• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium du Dauphine 2014: Stage 2, Tarare - Col du Beal

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win this?

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
kenk09 said:
Contador wins! Froome has peaked too early!

Good thread guys.

:D couldn't watch the stage live today but this is the impression I got today!

A good battle between Froome and Contador, Contadors face at times suggested he was struggling but the fact he stayed with Froome only heightens expectation of a great race next month.

Now Contador just has to find a way of dropping Froome, it's one thing being able to wheelsuck and save energy while the other guy pulls you up the slope but it's another to ride away. I still feel the Tour will boil down to the TT and Froome's advantage there. One final point, hasn't Froome actually rode less this year? He missed TA and Crit-international compared to last season and rode Catalunya instead. He may not burn out as many are hoping. I'm now reading people comparing Froome to a bully? Oh dear... :eek:

On a positive note, what a great ride by Adam Yates, this boy is a big talent cutting it with the best! Was only a few secs behind Nibali.

jilbiker said:
I just saw the last 5km. I would say

a/ Contador looked very good. Comfortable, strong and confident, I get flashbacks of 2009 AC. I think he could have pulled ahead sometimes but held back, maybe for tactical reasons. I agree, it was really pointless to burn all that energy on day 2. or to prove a point. I see he is now mostly out of the saddle, reminds me of Horner at the Vuelta last year. I know AC rides out of the saddle a lot but he seems to be generating much more power and for long periods sort of like 2009.
b/ Froome pulled for all 5km?? Why waste energy? Chase after folks who were not rivals? He wanted to prove a point. Froome's approach is the "bully" approach. He will clubber you mentally with physical power. The funny thing we know about bullies is that they crumble when someone stands up to them. He did not know what to do when AC stuck to his wheel. I would like to know Froome's wheel and cassette diameter, how is he generating so much power with so much cadence on a hill?

Froome reminds me of him at 2012 Vuelta, he burned out after a while. The impact from TDF 2013 (the excuse we thought). He thinks he is Capt. Superman and rides with what appears very little tactical sense. Oh, Capt Superman does not believe he needs a team to win, so Porte not showing up means little to him. He probably feels he does not need Wiggins to win.

I wondered how AC would win against Froome. Now I know. Stand up to him and he will crumble mentally. Thats it, just speak to him wheel to wheel, man to man, eyeball to eyeball. The mind games is the key game to win, forget the bike stuff, thats secondary. Any world class champion in any world sport will tell you that.
Dauphine is a dress rehearsal. It is a testing ground for strategies. As to Froome wasting energy, i think this was the tactic from the beginning of the stage- to find out if Contador is upto the mark, Whether Contador could be dropped. Chasing down others single handedly tells Froome that he can waste energy and not go into red and still defeat Contador. If the pace was slow then Nibali or Contador would have attacked. It also confirm who are major rivals. I think both Froome and Contador achieved their objectives. Froome got a morale boosting victory over Contador and Contador by sticking with Froome gained confidence that Froome is not out of reach.
But the way they will go means that both are not going to hold back till the third week and will be weaker then. Whoever is the weakest in the third week will lose. Doesn't look good for Contador's performance in the Vuelta.

Pricey_sky said:
One final point, hasn't Froome actually rode less this year? He missed TA and Crit-international compared to last season and rode Catalunya instead. He may not burn out as many are hoping.

Going into the Dauphine last year, according to ProCyclingStats, Froome had raced 3284 kilometers in 23 days.

This year coming into the race, again according to ProCyclingStats, he's raced 2722 kilometers in 19 race days.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Froome went all out and could not drop Contador.

It's not going to be easy for him, not at all.

Besides, I think a steeper climb will favor Contador.

You know, if I could actually place a sports bet here* - I would put some money on Contador at this point. I didn't like the looks of Froome's last 20 meters - he actually gapped AC very slightly - but overall - I think AC won the mind games.

It will be an exciting race. Both races, actually - Dauphine and TdF. I'm thinking we could well see the dog make a tactical error in the TdF, and AC will be there to pick it.

Don't know if you heard Carlton Kirby's announcing - available at Steephill for 20/20 hindsight - but he's pretty excited about Froome's performance. Can't say I share his enthusiasm.

I WILL say it was an exciting finish! Lots of action! Should keep all the bored posters around here happy.

*Meaning "here" as in where I am geographically now. Not "here" as in this forum.

