• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Creaking saddle rail

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
After sitting atop a god awful selle royal saddle I recently bought a fi'zi:k Antares carbon braided rail saddle. Now it's ridiculously comfortable but it constantly creaks whenever I sit on it. I've ridden about 700 km and it's creaked every inch of that, how can you stop saddle rails creaking? Any help would be appreciated

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Cheers dude is there any grease that's better than another?
And this will sound dumb but them clamp bolts are what is holding the saddle in place right?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Yeah, sure. Whatever grease will work, and when you remount make sure the bolts are tight. Yes, the clamp bolts are holding it in place, it's what you're tightening with your allen wrench. Just a shot in the dark, but if you have a Thompson post it's most likely the bolts, they're notorious for creaking. JB Weld on the contact points of the rail into the saddle shell is a last resort. So when you try all this and if it still creaks, check your saddle rails for cracks, actually carefully inspect the rails before you do anything.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Nah I have a giant comp post but it's definitely the saddle as the old saddle never once creaked. I can't check all the rail as the carbon is wrapped in material. I will try the grease tomorrow and if I have any more problems I will inform fizik.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
From what you're describing it sounds like your creek is coming from the rails where they enter the saddle shell, that's not good. If you could return the saddle from where you got it for another, I'd do that instead.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I will contact wiggle and see what they say whether I can return it as faulty if not I guess I'll have to contact fizik. I guess wiggle would have to if it's not safe or working correctly

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Joe;

I have a fizik saddle, same creaking. My creak comes from where the rails enter the seat itself near the rear end of the saddle. I've had the creak for almost three years. Has not caused any problems to date, but hey, if you can get a replacement go for it.