• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling DVD Collection: Where to get rare footage of TdF, Giro and Vuelta?

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
If those of you with impressive cycling DVD/download collections could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated and would no doubt be helpful to others experiencing similar difficulties:

Basically I have a fairly developed collection of footage of the Grand Tours, however I'm really struggling to find coverage of the following and am running out of places to turn:

1. Tour de France: English language coverage of 1980, 1981 and 1982 tours (I can get French but quality is very dodgy and I prefer English commentary).

2. Giro d'Italia: English language coverage of 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1992 Giros (I can get Italian coverage of most of these of varying quality but would like English).

3. Vuelta a Espana: Any coverage at all of the 2001 Vuelta (in any language and particularly the stages won by Jimenez) and English language of any Vueltas before 1997 (except the year Kelly won which I have).

4. Less famous races featuring Marco Pantani - Giro del Trentino, Tour of Murcia and the like from the mid 1990s.

I've tried cyclingtorrents.nl, I've tried WCP and similar who don't have coverage going that far back, I've tried sellers of old cycling races on Ebay (they don't have them), I've tried Campagchris and similar collectors on these boards (they don't have them) and I've tried PM'ing Alpe d'Huez and Cycling Vault (no reply).

Does anyone have any other suggestions where this coverage and similar can be obtained??

Any contributions would be really appreciated.

Lucky

I know it's not DVD, but try Truveo.com. Enter any tour from the 60s through the 80s and it will pull up a number of videos from a French Youtube-like website called INA -- race coverage, but also special interview and news features. You can search INA itself directly, but I've found it difficult. Admittedly, it's not in English, but it really is a goldmine of little odds and ends you'll never see anywhere else.

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks

yetanothergreenworld said:
I know it's not DVD, but try Truveo.com. Enter any tour from the 60s through the 80s and it will pull up a number of videos from a French Youtube-like website called INA -- race coverage, but also special interview and news features. You can search INA itself directly, but I've found it difficult. Admittedly, it's not in English, but it really is a goldmine of little odds and ends you'll never see anywhere else.

Thanks - this is a superb recommendation - I wondered where all the French footage that is available came from. It would be great if there is an English language equivalent that someone knows of???

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the giro 89 and spring classics 89 taped from Irish tv, It's being heavily cut/edited over the years but your welcome to a copy. pm me.

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
1988 Giro?

I particularly wondered if anyone (e.g. US cycling fans?) might have any English language footage of Andy Hampsten's victory in the 1988 Giro d'Italia or at least be able to point me in the right direction?

Any tips much appreciated.

Lucky

I have some DVDs that I have slowly been trying to copy and give away from events that are no longer for sale or available. Unfortunately my life has been too busy of late with family, work, to keep up with that. Regarding your request:

I don't have the 80, 81 or 82 Tours. I only know of some French language versions of not very high quality. Bad duplicates.

I have the 1992 Giro somewhere. I don't know if the others exist in English. There is some raw footage to be found online from 1988, but not much. Check You Tube for Italian and Spanish spelled titles and keywords. Recall that there were no video cameras on the fateful Stelvio climb that year. Only at the start leading to the Stelvio when the snow started (the famous shot of Hampsten in the ciclomino jersey getting snowed on), then the last 2km to the finish. Only still photos exist otherwise.

I know (via e-mail) someone who owns the 2001 Vuelta, but he hasn't made me a copy yet.

No help on the other Marco races.

TRENDING THREADS