• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Crimanimals - Cycling on LA's Freeways

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I just saw a feature on these guys on Arte: they go and ride on LA's freeways during rush hour in order to promote alternative ways of transportation.

In a city ruled by a lethargic and apathetic car culture, those who choose alternative forms of transportation try to shake things up.

Here is one of their videos, they have many of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJy4qVOq2LI

What do you think? Good idea or accident waiting to happen? Does anyone live in LA and has known of this already?

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
I live in Los Angeles, and have not seen or head of them...but this sounds like a HORRIBLE idea. This does not do any good for a cyclist's image as people around here are already peeved off as is.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Horrible idea.

Drivers in LA are at the limit of their patience every time they get in the car. Aggressive almost maniacal actions are common even between cars. Remember this is the home of the freeway shooting.

This is not going to end well for these guys... nor does it help cycling at all.

I ride to work most days (not in the rain, I'm not that die hard), but I am very lucky to live in a geographical area that makes bike commuting possible.

These guys and the critical mass people have to remember that not everyone can structure their lives to bike to work. Finding a good job and finding an affordable house for your family are both difficult tasks, and often it's extraordinarily difficult to find both close together. Not everyone lives the life of a 20 year old anarchist idealist.

I can take credit for encouraging another guy in my office to bike to work... and that is done not by criticizing people, but by explaining (maybe even bragging) about how great it feels to get a work out in every day and to glide home despite the traffic. You catch more bees with honey as they say.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I live near LA and have heard of these folks; seems like a bad idea but certainly does underscore how ineffective travel on freeways during rush hour can be. I don't think they are doing cyclists any favors.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Road Hazard said:
These guys and the critical mass people have to remember that not everyone can structure their lives to bike to work. Finding a good job and finding an affordable house for your family are both difficult tasks, and often it's extraordinarily difficult to find both close together. Not everyone lives the life of a 20 year old anarchist idealist.

Yup that's what I was thinking - a lot of people might work in LA but then live in the suburbs which is too far to ride your bike to. So trains and busses would be good ideas to reduce traffic but bikes probably not so much

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
They might actually do themselves some good if they rode on the shoulder on the freeway instead in car lanes.

On a side note: How in the hell does that one guy get up on his bike?

TRENDING THREADS