• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium du Dauphine 2014 Route

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
will10 said:
Yours is the opinion I've been waiting for. This looks much more like a race in it's own right again, a step in the right direction for sure?

They could have had a 60km TTT, six sprint stages and the Col de la Gueulaz MTF and I'd give it at least a 5/10. This is definitely a huge, huge step in the right direction for this race. 2011 and 2012 were the nadir, it's on the rise again. I once designed a Dauphiné route with a Lyon prologue similar to the one they have; mine was slightly shorter and had the steeper variation of the climb, going up the Colline de Fourvière via Montée Saint-Barthélemy. Even so, nice TT. Like it. We then have a MTF in the Massif Central, rather than the same parts of the Alps ensuring we get the same climbs as we often see in the Tour as well, which is nice. Stages 5 & 8 are OK, could be better, could be worse. But stage 7 is amazing. The Forclaz-Gueulaz duo is amazing. The only way to improve it is to stick the Col du Lein in in front of it - which would be very, very plausible. If they had Lein-Forclaz-Gueulaz, I would give the route 10/10, égal of the rest of it. The Col de la Gueulaz is perhaps a little behind Col Tze Core, but up there with the very best of my favourite climbs not called Fedaia.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
burning said:
15km flat after a perfectly designed hilly stage will likely to kill all hope for action, but maybe somebody is crazy enough to attack with teammates from breakaway.

I have to say I really like this stage because it offers variation in the overall route. You have 3 MTFs and the arrival at Gapa after the descent of the col de Manse. These are 4 stages where riders can make the decision at the very end.

Stage 5 offers something different. You have 50 really hard kms between kms 120 and 170, if some leaders want to wage war while knowing they are inferior in pure cycling strengthm, this is where to do it. PLus the stage the following day is flat so they can go at it. Doesn't mean they will, but they can. If a Nibali or a Contador want to see if they can blow up the sky train, this is a good stage to do it, better than the other straight forward MTFs.

No really I find this route really great. Now it all depends on the riders, if they don't want to make anything of it, what can you do, but the canvas is there for them to work on.

In that case, bring on the Giro! I suggest Ivrea -> Col Tze Core -> Châtillon -> Aosta -> Col du Grand Saint Bernard -> Champex -> Martigny -> Col de la Forclaz -> Col de la Gueulaz.

Zomegnan might call me a coward for not adding Champremier or Col des Planches though.

Ideally, actually, they'd have a stage finishing somewhere like Verbania, Omegna or even a flat stage into somewhere like Borgomanero, then a mostly Swiss stage starting from Domodossola over Simplonpass, then over Col du Lein, Col de la Forclaz and finishing at Col de la Gueulaz, then having a super tough Valle d'Aosta stage. I'd suggest Aosta -> Verrès -> Col Tze Core -> Châtillon -> Col de Saint Pantaléon -> either Col de Saint-Bartélemy or Champremier -> Pila (choice being Pila-Ciel-Bleu MTF or Pila-La Cerise then descending back into Aosta for a downhill finish). I'd also adore a MTF at Brusson-Estoul if we could get one.

It's also weird that the Dauphiné is showing the Tour de Suisse where it ought to be going.

And every single race that goes around the surrounding area should be making better use of the Valle d'Aosta, really wish they'd host more races there and not just at Cervinia, which apart from maybe Cogne is the most boring MTF the area could produce.

Best route in many years. I love that the second stage is arguably the hardest but there is still more than enough left for attacking riders to try and get time back. Agree on the Gueulaz MTF - should be spectacular! Stages like 7, 5 and 2 are what we need to start seeing in the Tour. Great stuff.

I love it. Stages 2, 7 and 8 are a nice trinity of mountain stages. ITT too short. But I can live with that.

Stages 4 and 5 I really like. This is what Paris Nice should have done. Sure, they may not be good races. But the course is there for excellent racing in these stages.

9/10 I would go with a 20 to 25km ITT to balance it.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Looks like a very nice route, seems pretty well balanced for all types of riders, and parcours lend themselves to provide plenty of opportunity for action by the riders.

Of course, it will probably end up being a walk for Froome. But perhaps we'll get lucky and Quintana will show up with Giro form. Can't blame the parcours for Froomes domination though. A good looking course.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I've done the expected profiles based on routes similar to the map provided in the first post. I've also noted some expected climbs during these stages.

Please understand that these stages might not be the real routes and the stages could be easier. I still tried to find the most accurate route.

Stage 3:
findORElevation3.php

Km 27: Côte de Saint-Jean-d'Aubrigoux (9.0 km @ 4.4 % - Cat. 2)
Km 61: Côte de Retournac (3.4 km @ 5.6 % - Cat. 3)
Km 74: Côte d'Yssingeaux (2.2 km @ 6.0 % - Cat. 3)
Km 141.5: Col de la Mure (4.1 km @ 7.7 % - Cat. 2)

This stage has some nice climbs that will be good for the breakaway - however the final 50 kilometers pretty much make this stage for the sprinters who will be able to climb the difficulties of the day.

The col de la Mure has been climbed on the other side during Paris-Nice in 2011 in a stage finishing in Vernoux-en-Vivarais: it's considered as one of the hardest climbs in the Ardèche département, but has never appeared yet in a Tour de France.

Stage 4:
findORElevation3.php

Km 14.5: Côte de Viré Vieille (3.6 km @ 5.0 % - Cat. 3)
Km 158: Col de Manse (9.5 km @ 5.2 % - Cat. 2)

To make it simple: the final 125 kilometers are EXACTLY THE SAME than the stage going to Gap in the 2011 Tour de France. How original. Living in the Drôme département, I kinda despise ASO for always ignoring the nice climbs in the area to put a "transitioning stage". Bleh.

Stage 6:
findORElevation3.php

Km 80: Côte de la Bridoire (1.4 km @ 6.8 % - Cat. 4)
(the hill at Km 140 is not a hill - it's a problem with altitudes concerning roads on sleep cliffs)

Probably the easiest stage of them all (not including the ITT), but the final towards Poisy can be tricky. Surprises can happen but I don't think it will be the case.

(Oh btw, at km 95: it's the foot of the west side of the Mont du Chat. Not kidding. "Hey ASO, look at this climb!" "Nah, let's give a stage to sprinters." Grrrr.)

EDIT : In a perfect world...
findORElevation3.php

First climb being the col de Palaquit climb (so the riders will be familiar with it in the Tour de France) lengthened up to the col de Porte, then Mont du Chat and Col du Clergeon.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
Looks like a very nice route, seems pretty well balanced for all types of riders, and parcours lend themselves to provide plenty of opportunity for action by the riders.

Of course, it will probably end up being a walk for Froome. But perhaps we'll get lucky and Quintana will show up with Giro form. Can't blame the parcours for Froomes domination though. A good looking course.

Not only would you not be able to blame the parcours if Froome dominates; if he does, he'll be doing it in spite of the parcours. Only 10 km of TT seems like a great gift to riders not named Chris Froome.

May 17, 2014
Visit site
First showdown of the summer. Can't wait for it. Bertie to give Froome a first clue for what'll happen in the Tour. Nibbles is peaking like an angel (well, one with huge balls) for the TDF, so maybe will not be at his best yet. Hope Quintana shows up too. And brings his poker face too ofc :p