• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CQ ranking

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
Well first of all i did look at most of those teams earlier.

But second of all, I say bottom half is far less threatening because the cut off point for top and bottom half is 10 000 points and anyone under 10 000 points will struggle to make up a 3- 4000 point deficit based solely on young riders.

Some young riders break out, some dont. Caught dopers and high scorers who were injured last year, on the other hand, have a far greater likelyhood for success, and a far greater potential for multiplying their score.

Maybe but dopers usually do not have such a great year when they come back, and injured riders also have trouble going back to the top. But even so, if they manage to come back successfully they are going to be limited to their standards quotas whereas young riders, which we do not know the limits might range anywhere from 2000 (highly unlikely) to 0.
So young riders are no better or worse than dopers/injured but more risky ;)

As for making up 3-4000 points, as you pointed out earlier, it easy for ProTour riders to gain 200 poins just finishing races, and for a neopro which started at near 0, it makes a lot of points (15 youngs * 200 points for finishing = 3000 points, there you go ;)). But I guess same point can be make for dopers (between us, I didn't take any because of personal conviction and also because they tend to be caught again :p).

Anyway,
Bobridge + Gerrans + Howard = 232 points in a race, must be a new world record :D

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Clearly hitch knows which riders are going to perform this year ;)

Seriously tho, it is very early days, at this point the scores mean very little, yes bobridge is a good buy (originally had him I'n my team too) but it is very early. Plus luckily Australia is not the only national championships ;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
This great climbing talent didn't manage to outclimb the sprinter Michael Matthews though ;)
Well the guy finished
8th on a climbing stage in the Tour de L'avenir
2nd overall in thuringen Rundfahrt (3 top 10 stage finishes)
6th Overall in the Olympia Tour (8th in the ITT)
2nd in a stage of the Tour of Slovakia
3rd overall at the Tour of Korea (won two stages)
1st Tour of Malaysia (won a stage)
3rd Tour of Wellington (4 top 10 stage finishes)

And he's only just 21. I think he is a better climber than Matthews. ;)
Hugo Koblet said:
You're crushed by PCutter though. He has Jack Bodridge, William Clarke, Simon Gerrans, Matthew Goss, Leigh Howard, Cameron Meyer, Travis Meyer and Wesley Sulzberger so thats 418 points right there :p

I got 48 points!:p (26 Roe & 22 with howard)

Roe could turn out to be a great buy. He should have podiumed in Avenir, but a broken collarbone after two crashes destroyed his chances. He should have a great time at BMC mentored by Evans and will get his own chances due to the lack of overall stage race contenders at BMC .

And there's no doubt that he's a better climber than Matthews.

I didn't dare to pick him, though, but I foresee greater things from him than TOAK (The Overhyped Alexander Kristoff)..;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Kazistuta said:
Roe could turn out to be a great buy. He should have podiumed in Avenir, but a broken collarbone after two crashes destroyed his chances. He should have a great time at BMC mentored by Evans and will get his own chances due to the lack of overall stage race contenders at BMC .

And there's no doubt that he's a better climber than Matthews.

I didn't dare to pick him, though, but I foresee greater things from him than TOAK (The Overhyped Alexander Kristoff)..;)
Lelangue said he would be riding catalunya, pais vasco, romandie and the dauphine.

And the fact that Meyer gets so much hype about being the next big gc rider in Australia is astonishing. What result proves he can climb? Roe has ersults that prove he good be a very good stage racer. He has a good tt and can climb very well.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I do think roe is probably australia's most promising climber, certainly more so then Meyer (agree that his gt hype is laughable) and Matthews (who will not be a climber). But progress can be unpredictable. I think roe will have a good debut season anyway (with the big men). Should be a good roi anyway.

It's a good result for all who have Jack in their team, but I'm still happy I didn't take the risk. I would have had him 150-250 as his target score for the season which wouldn't be enough on the "Hitch Method". But now I guess he will push 250-350 if he manages another win like ENECO and gets a few top30s overall at TdU, ENECO etc. He should pick up another 30 or 40 in the TT if he's still going to ride it (wouldn't blame him if he pulled out though).

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Don't be embarrassed of having Tanner. He is a good rider.

I must admit to not knowing a lot about him, but I seem to remember him riding well at the Tour of Utah. I picked him because he might have the chance of riding bigger races than last year with his new team so hopefully do OK.

The Youngest will be surprised I picked Bos, I didnt realise he doesnt ride TDU - my mistake..

