• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling on USA TVs, desktops, laptops, and handheld devices

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
  • Angry
Reactions: Sandisfan
Although it hasn't been determined yet, experts estimate the cost will be in the $40 - $50 a month range.

That is insane. They will probably remove those channels from streaming services like Roku/Sling TV and make you pay if you want to watch sports in the US.

I’m not opposed to the combining of channels and rights to different sports into one app, I am curious though if these companies will be able to pool their money together to bid on sports because this could become a power house app. One thing I notice here and elsewhere, like the soccer blogs is that people don’t like this because it may cost too much money monthly or yearly along with having a lot of sports they don’t want to watch. But we can’t generally have it all, they have to pay money for the creation of the app and to have sports and they can’t really give to us for a little of nothing. But I personally enjoy the fact that a lot of things will be on one place. More organized and not owning a lot of different apps to just watch something. But only my two cents.

I’m not opposed to the combining of channels and rights to different sports into one app, I am curious though if these companies will be able to pool their money together to bid on sports because this could become a power house app. One thing I notice here and elsewhere, like the soccer blogs is that people don’t like this because it may cost too much money monthly or yearly along with having a lot of sports they don’t want to watch. But we can’t generally have it all, they have to pay money for the creation of the app and to have sports and they can’t really give to us for a little of nothing. But I personally enjoy the fact that a lot of things will be on one place. More organized and not owning a lot of different apps to just watch something. But only my two cents.

yeah i kinda see it as a good thing too. yes it will be more expensive, but a cycling-only app exclusive to the US would not make money and thus it would not survive for very long. we had cycling.tv and they closed because it wasn't profitable. i would rather have the option of spending $40/month for cycling bundled with a bunch of other crap than no way to watch it at all. that's just the sad facts of the situation. the reason GCN+ was in such a good spot was because they were kept afloat mostly by European subscriptions, it barely cost them anything to also make races available to the US. it was like bonus money for them and it kept the price nice and cheap. unfortunately corporate interests ruined it for everyone, but what would capitalism be if it didn't continually make everything worse little by little.

I don’t agree but it’s just different perspectives I. Having cycling in the big broadcaster bundle (if that ends up with the only US rights to certain races) will cost more $ than now because you will have to pay for that expensive bundled service and then still pay for one of the other services (Flobikes or whomever) that holds the US rights to a different set of bikes races. I was also speaking about changes in the US sports landscape more broadly than just cycling. I’ve watched the NFL and college football forever on the broadcast networks with the only additional cost being the $16 I spent on rabbit ears 20 years ago. Many of those games will get sucked into subscription streaming services as well (in fact already happened with Amazon and Peacock this last season).

I have TV access to everything on the New ESPN+ sports except cycling. So I'll be getting to pay for duplicate coverage of 90% of the content.
Same with Max I'm paying for shows I have on TV. There are some original shows and movies. But nothing I've felt any desire to watch.
At least MAX is going to give me cycling. I'll start at Murcia for real. Will take a peek at the ladies just to see what I'm going to be getting :D

I haven't yet searched for Oman.

Here's the rest of Feb on Max

Road cycling menFeb. 14-18Tour of Andalusia
Road cycling menFeb. 15-19Volta Algarve
Road cycling menFeb. 17-18Tour des Alpes Maritimes et du Var
Road cycling menFeb. 19-25UAE Tour
Road cycling menFeb. 23-26Vuelta a Galicia
Road cycling menFeb. 25Faun Ardèche Classic
Road cycling menFeb. 26Faun Drôme Classic
Road cycling menFeb. 26Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne

Reactions: Carols
Flobikes (Canada) carried UAE Tour women, an RCS property. I am taking this as a good sign that they will be picking up, or have picked up, the Canadian rights for the others, like Strade and the Giro. Honestly, if that's the case, I can have no complaints with Flo as a service, aside from the price, which only feels steep in comparison with how ridiculously cheap GCN+ (plus VPN) was.

Perhaps this is the wrong thread for this observation.