• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium du Dauphine 2014: Stage 2, Tarare - Col du Beal

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win this?

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Close with my tip, but I'll still say to win the mental battle Contador shouldn't have tried to come over the top. Just smile and congratulate Froome on a fine win and leave everyone wondering how much he had. Froome was marginally stronger, but the length of time he spent on the front had little to do with it. If Froome and Contador were riding at a pace which puts 20 seconds into Kelderman in 500m and then Kelderman was coming back with Froome sitting on front then Froome was resting up, and there isn't much/any drafting effect at that speed, but he certainly spent more energy with those attacks while AC sat on. Then to win the sprint, unless AC was acting (I don't think so) obviously Froome has something over him.
Tour time if they go toe to toe(MTFs and TT) Froome wins. If Froome is isolated from his team, which doesn't look impossible, Froome will struggle to be on the podium. Wiggins is the perfect guy to ensure the race is strength vs strength, but if it's to be a tactical battle fought out by 2 or 3 guys from each team the personality clash could be detrimental.

Edit: Nibali I'm not sure he went into the red, in 2012 he certainly didn't, soit wouldn't surprise me if he tried to stay close and ride within himself. I'm actually encouraged by how he rode.

UlleGigo said:
Brilliant ride from Kelderdutchmessiah. Looks like he's the new Gesink but with some talent.

Hey Gesink has talent, just a bit of bad luck and health issues. At his best he was in the 10 best climbers in the sport and a regular top ten and potentially a top 5 in most grand tours. Kelderman is definitely a huge talent. I look forward to following his career as it unfolds.

willbick said:
funny how people say froome looks bad on a bike. contador looks like one leg is 6 inches longer than the other!

I have no great affection for either man, but I just watched the NBC Sports broadcast of today's stage so I could see it on the big screen in HD instead of in the cycling.tv viewer, and "style" is one of the things I looked for. And you gotta admit, Froome's, while obviously effective, is hardly a thing of beauty. The way he bobs his head up and down and holds himself hunched over makes my shoulders hurt just to watch him! It's a wonder he's never run into something on a training ride as little as he watches the road in front of him.

JRanton said:
I hope Lefevere hasn't killed off Kwiatkowski. It was ridiculous making him ride Romandie after the Ardennes.

BMC must be the most disappointed after today. Tejay seems to always really struggle on the first climbing stage of a race.

Not good for TJ but like others said he had a heavy fall at Romandie. But if he was that bad he would not have started.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
purcell said:
From what I have seen of Froome over the last few years is the only thing you can't count on, is that he might learn something as he goes.

Whatever lesson he should have learned today will have completely escaped him.

You gotta be kidding me, i suppose he was so out of debth in the TDF i was having a dream when he was isolated all stage and responding to Valverde in the flat's. Froome is fine, good tactically aswell alot of people would have been caught out that day but he was'nt.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
"We've seen his poker tell, it's when he starts looking up the road, Chris Froome is known to just look straight down, I don't know how he doesn't fall off the bike more often, maybe he has some amazing bat-like sense of where he is upon the road, in terms of sonics."
- Carlton Kirby, Eurosport, Dauphine, Stage 2, 1.8km to go.

Angliru said:
Hey Gesink has talent, just a bit of bad luck and health issues. At his best he was in the 10 best climbers in the sport and a regular top ten and potentially a top 5 in most grand tours. Kelderman is definitely a huge talent. I look forward to following his career as it unfolds.

So many people have forgotten just how good Gesink was at age 20-24 :eek:

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:

Haha the real reason he is out training so much is to get a breather from the Cound woman. She seems like quite a handful. Remember when I had a girlfriend who was a bit like I get the impression Cound is, I never in my life worked so much and so many ours in that period. So wifes/girlfriends like Cound is truly a good thing for your career :D:D

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
That he is training a lot more than prescribed by the super scientific Sky science training team is obviously complete bull****, along with many other claims in the book.

Pandering to the crowd that believes success is all about working harder than the rest and that the non brits just haven't figured out that you need to do a ton of training

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Cimber said:
Haha the real reason he is out training so much is to get a breather from the Cound woman. She seems like quite a handful. Remember when I had a girlfriend who was a bit like I get the impression Cound is, I never in my life worked so much and so many ours in that period. So wifes/girlfriends like Cound is truly a good thing for your career :D:D

I feel he should get rid of her im a Froome fan but she does is image no good infact she could even be his downfall one day he should boot her out she makes him look bad all the time on twitter or she should close her twitter account.

TANK91 said:
I feel he should get rid of her im a Froome fan but she does is image no good infact she could even be his downfall one day he should boot her out she makes him look bad all the time on twitter or she should close her twitter account.

His book has done equal if not more damage to his image than his girlfriend. I can't recall a more pretentious autobiography from a sportsman.:(

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
That was a message on twitter yeah. This is the real power data.

But the max of 988 is pretty crazy, because it's noticed in the end of the climb, so probably the sprint of Froome was 1000W+ :confused:

Strava instantaneous maximum means absolutely zero. They occur frequently due to mapping errors. Imagine the gps misses a ping, for a few seconds it reads you have stopped, then it finds you again, instantaneously rocketing you up the road. On the power feed you'll see spikes and drops quite a bit. Of course it could have happened, for one pedal stroke Wilco may have put everything into it, and the stopped, and then hit it again. It may be a 2 second max trying to accelerate.
However his twitter claims 525W for the last 1:30, coming from a strain guage based power meter, and the strava coincides very closely with that. So I'd say that is the basis for comparison for the other riders also. Without watching and making some bold assumptions. Froome and Wilco are together with 1:30 to ride. Wilco weighs 65kg, hence 8.07w/kg, Froome 4 seconds faster 8.45W in watts assuming Froome is 68kg 574W.

EDIT: before anyone gets up in arms, it's not 100% accurate, it depends on a few factors. Take from it what you will. AlexRST can probably make a guess depending on positions, drafting, and the accuracy of the pioneer power meter.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
Strava instantaneous maximum means absolutely zero. They occur frequently due to mapping errors. Imagine the gps misses a ping, for a few seconds it reads you have stopped, then it finds you again, instantaneously rocketing you up the road. On the power feed you'll see spikes and drops quite a bit. Of course it could have happened, for one pedal stroke Wilco may have put everything into it, and the stopped, and then hit it again. It may be a 2 second max trying to accelerate.
However his twitter claims 525W for the last 1:30, coming from a strain guage based power meter, and the strava coincides very closely with that. So I'd say that is the basis for comparison for the other riders also. Without watching and making some bold assumptions. Froome and Wilco are together with 1:30 to ride. Wilco weighs 65kg, hence 8.07w/kg, Froome 4 seconds faster 8.45W in watts assuming Froome is 68kg 574W.

EDIT: before anyone gets up in arms, it's not 100% accurate, it depends on a few factors. Take from it what you will. AlexRST can probably make a guess depending on positions, drafting, and the accuracy of the pioneer power meter.

Kelderman's data on strava there is direct from his power meter - if you put it in training peaks it would give the same maximum, so I would be 95% confident he was doing 980W or whatever it said.

You can tell this because it says 'weighted average power' rather than 'est average power' where it says '276W'

TRENDING THREADS