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Surprised to find I have so many unique picks - Carlos Barredo (430), Hans Dekkers (13), Mirco Lorezetto (203), and Tomasz Nose (47). Also got another 3 riders that only one other player picked - Thomas Dekker (189), Kristoff Goddaert (171) and Egor Silin (120)

EvansIsTheBest said:
Maybe but dopers usually do not have such a great year when they come back, and injured riders also have trouble going back to the top. But even so, if they manage to come back successfully they are going to be limited to their standards quotas whereas young riders, which we do not know the limits might range anywhere from 2000 (highly unlikely) to 0.
So young riders are no better or worse than dopers/injured but more risky ;)

As for making up 3-4000 points, as you pointed out earlier, it easy for ProTour riders to gain 200 poins just finishing races, and for a neopro which started at near 0, it makes a lot of points (15 youngs * 200 points for finishing = 3000 points, there you go ;)). But I guess same point can be make for dopers (between us, I didn't take any because of personal conviction and also because they tend to be caught again :p).

Anyway,
Bobridge + Gerrans + Howard = 232 points in a race, must be a new world record :D

The other points i couldnt make because i was 5 minutes behind schedule when i pressed submit was that young riders are far less likely to be given team leader roles. Domestiquing obviously gets you far less points. The dopers - Di Luca, Schumacher, *Pellizoti, Kash etc the injured - Haussler, Vandevelde etc and the proved winners who didnt race in europe- SOler, Rujano, Duarte, Blanco -cost the same, but are far more likely to be given support, meaning even if they fail they get more points.

And yes, 2009 ranking in theory doesnt mean anything, and it could all turn on its head, but it is a good guide with which to look at teams.

Statistically people who have many of the superbuys (the list i keep repeating, CVV schumacher, Kash, Di Luca, Soler, CObo, Gerrans, Haussler, Rujano, Pellizoti, Deigan, Ballan etc) are far more likely to appear on the top of the 2009 list. And i maintain that these riders are of HUGE importance. I will go as far as to predict that anyone who has less than half of them will not finish top 10.

And while i know your joking about the 232 being a world record, what do you expect from the Aussie road race, when your list has a disproportionate ammount of Aussies.

Anyway, Boonen will clock that in PR alone.

The Hitch said:
The other points i couldnt make because i was 5 minutes behind schedule when i pressed submit was that young riders are far less likely to be given team leader roles. Domestiquing obviously gets you far less points. The dopers - Di Luca, Schumacher, *Pellizoti, Kash etc the injured - Haussler, Vandevelde etc and the proved winners who didnt race in europe- SOler, Rujano, Duarte, Blanco -cost the same, but are far more likely to be given support, meaning even if they fail they get more points.

And yes, 2009 ranking in theory doesnt mean anything, and it could all turn on its head, but it is a good guide with which to look at teams.

Statistically people who have many of the superbuys (the list i keep repeating, CVV schumacher, Kash, Di Luca, Soler, CObo, Gerrans, Haussler, Rujano, Pellizoti, Deigan, Ballan etc) are far more likely to appear on the top of the 2009 list. And i maintain that these riders are of HUGE importance. I will go as far as to predict that anyone who has less than half of them will not finish top 10.

And while i know your joking about the 232 being a world record, what do you expect from the Aussie road race, when your list has a disproportionate ammount of Aussies.

Anyway, Boonen will clock that in PR alone.

For the Aussies, all my three none German (understand Haussler) ones scored, which I would say is not a disproportionate amount (given that Australia is now a major nation of cycling) but I agree that points now will have barely any consequences in the rankings, and might even be harmful as it show the riders are in form WAY too early. In anycase what is been scored, well that's that less I need in order to win/get an honourable ranking ;)
It is true that dopers/injured will have more responsability and might score more but I, for one, prefer to find a good young pick that will score slightly less than dopers but that fewer choose.
As for the "superbuys" importance, the fact that many have some if not all of them greatly diminish their overall impact on the ranking and there will always be a youngster that will score more (but it is more random). This is why finding the new Sagan, will be as if not more rewarding (in every sense of the word) as having Cobo, Deignan...

The Hitch said:
The most likely contender out of these however is skidmark whose team i assessed a few pages back. Looking at it again, he has all of the guys tipped for success, but as i pointed out, i think the 3 of Van garderen, Kreuziger and Gusev will cost him ( as well as Efimkins retirement).

Well, that my in fact be the case (I'm starting to second guess Krueziger, and think maybe the best thing for him would be to crash out of the Giro early, come back strong for Suisse and help Vino in TdF, then go for the Vuelta - ugh), but that's down the road. All I can do for right now is brag about this mini-victory (plus Gerrans in 3rd). Whooo!

Like you say, many of the teams have the same contenders, and my team has no guys of note (ie. that I expect to get more than a few hundred points) that less than 5 or so others have picked, but I think it's a matter of the right combination, all the right tools in the toolbox.

And I knew Efimkin was kinda retired when I picked him. But if he comes back he's a good buy, and the news article seemed kinda ambiguous... and even so, it's 20 points, what can you do?

EvansIsTheBest said:
). This is why finding the new Sagan, will be as if not more rewarding (in every sense of the word) as having Cobo, Deignan...

No it wont.

Are people actually under the impression that they will find another Sagan?

