• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling is the new Golf??

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
Dear All

DISC - Live in New Zealand, born and raised in England.
I was watching a current affairs programme last week. It was about the risks of cycling on the road. During the piece the host said "cycling is the new golf". Mainly making reference to New Zealand [I think] at the time because in the last couple of years the popularity of cycling has gone through the roof!!
I play golf [2 handicap] and recently got back into cycling for fitness as well as some good mates doing it. So I guess I've jumped on the bandwagon.
I would go for rides on the weekend and the amount of people [recreational & serious] we see cycling, is incredible!!!!
Are you noticing this huge growth in other parts of the world?? I would also appreciate people thoughts on why it has become so popular [as a recreational/sporty activity].
IS CYCLING THE NEW GOLF?????

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Its certainly become a "go to" sport for those types of middle to high income earners that like to buy their way to their idea of prestige and respect rather than practising / training their way to high skill and fitness.

Everyone used to talk about buying the latest driver or latest training method.

Now it seems to be the most exclusive (read "expensive") carbon frame or power meter.

iwannabeabiker said:
Dear All

DISC - Live in New Zealand, born and raised in England.
I was watching a current affairs programme last week. It was about the risks of cycling on the road. During the piece the host said "cycling is the new golf". Mainly making reference to New Zealand [I think] at the time because in the last couple of years the popularity of cycling has gone through the roof!!
I play golf [2 handicap] and recently got back into cycling for fitness as well as some good mates doing it. So I guess I've jumped on the bandwagon.
I would go for rides on the weekend and the amount of people [recreational & serious] we see cycling, is incredible!!!!
Are you noticing this huge growth in other parts of the world?? I would also appreciate people thoughts on why it has become so popular [as a recreational/sporty activity].
IS CYCLING THE NEW GOLF?????

It certainly is in the sense of over-awe with gadgets and gizmos with the belief that is ya get a bicycle like Lance(clubs like Tiger) you will automatically ride(play) better.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Q:
Can cycling aspire to be the "new" golf?
A:
Well, it can dream, anyway.

Golf has a moral and ethical code; cycling is devoid of that, and completely devoid of fair competition. Team and peloton skullduggery, warped interpersonal dynamics, and rampant doping make cycling the poster model for "sport gone bad".

Golf follows a strict honor code that places the burden of following the rules on the player. Players are expected to call penalties on themselves. Show me a cyclist who self confesses to doping, and i'll show you... well, I guess it would be David Millar. Golfers are required to show courtesy to their opponents and act in ways that best allow their opponents to maximize their own opportunities to play well. For every team player in the peloton, I'll show you an equal number of divos (that's the gender inclusive for divas) out to make themselves, and only themselves look good.

Golf originated in Scotland and was originally played by shepherds and artisans – not the elite. Worldwide, most golfers play at public golf courses. Golf is not played with age or gender restrictions. Golf provides an education on how to get along with people and conduct disagreements in a civil, reasoned manner. Because angry, distracted golfers tend to hit poorly, golf forces civility. I've yet to meet a golfer I cannot respect. However, I know plenty of assholes who call themselves cyclists.

I'm now a 4 handicap recreational tournament golfer who participates in pro-am events. I'm also a retired competitive cyclist who now does recreational and charity rides.

I'm not saying there aren't honorable cyclists. I'm sure they exist somewhere - just not in my competitive experience. Cycling is corrupt and abusive.

A little kid riding a bike, with a dream of some day becoming a professional cyclist, has no idea what he (or she) is in for. Not even in the wildest of dreams.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
tifosa said:
Q:
A:

Golf has a moral and ethical code; cycling is devoid of that, and completely devoid of fair competition. Team and peloton skullduggery, warped interpersonal dynamics, and rampant doping make cycling the poster model for "sport gone bad".

Golf follows a strict honor code that places the burden of following the rules on the player. Players are expected to call penalties on themselves. Show me a cyclist who self confesses to doping, and i'll show you... well, I guess it would be David Millar. Golfers are required to show courtesy to their opponents and act in ways that best allow their opponents to maximize their own opportunities to play well. For every team player in the peloton, I'll show you an equal number of divos (that's the gender inclusive for divas) out to make themselves, and only themselves look good.

Golf originated in Scotland and was originally played by shepherds and artisans – not the elite. Worldwide, most golfers play at public golf courses. Golf is not played with age or gender restrictions. Golf provides an education on how to get along with people and conduct disagreements in a civil, reasoned manner. Because angry, distracted golfers tend to hit poorly, golf forces civility. I've yet to meet a golfer I cannot respect. However, I know plenty of assholes who call themselves cyclists.

I'm now a 4 handicap recreational tournament golfer who participates in pro-am events. I'm also a retired competitive cyclist who now does recreational and charity rides.

I'm not saying there aren't honorable cyclists. I'm sure they exist somewhere - just not in my competitive experience. Cycling is corrupt and abusive.

A little kid riding a bike, with a dream of some day becoming a professional cyclist, has no idea what he (or she) is in for. Not even in the wildest of dreams.

After growing up in country clubs, working at one, living half my life on a golf course, and dating a pro-golfer's daughter (who was also a caddy), I respectfully disagree with everything you said regarding golf's supposed virtue. My experience with golfers is that the majority of them are irritable ego-maniacs that care more about their 18 holes and consuming subsequent beers and cigars than anything else.

However, I real agree with everything you said about cycling. Basically, much of the golfing community and cycling community are one in the same with just as many negative personalities as postive.