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I just got the chance to watch today's stage. I've been following Contador for years, and I would have to say that he looks pretty good. Froome buried himself a few times, but Alberto looked somewhat relaxed and focused. It was clear that all he planned to do was follow and watch. He never seemed out of control, just focused. They both looked tapped out at the end, but all in all, barring injuries, the Tour will be interesting.

whittashau said:
Who would have predicted that George Bennett would be Cannondale's best climber this season. That team is going to struggle without Sagan if the rumours are true.
Other than Basso and Caruso who would you expect to climb consistently better than Bennet?
TourOfSardinia said:
not if his Nibs returns to home territory.
Other than $$$ I never understood why he left Cannondale... Just because he clashed with Sagan in San Remo??
classicomano said:
Spilak coming in at 12 minutes, doesnt look good for his first real bid at a top GC spot.
If only he could ride inside a freezer.
thehook said:
TJ: As another poster here said. He should try to place high/win another GT. Giro/Vuelta. I know he was 5th a few years ago at the Tour. But he should be going the Majka/Quintana route. IMHO
His problem is that the Tour suits him the best with shallow climbs and more TT.
roundabout said:
Gallopin is on his way to be a jack of all trades and master of none. Failed in the classics and now is riding for a glorious top20 in the Dauphine. Good luck with that.
lenric said:
Froome's acceleration was insane really. Also, I've never seen Contador using such a low cadence as today.
Actually he uses bigger gears when he's out of shape. It didn't look to be the case today. My guess is that there was a lot of start/stop and that's why it seemed he had lower cadence.

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
as what we see today froome was very strong always keep attack and contador was also perfect condition, yes at was stay behind the froome wheel all time we don't know what was he thinking but absolutely he is in good form and he is ready for TDF . but really the big question mark about the R.Porte performance really was disaster today so I hope he will overcome bad performance very soon and recover fast and come back to us as in july 2013 . and we expect more from contador in stage 7 and 8 . let see .

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
peacefultribe said:
I just got the chance to watch today's stage. I've been following Contador for years, and I would have to say that he looks pretty good. Froome buried himself a few times, but Alberto looked somewhat relaxed and focused. It was clear that all he planned to do was follow and watch. He never seemed out of control, just focused. They both looked tapped out at the end, but all in all, barring injuries, the Tour will be interesting.

I would agree. AC would want to win the Tour again to erase all doubt and the Dauphine is a good place to lay the groundwork both physically and psychologically. That said, the Tour is a month away and Niballi and others will also adjust. AC also can't count on Froome to be dumb enough to pull for another 5km with him on his wheel.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Oldman said:
I would agree. AC would want to win the Tour again to erase all doubt and the Dauphine is a good place to lay the groundwork both physically and psychologically. That said, the Tour is a month away and Niballi and others will also adjust. AC also can't count on Froome to be dumb enough to pull for another 5km with him on his wheel.

From what I have seen of Froome over the last few years is the only thing you can't count on, is that he might learn something as he goes.

Whatever lesson he should have learned today will have completely escaped him.

TourOfSardinia said:
It's called taking the Dwag for a walk :)

Very good:)

Serious note. Froome best learn to reign it in or he is going to be in a lot of trouble sooner rather than later. Contador looked in control (of himself). V impressed by Talansky and Wilco.

And mega mega impressed by young Yates AGAIN. Scary talent. Orica, protect him (them) and don't take them to the Tour.

Froome maxed out today:
150743_PIC468475218.jpg

Small gaps.

He will need to perform even better on Saturday to win this event, never mind the tour. Just my opinion.

More pics here: http://www.steephill.tv/2014/criterium-du-dauphine-libere/photos/stage-02/

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
willbick said:
Good to see last year's 'peaked too early' argument being wheeled out again lol

Actually he did crumble in the last week last year but by then he had already obliterated the opponents. But really good performance by both AC and CF. Disappointed with VN.

Sky was not great. Mainly cos of Porte. That will be CFs main worry. Maybe he could need Wiggo after all...

ferryman said:
And mega mega impressed by young Yates AGAIN. Scary talent. Orica, protect him (them) and don't take them to the Tour.
I doubt he does a single GT this year, Orica doesn't have a tradition of burning out youngsters. I would actually say that Orica is the perfect team for these guys. Enough opportunities, few domestique duties and basically no pressure.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
trevim said:
I doubt he does a single GT this year, Orica doesn't have a tradition of burning out youngsters. I would actually say that Orica is the perfect team for these guys. Enough opportunities, few domestique duties and basically no pressure.

Giant is up there with them in that department.

TRENDING THREADS