• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Creaking bottom-bracket/crank (Campy)

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I've had a chronic problem with my Campy Chorus 10-speed crank/bottom bracket creaking.

This happens virtually every time I crank down on either pedal. In fact, when I grab a crank arm and push toward the inside of the frame, you can see the crank arm move slightly near where it enters the cup (and will make the same creaking noise).

I've tried the following, yet have had repeated failures within the past 1.5 years:

- tightened the fixing bolt
- replaced the BB cups and had the bearings overhauled (the noise started w/in 1 month of this fix)

Any idea as to what's going on??

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Have you thoroughly checked your frame around the BB area for cracks? Because that's what it sounds like. Even the smallest of hairline fractures can make a terrible noise in carbon bikes, assuming that's what you're riding.

Another solution that I've been doing for years to take care of BB creaking is to wrap the BB threads in Teflon plumbers tape.

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
The local bike shop inspected the outside of carbon frame and didn't see a crack, although they wondered if there might be a crack on the inside of the frame where the carbon tubes meet at BB. (I got the sense that they were speculating because the problem has continued despite being in the shop multiple times recently.)

Is there any way to check for an interior crack (or is this even possible)?

Thanks for teflon tape and grease ideas - I've tried loctite on the threads, but I'll try anything at this point. Just don't want to replace the crank/BB if they're not the problem.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Ok you fitted a new BB etc have you checked that the threads are lined up square .
Some times the threads are out of line you should be able to see it and the chain ring will wobble side ways and appear buckled. the Cups must be set square to the frame no gaps.

Bike shop can re cut the threads easy enough

You can also try anti-seize compound on the cup threads, and BB axle connection. Teflon will do the same however. Since it is a campy BB there may be an issue with the width of the BB shell on the frame. It should be 68mm (assuming that it is english). If it is too narrow (less 67.2mm) then you can add a spacer. There should be no play in the cranks. You should remove the cups and inspect the inside of the BB for any signs of cracks. As was suggested. You do not want a frame failure while hammering out of the saddle. It will hurt when your shorts hit the saddle!

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
It seems unlikely from the way you described it, but i've had some noise issues, turns out my cassette lockring had come undone, and it was a loose cassette making all that racket, although it sounded like it was coming from the BB.

Swapping wheels a quick way to make sure it's not the wheel/hub of course.

Prolly not your issue, but maybe helpful for someone else!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I chased a creak in the BB area once... turned out to be a pedal, not the BB

Sounds like you have narrowed it down, to the actual BB (with the movement) but this is more for other people googling:D

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
It's because you're riding Campy...or as a friend at the LBS calls it, "Creaky."

Switch to Shimano. :p

Kidding aside. I'm assuming all the threads are clean and that everything is tightened to the proper torque. Reason I say that is because we were all struggling one day to find the creak coming from a Chorus crank. We checked nearly everything and couldn't figure it out. Finally, another mechanic checked all the torque values. They were all tight enough, but the torque wasn't at the suggested level nor were any two equal. He torqued them all to the recommended values and the problem was fixed.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Notso Swift said:
I chased a creak in the BB area once... turned out to be a pedal, not the BB

Sounds like you have narrowed it down, to the actual BB (with the movement) but this is more for other people googling:D

I too would check pedals, crank arm bolts, pedal threads, crank bolts etc.

I've often been surprised what the source of a noise was after I found it (often just through the process of elimination).

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
brent242 said:
I've had a chronic problem with my Campy Chorus 10-speed crank/bottom bracket creaking.

I assume you are talking about the old style and not the ultra torque.
If you are indeed talking about the cartridge type Chrous BB, I had this problem too. This is what I theorized. The details are a little fuzzy in my head, but there is an aluminum shell that butts up against another aluminum shell that covers the bearings on the chainring side. When you pedal hard or put a torque on the BB these shells slip against each other and aluminum will make a nice snap/creak noise. I had to fix this yearly until the kiddies bought me an ultra torque for my birthday (yeah!) To fix I pulled the BB, took off a snap ring and the whole thing comes apart and I greased the interface between these and the creak went away for a another year. You might be able to use some fluid lub to penetrate the interface and stop this. If this is indeed the problem hope this helps.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
You know I had the exact same issue with a Centaur BB/crank combo. My LBS where I purchased the bike took it apart twice over 4 years to try to get at the problem, never could fix it. The bike was then stolen and the frame recovered, and I rebuilt it with a Record crank and Record carbon BB, and I just realized on a ride a few days ago, that annoying sound is gone, I hope forever.

The guys at my shop speculated over some cold Sierra Nevadas and pizza that the problem had to do with the fit of the crank arms over the square taper not being perfect, and that no amount of tightening will ever completely eliminate the play.

Solution - new crank and BB. :( Expensive.

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Yep - I had the same annoying problem with FSA BB/Cranks. Replaced the BB myself and it was great for 80kms or so then back to loud annoying creaking when standing. Decided to take it to another LBS (original one tried but couldn't fix it) and so far after 3 weeks not a sound. Fingers crossed and wandering if as another poster said it has to do with the torque needing to be equal and correct for both sides of the BB. I didn't use a torque wrench as I don't have one - yet. Also wandered if the grease I used (Finish Line Teflon based) was maybe not the best. Maybe a urgh.. greasier.. lube was needed? I will ask this new mechanic the question when I see him next.

When you pedal hard or put a torque on the BB these shells slip against each other and aluminum will make a nice snap/creak noise.
Actually this might be a good point as my bike is aluminium. The original BB did have a washer of some sort that looked like it may have been coated in plastic which had been mashed away. It was only on the left side though. The new BB I purchased did not come with anything so I didn't use a washer on either side. Maybe this is what the new guy installed. Can't really tell with dismantling at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS