• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling gadgets

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Ban all the electronics (HRM, Power, Cadence, GPS, Radios)?

• I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Christophe said:
How does Wiggins know Nibs is going to crack? He still has to ride judging by his own exertion level, not some number that, while statistically relevant, doesn't necessarily apply in the moment, as you pointed out above.
Voilà monsieur,

"When we were riding on the front at 450 watts (of power) or whatever, someone would attack and Mick Rogers would say 'just leave him, he can’t sustain it'." Wiggins said.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/news/evans-hoping-skys-not-the-limit_231502

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:
"When we were riding on the front at 450 watts (of power) or whatever, someone would attack and Mick Rogers would say 'just leave him, he can’t sustain it'." Wiggins said.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/news/evans-hoping-skys-not-the-limit_231502

Yeah, as it turns out, if you (and your expensive teammates) can turn out 450 watts for an appreciable period of time, you're going to win some races. The power meter doesn't make that happen in the moment, any more than a speedometer makes you go faster. They're riding within their perceived limits, working together against a lone attacker.

The attacker, meanwhile, is thinking 'I churned out 470watts for 20 minutes last month in training, let's do it again!' as he rides off solo, probably watching his power meter a bunch more than the guys in the group are.

Riders are still gambling based on perceived exertion, power meters or no.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Race radio should certainly go. Dunno about the rest. I've never used a power meter - if they make it easier to measure your effort then get rid of them, if not, then don't. Although, if they don't make it easier, why use them?

Oh yeah and no tri bikes for TTs.

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Get rid of all of it! No race radio, no power meters, no speedo/cadence/hr, no team car even.:eek: Can you imagine how much fun it would be if the peloton did not know how far up the road the break was?? GC guy flats with no team car.... one of the team members will have to sacrifice his wheel.... Maybe the lightest 350 tpi tyre won't be the first choice. I think racing would be way more exiting from a spectators perspective.:)