• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium du Dauphine 2014 - Who's gonna win?

Who's gonna win Dauphine?

• Others (Kelderman, Kwiatkowski, Van Den Broeck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 17, 2014
Visit site
Voted for Nibbles because I'd like to see him in a good form :p But I do't think he'll show anything yet. In 2012 he was bad in CdD and great in the TDF. It will surely be between Contador and Froome.

Should be a good test and I like the route. I will go with Froome, he seemed back to his old self at Romandie after an early season setback. Contador is obviously the main danger and should both of those turn up in good form then I can't see anyone else getting near them.

Contador's team:

CONTADOR Alberto
VALGREN Michael
SøRENSEN Nicki
SUTHERLAND Rory [new]
PIRES Bruno [new]
HERNáNDEZ Jesús [new]
BELTRAN Edward [new]
PAULINHO Sérgio [new]

Looks somewhat B-ish.

Perhaps one of the youngsters gets a chance to do something in between the GC action. Guys like Beltran and Valgren maybe.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
unfortunately, I can't see Froome not taking it. I mean look at that team on the slopes : Lopez/Kyrienka first stage of the rocket, Nieve/Thomas second stage, Porte third, Froome finishes it.. Rinse and repeat 3 times.. Beurk.

LaFlorecita said:
Contador is following the sky approach, which means win Dauphine. Contador needs to beat Froome.

You think he needs to? As a Tour predictor you mean, or as some kind of statement?

I voted with my head (and thus Froome) instead of my heart (I hope Contador beats him, but don't think he will unload to the degree he would need to in order to beat Froome here.)

I picked Froome because I don't think Contador cares one wit about winning the Dauphine. Froome NEEDS a win IMO. Romandie was a win against a weak field. I hope Contador just rides on his wheel. I look for Nibbles to lay down a marker or two as well.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Based on al the comments, it looks Contador is the current TDF champion, and that Froome is the man why has to beat him to get confidence.

Publicus said:
I picked Froome because I don't think Contador cares one wit about winning the Dauphine. Froome NEEDS a win IMO. Romandie was a win against a weak field. I hope Contador just rides on his wheel. I look for Nibbles to lay down a marker or two as well.

Contador hasn't beaten an on-form Froome uphill since la Vuelta 2012. You don't think he wants to see if he can now?

LaFlorecita said:
Contador hasn't beaten an on-form Froome uphill since la Vuelta 2012. You don't think he wants to see if he can now?

Nope. What would it mean to go deep to beat him in June and then falter in July when it counts? To me, at least, it would be much more meaningful if he just rode his wheel (can you tell I'm stuck in 2009 :p). Don't get me wrong, I would love it if he won, but he's never ridden the Dauphine for the overall victory and I don't expect him to start now (he strikes me as fairly superstitious).

RichieTheBest

BANNED
Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
the situation of froome attacking anf contador following him is a fight ftw for the second one automatically.

contador was chilling in the dauphine when he knew he would anyway be #1 fav having both climbing and tt superiority. its not the case today. he needs a mental boost and wants to win a lot for sure

Holy cow Nibbles is THIN.:eek: The TdF is going to be absolutely, positively, NUTS.

BpNxMh_IIAAu7pP.jpg

RichieTheBest said:
the situation of froome attacking anf contador following him is a fight ftw for the second one automatically.

contador was chilling in the dauphine when he knew he would anyway be #1 fav having both climbing and tt superiority. its not the case today. he needs a mental boost and wants to win a lot for sure

Why is this the case exactly? He's had a pretty good first half of the year. Much better than all of Team Sky's protagonists. It would seem to me THEY need a mental boost of sorts. To re-establish their dominance from last year. Reclaim their swagger.

This is precisely why if I were Contador I wouldn't go deep, I'd only follow Froome's wheel.

Publicus said:
Why is this the case exactly? He's had a pretty good first half of the year. Much better than all of Team Sky's protagonist. It would seem to me THEY need a mental boost of sorts. To re-establish their dominance from last year. Reclaim their swagger.

This is precisely why if I were Contador I wouldn't go deep, I'd only follow Froome's wheel.

Agreed. I mean, really, he has won a lot this year, hasn't he? People have talked about how his climbing has looked better, but his time trialing hasn't been shabby. Only Tony Martin beat him at Pais Vasco. It would be fun to see Contador beat Froome (for me) at the Dauphine, but it would be a lot more fun to see him beat Froome in Paris, and what little I know about the way each man expends and budgets energy suggests to me that Contador is better off letting Froome dig deep in the prep race.

Not that I want either man to win in Paris, mind (go Rui Costa!), but of the two, I'd certainly prefer to see Alberto win.

As for his mental state, Contador strikes me as pretty sanguine about how he's going. He doesn't need to win the Criterium to prove anything. He just needs to ride it well to prepare to prove something in July.

TRENDING THREADS