• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Criterium du Dauphine 2014 - Who's gonna win?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who's gonna win Dauphine?

• Others (Kelderman, Kwiatkowski, Van Den Broeck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Jspear said:
You didn't miss squat. :) He hasn't been racing so who knows what his form is like....However Froome did say in his interview with BBC that Porte has been doing well with his training. That could just be trash talk....he wants Porte as his B plan not Wiggins, so what is he going to say - Porte is weak? I don't think so....

Froome is a rider who always wants to win. So i don't see him giving Porte a present. Porte's form isn't good to win DL anyway.

It would be quite logical Porte is better now after a rest period and training.

This year Richie Porte has raced 24 days and his best results have been a January stage win at the Tour Down Under and, in February, second on GC at Andalucia (31 seconds down on Valverde). He hasn't finished a race since, DNSing stage 5 of Tirreno-Adriatico and posting DNFs at Stage 2 of Catalunya, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, and stage 4 of Romandie.

Last year at this time, he had 35 racing days in his legs. He'd won a stage and the overall at Paris-Nice, won the time trial and came second overall at the Criterium International, and won a stage and came second overall at Pais Vasco. He'd finished five stage races and only posted one DNF (Liege-Bastogne-Liege).

It's unfortunately difficult-to-impossible to judge form and fire from public comments about training and so on, leaving us with past performances as our surest guide. By that measure, it looks to me like Froome has cause to be worried about Porte. But all will come clear in when he rolls down that ramp in Lyon on Sunday, I guess.

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Arredondo said:
Froome is a rider who always wants to win. So i don't see him giving Porte a present.

From what I remember, he tried to gift Dauphine to Porte last year, but Porte had a bad day and couldn't follow his wheel or smth. So he eventually had to leave him and go on his own.

christopherrowe said:
This year Richie Porte has raced 24 days ....

2014 has been a mess for their GT riders. Oddly, super-Froome was able to go from 'ill' to podium in just a couple of days.

Super-Froome is supposedly best friends with Porte, so we might see some gifting. Or, we might not and Froome's public reputation will only decline. But there's no way Froome has to worry about Porte stealing the race. Team politics/goals dictate who finishes where in a situation where the two of them could podium.

No matter what, it will be interesting to see the top-10.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Nibali looks fit for the first time this season. Probably wont do good, since he never does good in Dauphine, but one can hope ;)

Let Froome and Contador fight it out in these pre-tour races. And just wait, stay consistent, never losing too much time. And in the 3rd week of the Tour when their running on fumes (see Froome in 2013 ;)) he strikes!

They won't know what hit them. :cool:

Afrank said:
Let Froome and Contador fight it out in these pre-tour races. And just wait, stay consistent, never losing too much time. And in the 3rd week of the Tour when their running on fumes (see Froome in 2013 ;)) he strikes!

They won't know what hit them. :cool:

For a moment there I thought you were talking about our boy;)

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Contador hasn't beaten an on-form Froome uphill since la Vuelta 2012. You don't think he wants to see if he can now?

True. However, Froome wasnt at his best then, tired from the Tour...

Hope Froome shows that he still can dominate AC. And I hope Porte will be back at his old level, too.

cauberg1999

BANNED
Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
it seems like all the races froome won was a lucky accidnt. rivals bad days, offform rivals, perfect parcours etc. froome has no clue what riding versus on form contador is. yes it is true but contador knows very well what riding vs fit froome is because froome is a hurricane

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
cauberg1999 said:
it seems like all the races froome won was a lucky accidnt. rivals bad days, offform rivals, perfect parcours etc. froome has no clue what riding versus on form contador is. yes it is true but contador knows very well what riding vs fit froome is because froome is a hurricane

What?I probably looked on a wrong month in my calendar last time I checked it,Im confused, it is July?:rolleyes:

I think that Contador will win this but froome will be a close second.Alberto seems to have found his old form and should squash sky in the mountain tops.Yet the real prize is still a few weeks away both riders will only go so deep.Im also looking forward to seeing nibbles ride.

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
In my experience simple , we can see contador maybe 100 ready this year, especially after the surprise performance of Froom in Tour of France 2013 and when he talk you feel full Confidence in his voice and voice of Director of his team . as in this link ( http://youtu.be/7dk0T3pnsM8 ) .
for me i love cycling sport i am very excited to all Confrontations which will combine them . in my life i wish to see Rodriguez and Porte win in title giro , de france or vuelta .. guys please when that will happen ???

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I think Froome will take it. But will it be broadcasted on Eurosport?
Edit: According to Steephill it will be. I seem to remember it wasn't the case in last years

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Gregory said:
I think Froome will take it. But will it be broadcasted on Eurosport?
Edit: According to Steephill it will be. I seem to remember it wasn't the case in last years

The last years it was live. This year they finish earlier because of the WC in Brazil.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the answers. I'm really looking forward to this race, think it will be much better than the giro. The suspense and emotion on the first mountain stage will be great

TRENDING THREADS