• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

custom cycling shoes

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have had to have custom inserts for years so I tried a pair of BONT shoes they are great. no doubt other manufacturers will follow.

But I didnt pay that much for mine.

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
has8888 said:
I just bought a pair of custom cycling shoes, they have made a huge difference.more of a difference than I would ever have imagined. the shoes are under 200 grams and all unidirectional carbon hand made by Dave Simmons.I thought they may be hot,but not all.
picture of my shoes at
http://www.simmonscyclingshoes.com/Workbench/IMAG059A.JPG
home page
http://www.simmonscyclingshoes.com/Home.html

Those shoes are so ugly that should be banned;)
Overshoes are mandatory.

I am well aware of Dave Simmons' exceptional handiwork from my speedskating days. If I wouldn't already have a pair of custom orthotics, I would seriously consider a pair of Simmons cycling shoes or another custom shoe. Although I have to say that, due to the nature of what the foot goes through while speedskating, custom shoes make a bigger difference in that sport than in cycling.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm impressed with the shoes. They look beautifully made and I can imagine how great my feet would feel in a pair of custom lasted shoes. But my wife would kill me.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
has8888 said:
I just bought a pair of custom cycling shoes, they have made a huge difference.more of a difference than I would ever have imagined. the shoes are under 200 grams and all unidirectional carbon hand made by Dave Simmons.I thought they may be hot,but not all.
picture of my shoes at
http://www.simmonscyclingshoes.com/Workbench/IMAG059A.JPG
home page
http://www.simmonscyclingshoes.com/Home.html

Who are you? mario cipollini?

I don't care how well they fit. I ain't wearing bike shoes that look like Paula Abdul would wear to the gramys

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
To fail at an advert I would need to sell something, I am not, only sharing what I think could be the stiffest lightest shoe out there. people spend thousands to loose a few hundred grams. cost is relative, to Chad Hedrick who has won Olympic medals on long track ice with Simmons custom boots, they are priceless. For myself, like zipp wheels if they work they are worth it. as for looks, they are awesome, all black unidirectional carbon. They are not traditional, they are not covered in heavy leather, they are very stiff and have a very low stack height. I think the point where transfer your power to the bike is as important as the rest of the drivetrain. It is most neglected. Most do not like change, they like what looks traditional. I like whats lightest, most efficient and comfortable. These are custom in every way so if you wanted 4 straps, buckles and leather all over them you could. I like simplicity. look at some other shoes Dave has made. http://www.simmonscyclingshoes.com/Workbench.html

marathon marke said:
As I've said in an earlier post, I'm well familiar with Dave's boot from my years in speedskating. His products are made for people who are serious about their sport, rather than just being a poser.

Actually this sounds like the type of cycling product that is made for posers. What pretend racer wants to be without his $1800 shoes when the other guys at the MS150 only paid $400 for theirs?

BroDeal said:
Actually this sounds like the type of cycling product that is made for posers. What pretend racer wants to be without his $1800 shoes when the other guys at the MS150 only paid $400 for theirs?

Well, seeing as these shoes don't seem to attract buyers because of their looks (look at the comments on that issue), I can't see why they would be popular with posers.

I can only speak from my own experience. Now as I've mentioned earlier, speedskating requires more precision in a shoe than cycling does. But I do know that even when it comes to cycling, having a properly fit shoe, or an orthotic/shoe combination, can make huge difference for some people. I speak from an ultra background, and my custom orthotics allow me to cycle at distances that I could never do with a stock insole. And for various reasons, I would love to have that integrated into the shoes itself.

I know that there are ultra cylists who don't require this amount of control in their shoe, but it's ridiculous to assume that anyone buying these shoes is a poser.

By the way, my shoes are $39 Pearl Izumis. But it's the $700 orthotics (I didn't pay that for them though) that make them work like custom shoes, and I didn't have to pay $400 for mine like that guy on the MS150 ride did. :rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I bought a pair of Bont A2 last year. Heat mouldable so not exactly custom but as you find and mould out all those little pressure points the shoes get more comfortable.
With their extremely low stack height you really feel connected to the pedals. I don't even need to close them tightly. They fit so closely to your foot that they just attach you without needing to also feel tight.
For $300 they are also a pretty good price.

Master50 said:
I bought a pair of Bont A2 last year. Heat mouldable so not exactly custom but as you find and mould out all those little pressure points the shoes get more comfortable.
With their extremely low stack height you really feel connected to the pedals. I don't even need to close them tightly. They fit so closely to your foot that they just attach you without needing to also feel tight.
For $300 they are also a pretty good price.

Bont is another shoe I was considering, and the low stack height is one reason. I think for many people who experience problems with stock shoes, these heat-moldable ones could fit the bill. The only reason I'm unsure about Bont is that they just don't have the open mesh construction for cooling that I often need during the long, hot, and hilly rides of summer. Have you had any experience with these shoes on long hot rides?

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
the Simmons are also heat-moldable. the stock shoe is more affordable and you can pick custom colors. For cooling, the liner is neapreane like a wetsuit.no socks needed. temp stays very consistant hot or cold and you can wash them out with out damaging the shoe. recently did a 100mile ride in florida. My feet felt no hotter than the mesh shoes I had previously.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
ray j willings said:
Very nice ,,,lets us know how they hold up.

Dude's got 4 posts from 2011, you might be waiting a while fella ;)

My mistake :D

Check these out
http://www.rocket7.com/#!superlite/cyy
Armstrong used them rebranded as Nike
lancearmstrong_cycling.jpg