• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclesport comment: Problem not solved

But do you know who needs to justify themselves even more than the cheating dopers and those who help them break the rules in their cynical, manipulative way?

It is the otherwise decent, honest people who turn a blind eye. People who are happy to wallow around in a sport that at times resembles a three-inch pool of rancid, stagnant water while avoiding that which must be obvious.

The willingness of good people to tolerate it in silence and weather each media storm has become despicable. The conciliatory language is feeble and meaningless and deserves no respect. Their desire not to rock the boat is pathetic. The level of protectionism and self-interest at play from powerful people in the sport of cycling is a disgrace and should not be tolerated any longer.

http://www.cyclesportmag.com/news-a...roblem-not-solved/comment-page-1/#comment-117

Noble wording, yes? Shame it's from the magazine that employs Graham Watson and provides him with a section in which to do exactly what is being complained about above.

Rank hypocrisy at it's finest. :rolleyes:

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Noble wording, yes? Shame it's from the magazine that employs Graham Watson and provides him with a section in which to do exactly what is being complained about above.

Rank hypocrisy at it's finest. :rolleyes:

It's also from the magazine that as long ago as 2002 ran a front page headline after that years tour 'is lance killing the tour'. Inside the issue was an article by David Walsh, comparing Lemond to Armstrong. After that Lance vowed never to speak to them or cycling weekly again, and didn't, until the interview he gave to cycle sport in late 2008, which I can't imagine he wasn't to happy with either.
Unlike Procycling, Cycle Sport doesn't read like a cycling 'fanzine' (if you remember the 'clean issue' the ran in 2006 you might agree)

Whatever you think of the article it's fairly consistent with what cycle sport have been saying over the past few years and nowhere near the staggering and shamless volte face by procycling last month, when they could finally see the writing was on the wall for lance. In their tour review issue, their main article concluded that cycling shouldn't concern itself with the investigation into armstrong's past, their only other mention of it was a letter from a reader berating Landis for speaking out.

May 22, 2009
Visit site
Cycle Sport has become a joke anyway. It's just devolved into a comic trying to be humourous by mocking and being cruel to anyone, unless they're British in which case they're a demigod, and generally just biased, flawed, poor reporting. Essentially the Broomwago section has just taken over the magazine.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
SC1990 said:
Essentially the Broomwago section has just taken over the magazine.

Fair point; I've noticed this myself. When those comments are in the Broomwagon, they are fun and they suit my sense of humor quite well. When watered-down versions of the same snide comments creep into the main features, it's just snarky, biased, and unfair to the people out there racing. Even if the magazine spreads it around pretty evenly, it's poor reporting, in my opinion, and it demeans the true intensity and raw emotion of good racing.

TRENDING THREADS