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
Originally Posted by tifosa View Post
Q:
A:

After growing up in country clubs, working at one, living half my life on a golf course, and dating a pro-golfer's daughter (who was also a caddy), I respectfully disagree with everything you said regarding golf's supposed virtue. My experience with golfers is that the majority of them are irritable ego-maniacs that care more about their 18 holes and consuming subsequent beers and cigars than anything else.

However, I real agree with everything you said about cycling. Basically, much of the golfing community and cycling community are one in the same with just as many negative personalities as postive.

Thanks Tifosa & ImmaculateKadence. Interesting responses. I read Tifosa's response first and found myself agreeing wholeheartedly with his comments. Then reading IK's response it gave a balance between the 2 codes. I think each code has it's a-holes etc. I guess I'm looking at cycling from a more recreational/fitness aspect and to date [6 months of riding] I haven't come across all that skullduggery that "apparently" happens on the pro circuit.

That's why I asked, why people thought cycling has become so popular. If you look at golf, Tiger certainly has assisted this sport becoming even more popular but with the exception of Armstrong [so people would debate it] I can't think of a modern day professional cyclist who would be able to generate such a desire to take up cycling.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
I might contemplate taking up golf when I'm too decrepit to ride - so another 36 years of cycling at least - can you play golf at 80? Golf has never appealled - I was raised in Scotland and had plenty of chances to try it, but didn't quite see the point -but courses were good for sledging and skiing in winter! I've certainly noticed an increase in cyclists on the road - but I predict that plenty will fall by the wayside as they realise you can't buy your way to fitness.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
For years, many business deals have been arranged during rounds of golf. Since more and more middle-agers are cycling, business deals are being arranged on group rides.

As for the poster who bashed cycling for it's faults, I have a retort:

Golf courses suck down tremendous amounts of water for their irrigation needs, spread tons of fertilizer and pesticide (environmental pollutants) on their fairways and greens each year, limit access to those affluent enough to afford club membership or greens fees, encurage the use of little cars so that players don't have to exercise, and many country clubs are closed to minorities.

Every activity has pros and cons.

BTW, very few recreational or 'business class' cyclists dope or cheat.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
iwannabeabiker said:
Thanks Tifosa & ImmaculateKadence. Interesting responses. I read Tifosa's response first and found myself agreeing wholeheartedly with his comments. Then reading IK's response it gave a balance between the 2 codes. I think each code has it's a-holes etc. I guess I'm looking at cycling from a more recreational/fitness aspect and to date [6 months of riding] I haven't come across all that skullduggery that "apparently" happens on the pro circuit.

That's why I asked, why people thought cycling has become so popular. If you look at golf, Tiger certainly has assisted this sport becoming even more popular but with the exception of Armstrong [so people would debate it] I can't think of a modern day professional cyclist who would be able to generate such a desire to take up cycling.

That skullduggery exists in all sports; it's not just cycling. What I have noticed is that the more one harps on it the more likely they are to participate in it.

As for why cycling is becoming so popular, I can't really say. I'm sure Lance has somthing to do with it, but there's more to it than him. I think it has much to do with the fact that it can be anything you want it to be. It can be fast and aggressive or slow and relaxed; you can push your max while doing intervals or just pedal away from the house to work off some extra calories. You can ride with a team or solo, and all you need is the bike and a surface to ride it on. Really there is something for everyone.

Many people hate to face it, but the cyclist that generates that desire is Lance, at least in the states. I can't speak for abroad. I have spent time in Italy and Germany, but that was prior to my cycling days, so I'm unsure of the consensus outside the US. If the sports media in the US would focus more on the sport of cycling rather than Lance, there are many people that could generate excitement: Cavendish immediately comes to mind.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
In general, comparing both professional sports, pro golf and golfers have my respect, and pro cycling and cyclists do not. What I've encountered and currently observe in cycling, are cyclists who have made the sport dirty by abuse of drugs and rules, and cycling officials who don't care how the sport conducts itself - as long as they get paid.

I've not encountered this in golf in the last 25 years, and my eyes are wide open. There are *** personalities who play golf; occasionally, I'm one of them. But golf itself is the game - not cheating, not doping, not officials on the take. Golf requires self discipline and skill. Professional cycling used to. It's that so many cyclists, for so many years have used doping to manipulate their abilities, that the doping has become the sport. And the officials could give f*ck all. And that's very sad.

Professionally speaking, golf still has respect for the game. If golf goes the way of cycling, if doping in golf become the "new" golf, I'll still play - much like I still ride. And if that happens, professional golf and golfers will lose my respect.

What's baffling to me is: how can one compete fairly in anything when one has no self respect?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Golfink?

I don't want a perspective from anyone that has time to cycle and golf. Both sports have enough dilletantes in loud clothes.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Best response. EVER.

I'm still laughing. I'll try to tone down the attitude and the clothes. Although I'm not a "Loudmouth" golf clothing tifosa.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
One word...

TECHNOLOGY.

Equipment has been getting better recently-- especially in cycling. 12 years ago, I was a golf teaching professional. Golf clubs were getting better daily. Now golf clubs are getting stupid. I mean come on, adjusting weights to achieve draws and fades and even changing out the face of sand wedges, come on! Talk about performance enhancement and not skill...
Cycling has dramatically improved its technology and its attractiveness. Now, we can all geek and zone out on our power readings and the clothing is not only fashion conscious (if you are into that) but fully functioning sweat-wicking machines.
Golf is not without its dopers either. A lot of players, mainly those on the senior tour use, or at least used, beta blockers. They steady the hands on those 3 foot downhill snake putts to "halve the hole."
These are my two passions and yes, cycling takes the cake!

TRENDING THREADS