• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné Stage 7: Allevard-les-Bains - Sallanches 148km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
Did Contador just sprint for the green jersey - and win it?

JB had 4 points on him before the stage, I'm not sure how much he gained on him there.Anyone see the placements and know the scoring rules?

A

Anonymous

Cerberus said:
JB had 4 points on him before the stage, I'm not sure how much he gained on him there.Anyone see the placements and know the scoring rules?

im pretty sure hes got it, placings go down to 20th and there were 4 places between them

contador would have picked up 11pts, jani i think about 6, but possibly 7

TeamSkyFans said:
great ride by eddy.. and great dauphine by sky.. a stage win, few days in green by geraint, and amazing performance from neo-pro kennaugh

Sorry about breaking your illusion, but "amazing" performance from Kennaugh? I'd say a decent performance byt him, better than expected, but absolutely not amazing. I think you tend to hype Team Sky a bit too much these days (don't go all ACF94 on us, please), even though Boasson Hagens win today was great.

"Amazing" was the performances by: Van Garderen, Brajkovic, Sicard & Coppel. Youngsters like Kristjan Koren, Pierre Roland, Thibault Pinot & Artem Ovechkin showed themselves more than Kennaugh, and I guess you wouldn't call their performances amazing???

A

Anonymous

Kazistuta said:
Sorry about breaking your illusion, but "amazing" performance from Kennaugh? I'd say a decent performance byt him, better than expected, but absolutely not amazing. I think you tend to hype Team Sky a bit too much these days (don't go all ACF94 on us, please), even though Boasson Hagens win today was great.

"Amazing" was the performances by: Van Garderen, Brajkovic, Sicard & Coppel. Youngsters like Kristjan Koren, Pierre Roland, Thibault Pinot & Artem Ovechkin showed themselves more than Kennaugh, and I guess you wouldn't call their performances amazing???

those other riders may have put in amazing performances too, but i dont know enough about them to comment on them so i dont.

Kennaugh I do know a bit more about though, after his early season where he struggled a bit, had the odd bug during february and march, failed to finish about his first five stage races, and really was just riding tempo and concentrating on finishing, to come to his first prestigious race and consistently finish inside the top 50, and do as well as he has i think was an amazing performance for the kid, in his first year as a pro. I think expectation for him was to struggle a bit, probably get shelled out very badly on alpe d huez and maybe quit sometime during todays stage.

as for hyping them, i dont think im too bad.. I was cheering on geraint all week, as a brit a sky fan and a fan of G.. but its also me whos been saying that EBH shouldnt be in the tour squad.. so.......

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
The thing i like about Hagen is he has so many options to win and gets the job done when he makes an effort. he obviously targeted this stage and he has so many wins now in tough races.

Sagan is younger and very strong but I'm not certain he has the same potential but obviously a fantastic talent also.

As for Kennaugh i think the way he lead out Thomas on the first stage was good, he dragged the whole peleton very quickly, and he has ridden very well on the climbs so a good strong domestique job by a 20 year old in this race.

TeamSkyFans said:
im pretty sure hes got it, placings go down to 20th and there were 4 places between them

contador would have picked up 11pts, jani i think about 6, but possibly 7

AC won it on placings; they ended with the same points (98).

And if we are talking about teams that had a good Dauphine, I would say Astana had a pretty damn good Dauphine. Second overall, two stage wins, points jersey and, last but not least, the coveted second place in the team classification :)rolleyes:)!

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
AC won it on placings; they ended with the same points (98).

And if we are talking about teams that had a good Dauphine, I would say Astana had a pretty damn good Dauphine. Second overall, two stage wins, points jersey and, last but not least, the coveted second place in the team classification :)rolleyes:)!

Three stage wins.
AC prologue
Dani's stage
AC on Alpe d'Huez

A

Anonymous

hektoren said:
.....and now? Have you changed your mind re TdF for EBH?

im not 100% he can complete 3 weeks, but he is clearly better recovered from injury than i at first though. Im probably 60/40 in favour at the moment.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Kazistuta said:

for a 20 year old neo pro in his first major stage race, as well as doing domestic duties during the week hes been excellent. it maybe a british bias but its an excellent result for a young brit in a tough race.

TeamSkyFans said:
those other riders may have put in amazing performances too, but i dont know enough about them to comment on them so i dont.

