• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cunego targets TdF GC

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
LOL- Cunego's ambition to win the TDF is as deluding as Cadel's too. both must abandon that idea once for all and get as much victories elsewhere as they can.
May have misread it, but I don't get the impression that Cunego was saying that he was going for the win, just that his primary focus was a decent GC spot and if that wasn't working out, then he'll concentrate on stages.

Besides, it might just be all talk - I don't think the team sponsor would be too happy hearing their team leader saying "hey, we have no chance at the GC so I'm just going to ride around a bit and try for a stage win", even if that is exactly what he intends to do.

Angliru said:
Is there any other circumstance where a grand tour contender/winner had suffered mono immediately after their initial success or any time afterwards? I ask because Cunego contracted mono the following year (2005) and hasn't shown the same endurance/ability to recover over the 3 weeks of a grand tour since. I'm sure the clinic will come into play on many responses but I'm curious to see what if any history of another rider's reaction performance wise to this illness. Coincidentally his fall from grand tour prominence happened around the same time as Yaroslav Popovich's. Neither of them has ever been the same since.
The only one I remember is Greg Lemond. But he was already an established rider on a decline by the time that he got it. It also coincided with the start of the EPO era.

So I don't know of anybody else.

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
hfer07 said:
LOL- Cunego's ambition to win the TDF is as deluding as Cadel's too. both must abandon that idea once for all and get as much victories elsewhere as they can.

How could i overlook this post. That was extremely silly.

TRENDING THREADS