• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné May 30-June 6 2021

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Has been in horrible form for awhile - He was awful in the Ruta Del Sol and not much better in the major classics - He's an inconsistent performer.

Mads Pedersen is one of those guys that tends to suffer more in the heat.

Quite possibly because he insists on living and training in Denmark, so acclimation becomes a problem during the transition from spring to summer.

What's enough ambition? TDG seems to have had a great career, had a great time doing it and given everyone great entertainment. Not everyone is as ill adjusted enough to have had a career like Chris Froome.
De Gendt has had a fine career but name one other rider who was 3rd in Giro yet has not had a single other top-10 in a GC of one-day race of note.
Because he "does not like riding in the bunch". Probably De Gendt would say that a large part of this is that he doesn't think he could actually win a GC and prefere stage wins over top-10. But it doesn't feel like he's ever even tried.

I would prefer that a new talent at least tries to see if he can win more than just the stages.

Obviously De Gendt needs to do what he wants to do but let new talents aim higher than he did imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: hayneplane
De Gendt has had a fine career but name one other rider who was 3rd in Giro yet has not had a single other top-10 in a GC of one-day race of note.
Because he "does not like riding in the bunch". Probably De Gendt would say that a large part of this is that he doesn't think he could actually win a GC and prefere stage wins over top-10. But it doesn't feel like he's ever even tried.

I would prefer that a new talent at least tries to see if he can win more than just the stages.

Obviously De Gendt needs to do what he wants to do but let new talents aim higher than he did imo.

I remember watching his huge solo win on the Stelvio live and thinking then that I was watching the emergence of a new GC threat.

TRENDING THREADS