saw 1 league, that's it. No hardcore, no polkadt etc. Just 1 league !

I am however down for a prediction game also running , like we had in the 09' season. That was pretty cool. But for the CQ game, one league only please, anything more just takes the unique feeling away.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Quite a bit exluding, trying to label other peoples teams. So what? At least if this is run next year HK or others now know how to do it. An all-in easy going comp will be more fun. Just leave it as is (except for others joining). Oh and for what its worth, I haven't even bothered looking through the excel sheet comparing teams, so I have no idea which of my riders are the same or 'common' (I can guess though).

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
this. No offense to those who just come on the odd date, but for me it will be most fun with the competition amongst the regulars, whom we debate and argue with in every other thread :p

I am however down for a prediction game also running , like we had in the 09' season. That was pretty cool. But for the CQ game, one league only please, anything more just takes the unique feeling away.

I agree with this sentiment. For me, at least, the fun is - and I hesitatingly add 'almost' because any other enjoyment is quite small - all in the talking about it, the analyzing who got what good pick on a certain day, or making fun of your 'friends'/other regulars who are also competing, and with whom you are familiar with enough to have some sporting back-and-forths. I mean, I read a LOT more than I post on here so people aren't as familiar with me, but I'm familiar with them and hopefully that dynamic will change with a game like this where we're all chatting about it.

I was super stoked about the prediction game in '09, and unfortunately couldn't keep up with it in the spring when I worked in the wilderness and didn't have enough internet access to enter my Giro picks on time. This competition will be much better, having only one time to choose, but a whole year to discuss.

Hitch, that's awesome that you're interested in running supplementary competitions, and I'm sure lots of people are glad to participate, and it provides a good competition for anyone who feels sullied by any perceived lack of a level playing field here. I'm sure kurtinsc's opinion will be reinforced there - if people don't want to play it, they won't. That's the nice thing about a message board like this, we can do (within reason) whatever the heck we want.

Hugo Koblet said:
Announcement

I will have a maximum of 25 entrants in the competition. Otherwise it becomes too enormous and I would have to put too much work into it.

We are currently at 19 competitors - myself included.

Holy ****! I'll try to enter this competition asap. I totally missed this thread somehow. I just need to find the time to make my top25.

Hugo Koblet said:
You're a little late then. We've already got 55 entrants :)

...but don't worry - the 25-limit is off.

And just to make the rules clear, you may choose anywhere between 25 and 33 riders :)

Heh I was about to edit my post when I noticed there were way more then 25 people registered allready, but you are very fast :)
Great iniative Hugo.

Kwibus said:
Heh I was about to edit my post when I noticed there were way more then 25 people registered allready, but you are very fast :)
Great iniative Hugo.

A quick update:

We're now at 56 entrants in the competition.

The following teams need editing because they exceed the 7500 limit:

Vonn Brinkmann: 7758
Tuarts: 7645
luckyboy: 7502

I guess there's till one more update to follow from CQ Ranking so there might be some small changes in the points. I'll let you know though.

Once the final update has been uploaded on CQ Ranking which I suspect will be the 31st of december, I will let you know which teams need editing and you will be given a few days to do so.

Once that final editing deadline has passed, any team still exceeding the 7500 limit, I will edit myself based on the following method:

If a team has a 2010 value of say 7751 points, I will delete the rider which value is higher than but closest to the surplus points. In this case, 251 points should be removed from the team, which is exactly what Haussler costs, so he will be deleted (in this case we assume he's in the team:)).

I hope you understand the method :)

I've read this forum for a while, never actually posted though. But this game looked really good, so when i was reading it firday night i made myself a team, then registered, thinking i would just have to register and send it in, i had to wait for 2 days to be confirmed, by that time i admit i had read the teams and changed it a bit before i sent it a couple of days ago, the teams are actually a lot more varied than i expected anyway though.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this game goes and will try and actually post a bit after just reading.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Idea: Top 10 overall CQ game

So since we have this awesome CQ game going I was also thinking about having a game for the top 10/20/50 or whatever number of overall CQ ranked riders for 2011.

Very simple concept. You will guess the Top 10 riders CQ ranked at the end of the 2011 season.

You get 1 point for every rider you got in top 10 (20/50) and additional points for correct rankings. 10 points if you can guess the winner 9 points for second guy etc all the way to 1 point for rider who was tenth. (or 20 down to 1 if we have top 20 game)

Discuss ....

Hugo Koblet said:
The following teams need editing because they exceed the 7500 limit:
luckyboy: 7502

2 points :(

New Team.

CAVENDISH Mark 1241
SCHLECK Andy 1190
MENCHOV Denis 882
KARPETS Vladimir 424
BOZIC Borut 370
SIUTSOU Kanstantsin 121