Well even if you did, and an increase from 84 to 929 in a youngster is very rare, but if you did, I think this 1000 point increase will be absorbed by the collective power of the guys i listed. There are just too many riders this year who had low Cq scores but tons of potential for very high ones. TOo many. 1 Sagan, even 2 sagans(unrealistic) or for the sake of argument 3, i think will be absorbed.

Meanwhile the rest of your youngsters are getting a stage opportunity here, a break there, and finishing races. Not really increasing much on their totals.

And when you say that there would be more pleasure in getting points with a undiscovered youngster than with a obvious pick, well there are other games for that. A point is a point.

skidmark said:
Well, that my in fact be the case (I'm starting to second guess Krueziger, and think maybe the best thing for him would be to crash out of the Giro early, come back strong for Suisse and help Vino in TdF, then go for the Vuelta - ugh), but that's down the road. All I can do for right now is brag about this mini-victory (plus Gerrans in 3rd). Whooo!

Like you say, many of the teams have the same contenders, and my team has no guys of note (ie. that I expect to get more than a few hundred points) that less than 5 or so others have picked, but I think it's a matter of the right combination, all the right tools in the toolbox.

And I knew Efimkin was kinda retired when I picked him. But if he comes back he's a good buy, and the news article seemed kinda ambiguous... and even so, it's 20 points, what can you do?

Its not the 20 points that matter its the pick. 33 is better than 32. To me anyway.

As far as too many people having the same picks goes, well thats true with Barbie and Delfino but none of the others were picked up by more than half. Well CVV was but thats it. Soler and Gerrans 43 each, but then Cobo 35, Rujano 24, Kashechkin 30, Diluca 22, Schumacher 11.

Once you start adding them up only about 20 people have a majority of these riders. So if you have most of these riders, and you do, you are starting with an massive advantage over 3/4 of the field.

Thats a very good position to be in.

skidmark said:

Its not the 20 points that matter its the pick. 33 is better than 32. To me anyway.

As far as too many people having the same picks goes, well thats true with Barbie and Delfino but none of the others were picked up by more than half. Well CVV was but thats it. Soler and Gerrans 43 each, but then Cobo 35, Rujano 24, Kashechkin 30, Diluca 22, Schumacher 11.

Once you start adding them up only about 20 people have a majority of these riders. So if you have most of these riders, and you do, you are starting with an massive advantage over 3/4 of the field.

Thats a very good position to be in.

hrotha said:
Well, someone out there has probably picked the next Sagan out of sheer dumb luck.

Yes but its not dumb luck. According to the thing 5 people picked young Juraj;)

But seriously do you think any youngster will achieve this next season-

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider_palm.asp?riderid=12193&year=2010&all=0&current=0

To come from obscurity to be finishing seconds behind Canc in prologues, beating the best in the world at Paris Nice, taking Rogers and Zabriskie at Cali, and taking on those amazing fields in Canada and podiuming?

The first update is out!

microdose and his australian national team has taken the lead and is the first official leader of the 2011 CQ Ranking Manager Game!

Top 10:

1. microdose 495 points
2. Pcutter 418 points
3. trotters aotearoa 325 points
4. Spider1964 290 points
5. AAC1983 263 points
6. Kevin Rudd's Hairdryer 248 points
7. EvansIsTheBest 232 points
8. LukeSchmid 219 points
9. deValtos 215 points
10. coppiman 211 points

The spreadsheet can be downloaded here:
http://www.2shared.com/document/tVxM0D4C/CQ_Rankings_Spreadsheet.html

The Hitch said:
Yes but its not dumb luck. According to the thing 5 people picked young Juraj;)

But seriously do you think any youngster will achieve this next season-

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider_palm.asp?riderid=12193&year=2010&all=0&current=0

To come from obscurity to be finishing seconds behind Canc in prologues, beating the best in the world at Paris Nice, taking Rogers and Zabriskie at Cali, and taking on those amazing fields in Canada and podiuming?
Sagan was the highest ranked first year espoir on CQ, and the junior MTB world champion, as well as the runner-up at the junior cyclocross world championships... that could have prompted some to pick him. Do we have a neo pro like that this year? There aren't many kids with that kind of palmares.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Phinney is certainly someone with a very impressive junior background - I'm not saying he will, but he could have a Sagan-esque early season.

As mentioned earlier, some neo will rock up and have a blinding couple of months, no doubt.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
The first update is out!

microdose and his australian national team has taken the lead and is the first official leader of the 2011 CQ Ranking Manager Game!

Top 10:

1. microdose 495 points
2. Pcutter 418 points
3. trotters aotearoa 325 points
4. Spider1964 290 points
5. AAC1983 263 points
6. Kevin Rudd's Hairdryer 248 points
7. EvansIsTheBest 232 points
8. LukeSchmid 219 points
9. deValtos 215 points
10. coppiman 211 points

The spreadsheet can be downloaded here:
http://www.2shared.com/document/tVxM0D4C/CQ_Rankings_Spreadsheet.html

How do I download it? Do I have to install that program?

TRENDING THREADS