• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling Fans have to unite to fight doping

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
We are "consumers" and we get cheated and fooled over and over again. If we unite we have power to change things. What needs to happen is this:

* We start "Cycling fans against doping" Org and web-page
* We try to get 100 000 fans to sign up
* We then can release statements and will be heard
* We can put pressure on sponsors of guys like Valverde, Sanchez, Indurain and many others who still live culture of Omerta.
* Much like Greenpeace we can have an Activist group on races doing protests and single out riders who support Omerta (TV coverage)
* We have a register of pro riders that can sign a statement that they ride clean on the web-page
* And we have a black list of riders, doctors, DS, Teams
* We support sponsors that support clean riding
* I am sure there is much more

Who is in? Ideas? Comments?

The problems begin at the IOC. Work on them first.

How about WADA assumes control of all anti-doping processing for Olympic sports like cycling or the sport gets their funding pulled? I'd sign-on for that. It would be fun to poke the IOC bear. The way they pay people off, I could make a few bob.

Get the UCI's rules re-written through member federations so WADA assumes all doping authority? As dictator for life, I don't think Hein would let that happen.

Still, I think Pat and Hein are selling races through selective enforcement of the rules.

Go for the money. Cycling is too small a sport for much of anything else.

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
@mutschi
Such energy should better be spent for a serious mission. The world is full of unsolved problems, cycling’s misery being one of the less important.

Forums like this and blogs and social media are serving the purpose already: giving the concerned public a voice.

If you want to hit the wrongdoers harder, you need the knowledge to unleash something like Anonymous is doing frequently (must be a relief to uncover documents, that confirm, what we are just predicting). But that won’t hurt the money power. And if being a nuisance is enough …

The best is still to ignore products and programs. Don’t be the cash-cow! So, instead of trying to threat the UCI, try to educate the public. And I think, that’s exactly what is happening through cycling-related media across the interwebz.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
to begin at the beginning...

The following companies are the major sponsors of the UCI

TACX
SKODA
SANTINI
SHIMANO
TISSOT
MAPEI

You may wish to inform these people of how much it troubles you that their brand can be associated with a sport run by the current administrative team under McQuaid; that the sport has become a laughing stock, and that you would ask them to urgently inform the UCI that their current behaviour is reflecting very badly on their sponsors

Lesson One : follow the money
Lesson Two : Strike at the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
mutschi said:
We are "consumers" and we get cheated and fooled over and over again. If we unite we have power to change things. What needs to happen is this:

* We can put pressure on sponsors of guys like Valverde, Sanchez, Indurain and many others who still live culture of Omerta.
* Much like Greenpeace we can have an Activist group on races doing protests and single out riders who support Omerta (TV coverage)
* We have a register of pro riders that can sign a statement that they ride clean on the web-page

You can start by getting all the followers to start asking questions to teams on their facebook and twitter pages. And to the riders themselves to ask their bosses to explain.

For example - start twittering/facebooking Boonen if hes so sure doping is in the past then why is Dr Jose still part of OPQS's set up. If the team and rider websites/twitter constantly get bombarded with questions about guys like this, maybe then they will do the right thing and clean out the old guard. If that still doesn't budge them, start hammering Specialized. US bike company's might be a little keen to ensure they're squeaky clean given recent events!!!

martinvickers said:
The following companies are the major sponsors of the UCI

TACX
SKODA
SANTINI
SHIMANO
TISSOT
MAPEI

You may wish to inform these people of how much it troubles you that their brand can be associated with a sport run by the current administrative team under McQuaid; that the sport has become a laughing stock, and that you would ask them to urgently inform the UCI that their current behaviour is reflecting very badly on their sponsors

Lesson One : follow the money
Lesson Two : Strike at the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

This is so true. That's why it is such a worry for me that we see more and more national sponsors or, even worse, private funders.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
How about this for a start. http://www.repaircycling.org

Fans definitely need to act together to make a difference, that's why we've launched the site in 6 languages. At the moment, angry fans are isolated from each other by language barriers. That plays right into the hands of anyone who benefits from the current state of cycling.

We want to overcome the language barrier and get strong support for the petition throughout the "cycling world". Then anyone who wants change can use the petition to prove strength in numbers. Club riders can use the petition as support within their clubs and National Feds. Fans can use the petition when communicating with sponsors....We need a way to join the ordinay fans and club riders voices together, that's what we're working on now.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
fat_boy_fat said:
@mutschi
Such energy should better be spent for a serious mission. The world is full of unsolved problems, cycling’s misery being one of the less important.

I think you have a point there. It's just very frustrating times for cycling fans but it is not the end of the world. Thanks for everyone's input but it doesn't look like there are 100 volunteers jumping at it. :)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
mutschi said:

lol. 99% of cycling fans don't give a **** about doping

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
This is actually pretty amusing. Some posters here really need to find a hobby (besides posting in the clinic). Go ride your bike or something. Christ.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
LongSprint said:
Isn't this what bikepure.org is for?

If wearing a bracelet is your form of a solution then you have a long wait for any change in cycling. The possible solutions do not include a bracelet or a sticker.

As for what to do, well most of my suggestions would get me banned if I posted them so you know they'd work.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
mutschi said:

there already was BikePure. And how many riders were wearing their wristbands as shields. Cos I know most of those riders signed up also do, what cyclists do.

1. and 1 only. Speak the truth. So you dispel misinformation, disabuse the naive gullible in July fan, call the voices in cycling on blatant lies.

Do that, done your job.

TRENDING THREADS