• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cracks in the armor. Anyone more excited about TDF sprint stages after today??

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Nice to see Farrar coming along. Cav's the bad boy of cycling and I think more than a few people would like to see him served a big dish of humility.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
therhodeo said:
Here's to hoping Farrar and Thor can take a few away from Cav this year.

Not too sure about Thor, will depend on how quickly he can return to full fitness. I have been impressed with Farrar at the Giro. Having said that, I wouldn't read too much into today and the HTC train is hard to come around when they are at full strength. It was good riding today by Cervelo to spoil their party though.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
The sprint stages will be a lot more interesting if there are guys who believe they can win and are willing to help chase down breaks. With 22 teams there should be a lot of people trying to do everything - get in jerseys, earn points, chase stages. But there's a lot of Giro left undecided for now, and the Dauphine Libere and Tour de Suisse to watch.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Cav's the bad boy of cycling and I think more than a few people would like to see him served a big dish of humility.

He not a bad boy, he is just an immature kid, but he is still the fastest.

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
titan_90 said:
He not a bad boy, he is just an immature kid, but he is still the fastest.

He still CAN be the fastest, I don't know if he is currently though.

Tommeke has been caught 2 times for coke in his system, Cav just *****es about how slow everyone else is. He is far from being the 'bad boy' of cycling.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
The sprint stages will be a lot more interesting if there are guys who believe they can win and are willing to help chase down breaks. With 22 teams there should be a lot of people trying to do everything - get in jerseys, earn points, chase stages. But there's a lot of Giro left undecided for now, and the Dauphine Libere and Tour de Suisse to watch.

This would be the best benefit to us, the viewers. Cav's still going to be fast and has an excellent set up squad. Farrar's looks to be jelling as well and that's good. The trash talking is just keeping everyone interested.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I think Cav still will win 9 out of 10 stages if he has his train.

If he just has Renshaw, he can probably win 7 or 8 out of 10.

Not as dominant as last year, but still will be a class above everyone else in my opinion... and it still feels like he's pretty early in his prep after getting a late start due to his dental stuff.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:

Not as dominant as last year, but still will be a class above everyone else in my opinion... and it still feels like he's pretty early in his prep after getting a late start due to his dental stuff.

Ya - I do agree with you.

I still think come Tour time he will again be the most successful sprinter - but I don't expect him winning 'hilly/mountain'' stages like he did last year with St 19.

It is good for us viewing though - at least there is some excitement that it is not a given that Cav will dominate all the sprints.

kurtinsc said:

I think most of Cav's success is due to the strength of his excellent Columbia lead-out train. Today in the TOC he got completely owned by Chicchi and Haedo because his train broke down early and he could not get it done without Renshaw to hand him the line on a silver platter.

But I certainly give credit where credit is due and Cav is no doubt the fastest guy in the last 200m if he can get a perfect slingshot and then hit it hard.

So yes, if his train is operating at 100% he will continue to win; if that train breaks down as we saw today he is very very beatable.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
I think most of Cav's success is due to the strength of his excellent Columbia lead-out train. Today in the TOC he got completely owned by Chicchi and Haedo because his train broke down early and he could not get it done without Renshaw to hand him the line on a silver platter.

But I certainly give credit where credit is due and Cav is no doubt the fastest guy in the last 200m if he can get a perfect slingshot and then hit it hard.

So yes, if his train is operating at 100% he will continue to win; if that train breaks down as we saw today he is very very beatable.

I think right now that's the case.

I think last year he still won even when the train was as it was today or even worse. I still don't think he's at 100% in terms of form... but even without that he'll win if the train is good.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I think Cav hasn't had much racing yet, and come the Tour him and the train will be better. The ToC isn't a huge deal in the cycling world (although it's obviously important to Cav's sponsor), whereas the Tour sprints must be the team's no.1 objective. Looks like Tyler Farrar will be better than last year though: Farrar's train is one of the best outside HTC, possibly better than HTC's B train (see stages 2 and 10 of the Giro). Haedo sems to be having a great season too. Beat Greipel in the Rund um Koeln (not sure how significant a result this is, but worth something) and two good results in California vs. Cav. Bos is still interesting, although no huge results yet. I think those three will be the ones most focused on trying to deal with Cav, and I think it'll be harder for him than last year.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I thought that I thought that Cav was arrogant and that I didn't like him. However watching him losing I realised that I think he's great. He's exciting and fantastic for cycling. His cocky and outspoken nature and his vanity (new teeth and glam girlfriend) are evidence of his vulnerability. He has the 2 most important ingredients for me. He's clean and he's fast. Being a Brit is a bonus.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Half the stages Cav wins, the other sprinters are already out of contention before the entire HTC train is expended, that needs to change if anyone wants to stand a chance imo. No one near him at this point in my view.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I am more excited about the field sprints at the Tour but it doesn't have much to do with Cav losing yesterday. Farrar has displayed good form and his team has shown an effective leadout. If they can disrupt HTC's train, it will definately make things more interesting. Farrar could definitely take a stage or two away from Cav. As far as I know, Bos isn't going to the Tour (racing the Vuelta), and Thor will be coming off an injury. If Thor wants another Green Jersey, he'll have to go point hunting with intermediate sprints the way he did last year. Otherwise, Cav will still get the most stage wins and the green jersey (he should have won last year).

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Im not looking forward to TDF sprint stages. In fact, I'm not even looking forward to the TDF at all. It can't possible come even close to the awesomeness that is this years Giro.
Not even if Gesink wins ahead of Ten Dam and Boom

true Giro is going to OWN TdF this year(once again :p)
I hope Tommeke will win some again this year :)

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
I am more excited about the field sprints at the Tour but it doesn't have much to do with Cav losing yesterday. Farrar has displayed good form and his team has shown an effective leadout. If they can disrupt HTC's train, it will definately make things more interesting. Farrar could definitely take a stage or two away from Cav. As far as I know, Bos isn't going to the Tour (racing the Vuelta), and Thor will be coming off an injury. If Thor wants another Green Jersey, he'll have to go point hunting with intermediate sprints the way he did last year. Otherwise, Cav will still get the most stage wins and the green jersey (he should have won last year).

So potentially: no Bos, no Haedo, no Chicchi (could be wrong), Petacchi and Boonen disinterested, Boasson Hagen unfit because of the injury... Cavendish vs Farrar.

TRENDING THREADS