• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling book thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
great way to train yourself book

Hi all,
I just started the hobby of biking and got this ebook from my brother. Its a great training book to help you train yourself. the great thing is, you can listen while you are riding :). Enjoy, hsaldon.
101 Cycling Workouts

Above in this thread, I was allowed to explain the new publication date for my novel 'cast the first stone', and thank you. As we re-edited the work with the new publisher, I had the opportunity to revisit my research material and some of the cyclists I interviewed. I went back to see one young man who was on the cusp of going pro and he was outed for doping. he stopped, but then also stopped winning and he committed suicide. His wife said he couldn't tolerate not winning. I was able to get his character out of the book before advanced press runs out of respect for his family. RIP.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Books I have read....

Fiction:

French Revolutions - Tim Moore
North Wind in Your Spokes - Hans Blickensdorfer
The Race - Dave Shields
The Rider - Tim Krabbe
The Yellow Jersey - Ralph Hurne

Non Fiction:

Bicycle Racing in the Modern Era
- Twenty Five Years of Cycling Journalism from the Editors of VeloNews
Breaking the Chain - Willy Voet
A Century of Cycling - William Fotheringham
The Crooked Path to Victory - Les Woodland
Eddy Merckx - Rik Vanwalleghem
Flying Scotsman - Graeme Obree
The Giro d'Italia - Dino Buzzati
The Official Tour de France Centennial 1903-2003
Rough Ride - Paul Kimmage
Uphill Battle - Owen Mulholland

Have others lying around or stored somewhere. I agree with OP, one of the best books I have read is Graeme Obree's.

ak-zaaf said:
'van santander naar santander' the autobiography by peter winnen. one of the best cycling books i've read.

Oh Goodness ! Could you tell me if it's available round here in Belgium. I once read a column by Peter Winnen. This one: http://retro.nrc.nl/W2/Lab/Tour99/interview.html

I really enjoyed it and would love to read his book.

I'm currently reading De Flandriens, the book that corresponds to the TV programme by Michel Wuyts on Canvas.

I've got a collection of 29 books on cycling, in French or Dutch and I've read some other that were available in the library in which I work.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I've read through this thread and the one linked early on, and have a good list of books to read.

I'm a relative newcomer to the sport (been following closely for about four years now) and am interested in getting a solid base on the history of road racing - which books are a good starting point (I can read French as well as English, if there's anything to recommend there)?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know of any books specifically about Gino Bartali?

I know Fotheringham's book about Coppi discusses Bartali in a good amount of detail (how could it not) however I would really be interested in reading a book based around Bartali.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
kelvedon wonder said:
Got to mention French Revolutions by Tim Moore. Ok, not a serious cycling book, but it's great fun.

I tried so hard to like that book but I find his writing absolutely impenetrable. I really don't know why it is but at least a quarter of the time I have no idea what he's on about. BTW, Moore wrote a fantastic piece about Pantani in Pro Cycling's memorial issue. He's definitely not a Lance fan.
I recently finished Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape- the life of Jacques Anquetil. Despite the cheesy title it's a great read about a world and sport that no longer really exist.