• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Crucial Poll: Which sport is harder? Cycling or Tennis?

Which sport is harder? Cycling or tennis?

• Tennis

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
lookkg386 said:
Is Tennis a sport or a game?

It is in between. It is clearly not a pure game like pool. It requires a high level of fitness. Games can last up to five hours.

At the top end I think tennis is a very hard sport but I don't think it compares to the suffering required while climbing in the lead group at the TdF.

What do you mean by "harder"?

If physically grueling, as in endurance and aerobics, I'll pick cycling. If you're looking for technical excellence, as in hitting that ball with the accuracy needed, coupled with being somewhat grueling, then probably tennis.

Sticking with the physically grueling type, I've tried many sports and competed in quite a few, and the "hardest" I believe is cross country skiing. When you're racing (or just really pushing it) it is more draining than anything. I used to take HRM statistics and they pretty much backed that up. Never tried rowing, though I've heard that's pretty taxing as well.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
If we are talking about physically demanding, then I believe climbing a col is up there but I read somewhere that cross country skiing and rowing were two of the hardest.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I remember, years ago, seeing a TV programme where they got a bunch of different sportsman together and the tennis player came second iirc. Can't remember who was first and I don't think they had a cyclist on it. However, I can't believe that even a 5 hour tennis game can compare to a mountain stage or the spring classics, hence I voted for the cyclist.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Similar to Hinter's thinking, I believe the endless torture of Roubaix would outlast a particularlty torrid day at the Australian Open. I do think that Cross Country Skiing is probably the toughest all around, unless you want to count Channel Swimming as an actual sport.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
OK, since we're digressing a little

High Altitude Mountaineering is by far the most difficult endurance sport in the world. I've done just about everything and nothing comes close. I've been up the Mortirolo and the Tourmalet (suffering indeed) but it is nothing compared to climbing with crampons and a 40 pound pack for over six hours at altitudes up to 19,000 feet.

A

Anonymous

Yea, well I actually watched City Slickers 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold from beginning to end, and I have to say that nothing compares to that in terms of grueling.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
You can't compare the two as they are completely different and require vastly different skill sets.

If you really had to put them head to head, I'd hazard to say the tennis player being quite aerobically strong could cycle well enough.
The cyclist no matter how fit or strong, may or may not have the hand/eye co-ordination skills to be able to hit a ball properly (plus the addition of court craft skills).

ps:I didn't vote because I don't think they are comparable

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Yea, well I actually watched City Slickers 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold from beginning to end, and I have to say that nothing compares to that in terms of grueling.

Yes but that is neither a sport or a game. More along the lines of waterboarding :eek: For the true masochist you could try "Wanted" or "Runaway Vacation".

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Foodforthought, looks like you are Au then :) I saw it, turned it off

As above horses for courses, not much need to have the eyes to follow a ball to the handle bars...

A

Anonymous

tennis technically
cycling physically

its like asking what is harder, archery or diving... :?

still think fignon had the hair to be a tennis player...

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Guys marathons are really tough on the body, especially in competitive distance runners. Lots of Shin-Splints and what not.

But... The Gigathalon in Swiss Alps I believe is probably the hardest as in hard. Running DOWN mountains for miles does major damage.

NFL football is also really tough... Cycling is tough too. But football is probably harder on the body injury wise (and drug wise.)

A

Anonymous

lookkg386 said:
Can of worms here, Baseball/Softball HARDER OR TOUGHER than cycling....don't think so.

interesting chart but ultimately fairly pointless..
main problem i have with it, is while its grade to rate every sport based on various catagories, strength, speed, durability etc, they have made each catagory worth a possible 10pts.. that immediately has a negative effect on sports where endurance is the key with less other skills required, etc etc etc.making nerve as highly rating as endurance is ridiculous.. its all a bit of hogwash really..

interesting to see that cheerleading is higher than several sports. mind you it was helped by there not being a mental aptitude column.. :D:eek:

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
Guys marathons are really tough on the body, especially in competitive distance runners. Lots of Shin-Splints and what not.

But... The Gigathalon in Swiss Alps I believe is probably the hardest as in hard. Running DOWN mountains for miles does major damage.

NFL football is also really tough... Cycling is tough too. But football is probably harder on the body injury wise (and drug wise.)

Have you not seen the advertisement at the top of the CN main page. It says "if cycling were easy they would call it football".

Don't you need co-ords for tennis. you learn how to pedal when you're a kid. i tried playing tennis off season. its damn hard and there's no way you're going to serve an ace without hours of practice. jump on a bike and the world is your oyster,eezeee

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Cycling is harder. As a former tennis player and instructor, I can say that tennis is simply not as hard. Not even the best of 5 sets with a never-ending tie-breaker is as hard as a 120-mile cycling race. The fact that tennis players dope and don't get tested while cycling shoots itself in the foot from a marketing perspective makes it even more ironic than it otherwose would be.