• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Crash caused by the radio

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
he was complaining some GC riders during the interview, but he did not say the names
2wheels said:
Where does your information come from? Are you a mind reader? Clairvoyant? Or just another Leopard Trek hater? And even if you're right about Eisel's thoughts, it's worth noting that staying to the front has kept them out of crashes.

This is hardly a new phenomenon; it happens every year during the first week. If the GC guys ride forward, the sprinter teams whine about it; if they ride farther back, everyone calls them stupid and says they deserve any crashes that come their way. Where would you have them ride-- a mile or so back from the group?

May 26, 2009
Visit site
They need:

tumblr_lmyamu0xGm1qa5ljoo1_500.jpg

Not gonna happen, but that guy would have done something.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
JeffreyPerry said:
So.....riddle me this....why are the number of crashes significantly higher in the tour than in the other big tours? The answer cannot simply be " put in a mountain stage or two in the first week to tire out the riders and seperate the main contenders". It also can not be because its "le tour"...if you believe that, do you honestly think the gc contenders don't care as much about winning the giro or the vuelta? I can gurantee you they care just as much. Especially the giro....passionate people down there. I haven't kept count or anything, but I suspect this years crashes are attributed more to the garbage weather more so than the other stated reasons.

No matter which is your favourite GT, the Tour is the biggest race of the year. Bigger budget, bigger caravan, better team rosters. There is more at stake. Listening to first time Tour riders like Ben Swift, the differential in pace is marked. So, crashes occur year in, year out at the Tour because it is the race with the highest stakes and the greatest levels of competition. I'm sure that the recent bad weather has contributed too.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
2wheels said:
Where does your information come from? Are you a mind reader? Clairvoyant? Or just another Leopard Trek hater? And even if you're right about Eisel's thoughts, it's worth noting that staying to the front has kept them out of crashes.

This is hardly a new phenomenon; it happens every year during the first week. If the GC guys ride forward, the sprinter teams whine about it; if they ride farther back, everyone calls them stupid and says they deserve any crashes that come their way. Where would you have them ride-- a mile or so back from the group?

You're absolutely right that the GC riders - until yesterday - managed to keep their noses clean by riding at the front. Tactically, it is the best move. I believe that what Eisel is saying is that some GC riders do not have the technical skills at 70-80kph to ride safely/competently near the front of a bunch sprint and are obstructing the sprint. You can bet your bottom dollar that the GC guys would be making their opinions heard if the 'bus obstructed them at the bottom of the Galibier.

A

Anonymous

Here is what Thomas actually said " All this talk of rider safety... It comes down to us riders!! There are some right muppets in the peloton, even some GC riders!!"

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
zamasailo said:
Here is what Thomas actually said " All this talk of rider safety... It comes down to us riders!! There are some right muppets in the peloton, even some GC riders!!"

Yeah, gc riders seem to be featuring in the leadouts. Cav talked about Gesink and Gutierrez getting in the way in the leadouts. I guess once we hit the Massif Central a better selection will be made and some gc riders won't be getting so involved in the sprints.

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Reduce the number of racers

Bikies & Bikers,

I wonder if the number of racers were a few less - say six riders per team - then the peleton would be around 150 instead of 200. (you do the math).

that said, i have often said ' do away with teams altogether; every man for himself'. and wouldn't there be more sponsors in the sport.

witz

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Maybe the sprinters should ride faster?

auscyclefan94 said:
Yeah, gc riders seem to be featuring in the leadouts. Cav talked about Gesink and Gutierrez getting in the way in the leadouts. I guess once we hit the Massif Central a better selection will be made and some gc riders won't be getting so involved in the sprints.

If the sprinter's teams can not drop the GC riders at the line, maybe they need to ride faster. It was impressive that HTC was able to get all 9 riders into a train at the end of the stage, but I guess if all that firepower is not enough to gap Gesink they should come up with other plans.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
SoLogy said:
If the sprinter's teams can not drop the GC riders at the line, maybe they need to ride faster. It was impressive that HTC was able to get all 9 riders into a train at the end of the stage, but I guess if all that firepower is not enough to gap Gesink they should come up with other plans.

The comments by Eisel & Cav were refering to intermediate sprints mainly. ES commentators have also expressed the view that a lot of riders in the first week feel in great shape and think they can mix it with the sprinters, however a lot of them don't have the bike handling skills and ability at the increased speed and so can get in the way causing needless accidents.