• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium du Dauphine 2014 - Who's gonna win?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who's gonna win Dauphine?

• Others (Kelderman, Kwiatkowski, Van Den Broeck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Publicus said:
Nope. What would it mean to go deep to beat him in June and then falter in July when it counts? To me, at least, it would be much more meaningful if he just rode his wheel (can you tell I'm stuck in 2009 :p). Don't get me wrong, I would love it if he won, but he's never ridden the Dauphine for the overall victory and I don't expect him to start now (he strikes me as fairly superstitious).

I guess we will see.

airstream said:
the situation of froome attacking anf contador following him is a fight ftw for the second one automatically.

contador was chilling in the dauphine when he knew he would anyway be #1 fav having both climbing and tt superiority. its not the case today. he needs a mental boost and wants to win a lot for sure

Planning another peak for the Tour? Why are you still around?

I have to say, this is kind of interesting. I just went and looked at some of the fairly recent races in which Froome and Contador have both participated. Each has finished ahead of the other a healthy number of times, but, Contador has only recently won major races at which Froome was a participant twice that I see, those being the GC and Stage 17 of the 2012 Vuelta.

Froome, on the other hand, has won nine fairly recent major races in which Contador has been a participant. Interesting sidelight, on four of those occasions, Contador came second.

By "fairly recent" I mean going back through 2012. Froome obviously finished ahead of Contador a lot last year.

christopherrowe said:
I have to say, this is kind of interesting. I just went and looked at some of the fairly recent races in which Froome and Contador have both participated. Each has finished ahead of the other a healthy number of times, but, Contador has only recently won major races at which Froome was a participant twice that I see, those being the GC and Stage 17 of the 2012 Vuelta.

Froome, on the other hand, has won nine fairly recent major races in which Contador has been a participant. Interesting sidelight, on four of those occasions, Contador came second.

By "fairly recent" I mean going back through 2012. Froome obviously finished ahead of Contador a lot last year.
Did you also check before August 2011?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I think contador won't let himself go deep just to win Dauphene. If he knows that he can stuck on Froome's wheel all the way to the finish line with no problem, he will let the Froome to dig deep, knowing that it should be enough confirmation for him that he'll be able to beat Froome come to TDF. That why this Dauphene becomes interesting since we're all speculate if Contador or Froome will go deep just to win it and hence getting the moral boost. Maybe Nibali will surprise us since he has been searching for his form all this time. This is a good ground for him to see where he is?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I voted for Froome based on my head :D Even though he will win it, he'll probably wet his pants due to stress and panic because Contador is glued to his wheel all the time. :D

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I voted with my heart (contie), but i dont really care who wins it. I hope that it ends up close and aggressive, setting us up for a tour we can look forward to rather than the prospect of a 2013 rehash.

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Voted Froome due to the strength of Sky's team and also because Froome/Sky like to win these races, whereas for me, Contador has already shown this year that he's a different animal to last year and he may not be overly concerned at finishing second to Froome here with the wins he already has in the bag.Its all about July for AC.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Contador is following the sky approach, which means win Dauphine. Contador needs to beat Froome.
He doesnt.(both)
He is only on 'kind of' their approach.Still its Alberto,mind games everywhere:D
And he doesnt need to beat Froome,he does need to not to be dropped by him,nothing else imo.His confidence is over the moon I think.
RichieTheBest said:
the situation of froome attacking anf contador following him is a fight ftw for the second one automatically.

contador was chilling in the dauphine when he knew he would anyway be #1 fav having both climbing and tt superiority. its not the case today. he needs a mental boost and wants to win a lot for sure
Yeah,he has to be really scared of Froome,when he barely won minor races and his team is peaking all year long from february:rolleyes:.And he himself destroyed everyone in spring,wtf...

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
How big of a troll Airstream is he's right though.

In '09 he never really tried to win dauphine cause he knew he was gonna crushe the tour. At that time he crushed anyone he wanted.

Now it's different. Winning races without Froome isn't enough and i'm sure Contador feels that way about it. Ok he'll prob be 2nd for sure but he doesn't care about that, it's irrelevant.

If he could ride away from Froome at the dauphine it would be really big for Contador.

This has contador written all over it. There is no real time trial, just climbing. I think he wins this race. Historically, if Contador shows up to races he does so to win them. This year he seems back on that program. Froome will be more measured.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
This. Imho his best chance is that Froome burns himself out already from Dauphine. Alberto needs to drop Froome in the third week, not the Dauphine.
It will never happen tho,Froome is not really smart,but he is not that stupid;)
Netserk said:
No he doesn't. Either way he will try his best to take as much time in the mountains as he can.

This.

TRENDING THREADS