• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium du Dauphine 2014 - Who's gonna win?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who's gonna win Dauphine?

• Others (Kelderman, Kwiatkowski, Van Den Broeck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
PirazziAttacksVino said:
It's quite hard to implement 6 man teams. That would mean a lot of riders not getting contracts for the following year.

No, there are plenty of races on the calendar with limited fields today.
Check out Luxembourg as an example. Spread the riders more. No problem.

Gotta make the races more exciting if the sport is the grow. Better terms for everybody will follow.

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
No, there are plenty of races on the calendar with limited fields today.
Check out Luxembourg as an example. Spread the riders more. No problem.

Gotta make the races more exciting if the sport is the grow. Better terms for everybody will follow.

Tour of Poland too. But the point is, with all the races on the calendar with 6 man teams, it would mean that a World Tour team would have around 23 riders each. That would mean that 40-50 World Tour riders can't get a contract for the following year.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
I just hope it's a good race, it would be great to see attack and counter-attack from both guys but I doubt either will want to go that close to the red before the Tour.

I think Froome would, its his mentality, he cant help it, he just have to show who is boss. And if he cant drop AC and AC still looks cool and fresh, I would think you could see a Froome do stupid things in the tour, and not to forget, he never raced a Contador in top condition yet, he have no idea, he still believe it will be same procedure as last year. Thats why I dont want AC to show anything before the tour, keep him clueless.
Hell, he even started to say Porte could end up on the 2nd podium.... I mean, the guy have no respect and I wanna see him suffer. :D
In my humble opinion I think AC and Riis could win half the tour on mind games alone, if AC have the psychical strength to do so of course.

PirazziAttacksVino said:
Tour of Poland too. But the point is, with all the races on the calendar with 6 man teams, it would mean that a World Tour team would have around 23 riders each. That would mean that 40-50 World Tour riders can't get a contract for the following year.

Still don't see the correlation. Why wouldn't a WT team send riders to lower ranked races if riders are idle in a period? There are many races (.HC and .1) with limited fields today.

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Still don't see the correlation. Why wouldn't a WT team send riders to lower ranked races if riders are idle in a period? There are many races (.HC and .1) with limited fields today.

Taking part in more races could be a solution, but still, there would be Pro Conti riders who wouldn't go to World Tour teams just because they know that they would be sent with the B team in "small ****ty races". Which they could very well target with a Pro Conti team as leaders, while still taking part in several World Tour events, which at a World Tour team wouldn't have the chance to take part in.

PirazziAttacksVino said:
Taking part in more races could be a solution, but still, there would be Pro Conti riders who wouldn't go to World Tour teams just because they know that they would be sent with the B team in "small ****ty races". Which they could very well target with a Pro Conti team as leaders, while still taking part in several World Tour events, which at a World Tour team wouldn't have the chance to take part in.

Riders with serious ambition will likely move upwards to the teams which guarantees access to the biggest races. That and money.

6 man teams will not change that.

Butterhead said:
I think Froome would, its his mentality, he cant help it, he just have to show who is boss. And if he cant drop AC and AC still looks cool and fresh, I would think you could see a Froome do stupid things in the tour, and not to forget, he never raced a Contador in top condition yet, he have no idea, he still believe it will be same procedure as last year. Thats why I dont want AC to show anything before the tour, keep him clueless.
Hell, he even started to say Porte could end up on the 2nd podium.... I mean, the guy have no respect and I wanna see him suffer. :D
In my humble opinion I think AC and Riis could win half the tour on mind games alone, if AC have the psychical strength to do so of course.

Yeah I get your point, i hope that if Froome had any sense about him then he'd understand how tough this Tour will be for him if Contador arrives in super condition. He does need to be sensible in the lead up but thats easier said then done of course! There is also the option that Contador won't return to past form despite the improvement this year but I hope Froome doesn't take the risk of thinking that.

I believe they've both just finished their camps up in Tenerife, it wouldn't surprise me if they knew more about each other than we would believe.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Yeah I get your point, i hope that if Froome had any sense about him then he'd understand how tough this Tour will be for him if Contador arrives in super condition. He does need to be sensible in the lead up but thats easier said then done of course! There is also the option that Contador won't return to past form despite the improvement this year but I hope Froome doesn't take the risk of thinking that.

I believe they've both just finished their camps up in Tenerife, it wouldn't surprise me if they knew more about each other than we would believe.

We cant know about his form of course, if its like the old days, but if we should believe both Riis and de Jongh, he is where he is supposed to be, so I keep the piggy fingers crossed. ;)

Dazed and Confused said:
Surely Contador wants to put in a few attacks here and there. These might not yield a big result, but its miles better than becoming just another wheelsucker.