Kennaugh I do know a bit more about though, after his early season where he struggled a bit, had the odd bug during february and march, failed to finish about his first five stage races, and really was just riding tempo and concentrating on finishing, to come to his first prestigious race and consistently finish inside the top 50, and do as well as he has i think was an amazing performance for the kid, in his first year as a pro. I think expectation for him was to struggle a bit, probably get shelled out very badly on alpe d huez and maybe quit sometime during todays stage.

as for hyping them, i dont think im too bad.. I was cheering on geraint all week, as a brit a sky fan and a fan of G.. but its also me whos been saying that EBH shouldnt be in the tour squad.. so.......

Given the circumstances Kennaugh might have done a great job, but I guess your definition of "amazing" is a bit different from mine - fair enough:)

Obviously you're a Sky fan and should be expected to praise them - It's just that the last couple of weeks I've seen more of your posts with a blind fold fanboy look than before. I expected some sort of reality check form your side. I expect great things from Kennaugh later on, but as this season has gone by, there is at least 10 or 15 young riders that have performed WAY over his standards..

Oh yeah, btw: As you can see, I'm still looking forward to your naked bike ride;)

stefrees said:
for a 20 year old neo pro in his first major stage race, as well as doing domestic duties during the week hes been excellent. it maybe a british bias but its an excellent result for a young brit in a tough race.

I really think it IS British bias, sorry...

Kennaugh competed in both Tour De Romandie (where his DNF'ed) and Bayern Rundfahrt (maybe not exaactly a major stage race).

Van Garderen finished no. 9 in his first stage race (Volta Ao Algarve), Sagan had two top5 finishes in TDU, Keukeleire won his second stage race, Modolo finished fourth in Milano-San Remo and the list probably goes on...

Again: For Kennaugh himself - by his own standards - his performances in Dauphine was most likely a great succes, but for objective observers his efforts can't be proclaimed "amazing"...

Kazistuta said:
I really think it IS British bias, sorry...

Kennaugh competed in both Tour De Romandie (where his DNF'ed) and Bayern Rundfahrt (maybe not exaactly a major stage race).

Van Garderen finished no. 9 in his first stage race (Volta Ao Algarve), Sagan had two top5 finishes in TDU, Keukeleire won his second stage race, Modolo finished fourth in Milano-San Remo and the list probably goes on...

Again: For Kennaugh himself - by his own standards - his performances in Dauphine was most likely a great succes, but for objective observers his efforts can't be proclaimed "amazing"...

2nd'd British cycling remains too focussed on that track rubbish, hangover of living in such a depressingly flat country I suppose.

A

Anonymous

Kazistuta said:
Given the circumstances Kennaugh might have done a great job, but I guess your definition of "amazing" is a bit different from mine - fair enough:)

Obviously you're a Sky fan and should be expected to praise them - It's just that the last couple of weeks I've seen more of your posts with a blind fold fanboy look than before. I expected some sort of reality check form your side. I expect great things from Kennaugh later on, but as this season has gone by, there is at least 10 or 15 young riders that have performed WAY over his standards..

Oh yeah, btw: As you can see, I'm still looking forward to your naked bike ride;)

Id like to think i show a little more perspective and dont to the official sky line of geraint coming 9th being "narrowly defeated", or hyping up every top ten place as an amazing result. Im also now that i am posting a bit again, avoiding entering any flammable discussions, avoiding getting involved in 99% of the arguments and just keeping my opinions to sky, or lances doping case. So my posts naturally have more bias. I kept pretty quiet over the last two weeks of the giro, and bayern rhundfart as there was nothing really to be too pleased about. The dauphine on the other hand has been really positive. Also if you do like sky around here you have to play it a bit over the top to counteract all the haters ;)

i will however admit to being a complete peter kennaugh fanboy. ;)

this entire argument is of course based entirely on your perception of ONE word.. Peter Sagan has been amazing all season, in that I have been amazed by his performance. I was also amazed at how well Peter did this week, hence amazing, the act of being amazed. many were amazed that brad finished fourth in the tour, hence amazement, and the claim therefore that his fourth place was amazing.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
stefrees said:

Well yes. A domestique job is probably tougher than being a protected rider like other hyped riders with better cv's. because they do the hard yards and dont get the wins owing to blowing themselves to bits.

Adam Blythe is another rider to look out for as a lead out rider and sprinter and a future fantastic talent.

TRENDING THREADS