• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling clubs & racing in Sicily

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of amateur road racing or cycling clubs in Sicily.

Considering moving over there and would like to get an idea of what the scene is like there.

Mi piace Sicilia!

Johnny,

Sicilia is big, where are you considering moving to? I am very familiar with the riding in Ragusa province, particularly in the area around Vittoria, Acate, Pedalino, Comiso etc. I lived in the area 20 years ago and my wife and I visit for 2-3 weeks every spring.

If you're considering that area I might be able to help.

Ciao

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
steelciocc said:
Johnny,

Sicilia is big, where are you considering moving to? I am very familiar with the riding in Ragusa province, particularly in the area around Vittoria, Acate, Pedalino, Comiso etc. I lived in the area 20 years ago and my wife and I visit for 2-3 weeks every spring.

If you're considering that area I might be able to help.

Ciao

Hi,

thanks for your response and you're right, I should have been a bit more specific. I'm actually considering moving to Siracusa, so not too far away from Ragusa at all. Any info you could give me would be great!

Ciclismo Sicilia!

Johnny,

Although I don't know any specifics of the cycling environment in Siracusa I am sure it is great. As with anywhere in Italy/Sicily cycling is looked upon favorably by motorists and the general public. The terrain around Siracusa will provide plenty of variety and scenery for your rides.

My experience in Ragusa province is that there are multiple "sponsored" amateur teams (too many to count) as well as local clubs (sports societies or sports clubs) in most larger towns. Siracusa should have more than enough organized cycling to choose from.

As for racing, in the spring at least, there are races every weekend with more than one to choose from within an hours drive.

Please keep us posted. I would love to hook up with you for a ride next April. If you get over the Iblean Mountains to the Ragusa side swing by Criscione Sport in Pedalino. Sicilia's biggest Scott dealer run by ex-pro Pasquale Criscione (GIS Gelato & Jolly). Pasquale's a great guy and either he or his brother Maurizio will take you out for a ride.

I would live there if I could (If I didn't need to work). If the dollar ever gets really strong against the Euro I plan on buying an apartment somewhere on the south side of the island.

Buona fortuna!

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
steelciocc said:
Johnny,

Although I don't know any specifics of the cycling environment in Siracusa I am sure it is great. As with anywhere in Italy/Sicily cycling is looked upon favorably by motorists and the general public. The terrain around Siracusa will provide plenty of variety and scenery for your rides.

My experience in Ragusa province is that there are multiple "sponsored" amateur teams (too many to count) as well as local clubs (sports societies or sports clubs) in most larger towns. Siracusa should have more than enough organized cycling to choose from.

As for racing, in the spring at least, there are races every weekend with more than one to choose from within an hours drive.

Please keep us posted. I would love to hook up with you for a ride next April. If you get over the Iblean Mountains to the Ragusa side swing by Criscione Sport in Pedalino. Sicilia's biggest Scott dealer run by ex-pro Pasquale Criscione (GIS Gelato & Jolly). Pasquale's a great guy and either he or his brother Maurizio will take you out for a ride.

I would live there if I could (If I didn't need to work). If the dollar ever gets really strong against the Euro I plan on buying an apartment somewhere on the south side of the island.

Buona fortuna!

Nice one - thanks a million for this.

I kind of guessed there would be a decent amount of races & clubs over there but was having a hard time finding any info on the net. Assumedly most of the websites are in italian and that would really explain why i can't find anything.

Anyway, nothing set in stone yet but hopefully I can work it out! We'll see anyway.

Thanks again!

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Re: Ciclismo Sicilia!

Steel

Do you still go to Sicily? I'm going there this summer for first time and am thinking of bringing my road bike to get some cycling in (usually I go to Spain/Mallorca/Canaries for cycling). Any recommendations of places to stay or cycle would be really welcome.

The Count

steelciocc said:
Johnny,

Buona fortuna!

TRENDING THREADS