The biggest obstacle is Sky's team strength. 6 man teams would be better here, but even with reduced numbers Sky can put a formidable team together.

Still some question marks over Porte and Nieve. Froome and Lopez showed form at Romandie, Kiryienka and Thomas at Bayern. If all six are in shape at the Dauphine with Froome wanting to send a message then there's going to be carnage on the climbs.

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Butterhead said:
I dont care who wins, course it wont matter.
The only thing im interested in is to see what Contador does, does he just follow Froomes wheel like a shadow without moving an inch then I would be happy, course the real beating will happen in the tour.
I dont want to see Alberto struggle at any time, no matter what Froome does, just follow his wheel and do nothing, and you will have a scared shytless Froome in the tour... thats right! ;)

we was are see what happened in tour de Catalonia between them contador was Very strong mentally in this year, of course he needs a team working with the same mentality. Tour de France sky Team ( TTT ) will make it difficult for others and they will put contador under the pressure from beginning.. It is important we are enjoy to the end ... i love to see both of them fighting each other will be good for sport ..

May 20, 2014
Visit site
This Dauphine, Froome will finally see for the first time time what it's like to race against in-form Contador. Contador was amazing during the spring, including some of the most dominating pro-cycling race performances I've seen in several years. All signs seem to indicate that he's back. Oh it should be good.

I'm only tad confused why Saxo sends the B team? I assume he only wants to scare Froome, maybe send a msg, but not too much more?

I'm really hoping for some magic to happen with Nibali though. Everything that has gone on so far this year seems to indicate not good news, but in my heart, I still believe.

mihhint said:
This Dauphine, Froome will finally see for the first time time what it's like to race against in-form Contador. Contador was amazing during the spring, including some of the most dominating pro-cycling race performances I've seen in several years. All signs seem to indicate that he's back. Oh it should be good.

I'm only tad confused why Saxo sends the B team? I assume he only wants to scare Froome, maybe send a msg, but not too much more?

I'm really hoping for some magic to happen with Nibali though. Everything that has gone on so far this year seems to indicate not good news, but in my heart, I still believe.

My guess is that there are two factors at play: (A) Rogers and Roche need to recover from the Giro in advance of the Tour and (B) Kreuziger wants his chance to get a good overall result at Tour de Suisse since he'll be Contador's first lieutenant at the TdF.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I think its Alberto with a point to prove, he threw everything at Froome in the TDF last year and the Sky rider barely blinked, The days when Contador gobbled up GT wins as a matter of course may be over.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
A top 5 would be nice and should be doable if he's got the form.

In 2012 he looked like the man most likely to, but he had a `mare last year. a good showing in the Dauphine will be a sign if he is back to his best.

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
just guess

in dauphine is very difficult to say who will win .. Richie, Nibali , contador and froom all of them in top ..
but why sky team pull it Richie Porte from giro d'italia ? Where he was supposed to have been for a chance to win ? i was just guess, when they are Watching how the contador was full ready and very strong this year , i think they are change all The plan, which was developed for the season to give full support to froom . there is no time to thinking how they can stop it contador , and Porte one of these sacrifices even if the porte he deserve more from sky as what he is doing and give to the team last year in TDF , so in this year story ( froom In the face of contador ) or ( contador In the face of froom ) ... just guess

keep going said:
in dauphine is very difficult to say who will win .. Richie, Nibali , contador and froom all of them in top ..
but why sky team pull it Richie Porte from giro d'italia ? Where he was supposed to have been for a chance to win ? i was just guess, when they are Watching how the contador was full ready and very strong this year , i think they are change all The plan, which was developed for the season to give full support to froom . there is no time to thinking how they can stop it contador , and Porte one of these sacrifices even if the porte he deserve more from sky as what he is doing and give to the team last year in TDF , so in this year story ( froom In the face of contador ) or ( contador In the face of froom ) ... just guess

Porte has had a hard time finding form this spring. He has not been like he was last year around this time. Yes, they pulled him out so he would be ready to go for the TdF, but I also think they pulled him because realistically he would not have done very well at the Giro.

Arredondo said:
Porte who was in too bad shape to play a factor in the Giro, is going to win the Dauphine?

What did i miss lately?

You didn't miss squat. :) He hasn't been racing so who knows what his form is like....However Froome did say in his interview with BBC that Porte has been doing well with his training. That could just be trash talk....he wants Porte as his B plan not Wiggins, so what is he going to say - Porte is weak? I don't think so....

TRENDING THREADS