• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling Global Promotion

So the UCI has formalized its scheme to profit from pro cycling by setting up a separate legal entity. Surely there will not be any self dealing like giving World Tour status to the races it promotes. :rolleyes:

"The debut Chinese race marks the first time the UCI will be organizing an elite men’s professional bike race under its new commercial arm, Cycling Global Promotion."

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...nds-ucis-role-as-tour-of-beijing-looms_194062

I wonder if the UCI owns Cycling Global Promotion completely or if Verbruggen and his cronies have a personal stake. McQuaid's words imply that the company could seek profits from activities other than race promotion.

If the teams had any balls then they would demand a share of the profits.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Not only profits but improved health/insurace/retiement for the riders. They never speak of improving the riders benefits, only promoting the name of cycling.

I bet the UCI needs money for a few legal issues.

BroDeal said:
So the UCI has formalized its scheme to profit from pro cycling by setting up a separate legal entity. Surely there will not be any self dealing like giving World Tour status to the races it promotes. :rolleyes:

"The debut Chinese race marks the first time the UCI will be organizing an elite men’s professional bike race under its new commercial arm, Cycling Global Promotion."

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...nds-ucis-role-as-tour-of-beijing-looms_194062

I wonder if the UCI owns Cycling Global Promotion completely or if Verbruggen and his cronies have a personal stake. McQuaid's words imply that the company could seek profits from activities other than race promotion.

I would rephrase your conclusion to read: "If the teams had any financial stability they would demand a share of the profits."

MarkvW said:
I would rephrase your conclusion to read: "If the teams had any financial stability they would demand a share of the profits."

If the teams wanted financial stability then they would demand a share of the profits.

JV is always prattling on about business models and such. You would think that the Beijing race would be the perfect opportunity to get their foot in the door. They already used the threat of a boycott to force the UCI to suspend the radio ban, so why not ask for money instead of making fools of themselves by whinging about radio safety. Today the UCI, tomorrow the ASO.

A little more information

http://cyclismas.com/2011/09/is-gcp-the-smoking-corruption-gun/

"€445,000 of the ProTour Reserve Fund were used by GCP in 2010. 177,000 CHF the year before."

Half a million Euro and the Teams who fund the ProTour Reserve Fund have nothing to say about it? The UCI got them another job in China. JV's organization will say nothing because the teams are getting paid to ride in China. There's your 'share of the profits.' Never enough to empower the teams though. The UCI is a Company Town economy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_town

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
BroDeal said:
If the teams wanted financial stability then they would demand a share of the profits.

JV is always prattling on about business models and such. You would think that the Beijing race would be the perfect opportunity to get their foot in the door. They already used the threat of a boycott to force the UCI to suspend the radio ban, so why not ask for money instead of making fools of themselves by whinging about radio safety. Today the UCI, tomorrow the ASO.

I always strike a nerve with that guy on Twitter. Festinagirl R/T and he immediately responds. If the guy isn't going to come clean, he should just be quiet instead of defending "Heino.":eek:

May 14, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:

And where Verbruggen wheezes, can Armstrong and his cronies be far behind? I wonder if they have a piece of this?

ElChingon said:
Not only profits but improved health/insurace/retiement for the riders. They never speak of improving the riders benefits, only promoting the name of cycling.

I bet the UCI needs money for a few legal issues.

Not a share of the profits but all the profits. And health/insurance/retirement for the riders.

I really hope this Armstrong prosecution happens soon. That's a case that could deal a fatal blow to the UCI. Lord knows it's in need of a fatal blow. It might also present favorable conditions for the riders to organize themselves.

A

Anonymous

The boss of it is Alain Rumpf who was in charge of the Pro tour from about 2004/5

its mission is amusing

" to develop sustainable cycling products and events in new and existing markets, and promote and protect cycling globally, for the good of the sport."

of course, its a lot easier to develop cycling products when you have the governing body who hand out the ranking points.

TRENDING THREADS