• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling.TV---don't use them.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
ok i have to concur , a few years back when they were just starting out i had to threaten them in order to get a refund for service they failed miserably to deliver , .........i would never deal with them again

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
As I have mentioned before, I work in broadcasting, and this topic comes up weekly and is constantly debated. How and what to stream. How and what to release. What to post to our site. What to piggyback on something like Brighcove or Vimeo. What to try to stop that's posted elsewhere, etc. Then there is constant changing in the sales department, what they can sell, how to sell it.

But this issue is bigger than a local CBS affiliate. Or the CBS "mothership" as we call it. And the fact is what's happening before our eyes is this:

So this lumbering giant of broadcasting is trying to move, they know this, and saw what happened to the RIAA, and know it will fairly soon be where everything on your TV or Computer is available, up to you. But it's a very painful adaption.

None of this of course excuses CyclingTV. I had no idea of some of these stories. These guys give webcasting a bad name.

As an aside, NeuLion purchased the rights to USL Soccer in North America from TBS/Play On. In 2008 they charged something like $30 for an season pass to watch all matches on line. In 2009, they charged...$0. It was free. All you had to do was register, and sit through some ads. This isn't the future, this is the present.

For a glimpse into the not too distant future, I'm hoping the Amgen ToC will improve again in 2010. Their webcast of last year's even was excellent (sans some stage 1 glitches). Good quality, steady stream, plenty of extras.

Not sure if there will be a ToC webcast next year. Was talking to a friend that works on it and he said they make cut it due to budget.

the thing about cycling tv that has people coming back like they're addicted to some sort of substance is the fact that they have their races on demand. I can't always be up at 7am CST to watch a live stream of a race, and I'd rather pay some money to watch it with some friends the next day at 3pm or something.

Does anyone know where to get on-demand cycling coverage? I've had great success finding live feeds, but never really any on-demand except for brief highlights.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Wow. Not one satisfied customer of cycling.tv. Not even one.

Thanks for the warning!

Reminds me of the sentencing hearing for Bernie Madoff, when not a single person showed up to testify to his character for reduced sentence. Not even his family.....

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
when they were in the UK before they were sold, they rectified an issue I had. I had subscribed twice, partly it was my fault, I got the wrong package.

But they returned the money, and I got the coverage. I was happy with value for money if you consider fees like PPV boxing or a movie ticket.

I think they do get screwed with the copyright dumping on the net for free pirate feeds.

Now, I do vitriol with the best of them, and do feel the merit and anger in complaints, but just sayin', when I was on Ctv at UK hq/ownership, it worked well and I was content.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Reminds me of the sentencing hearing for Bernie Madoff, when not a single person showed up to testify to his character for reduced sentence. Not even his family.....
well, I am happy. I appreciate that the business model means they need to get a big return on the customer, who has mostly been conditioned to expect such sport media, free. Ofcourse cable has been popular in the last decade after taking a while to follow the US long lead.

I appreciate a cable subscription will be cheaper and better value, but I see this like pay-per-view boxing.

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
cycling.tv - do not waste your money

I am paid up until mid 2010 but cannot access my account to watch any cyclocross - they have ignored emails requesting help with this and so feel that I have completely wasted my subscription. Do not bother with them.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
mannch said:
I am paid up until mid 2010 but cannot access my account to watch any cyclocross - they have ignored emails requesting help with this and so feel that I have completely wasted my subscription. Do not bother with them.

CTV is a fraud. Make sure they won't steal more of your money.

A

Anonymous

The sad thing is that Brian Smith and Magnus B. are somehow tied up in them...unknowingly I think as mere commentators...but CTV are simply a bunch of damn crooks...just don't EVER give them your paypal or credit card numbers...you will rue the friggin day...crooks one and all...

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I was desperate for coverage:

Hello.

This is to notify the owners of cycling.tv that you are in violation of our subscription agreement to provide content.

I have paid the subscription fee and was unable to view the Cyclocross Worlds live. And, cycling.tv has provided no other content since then apart from a ridiculous production about the Barloworld team.

Meanwhile, there are several major pro races ongoing, and cycling.tv is providing coverage of none of them.

Be advised that, if you do not provide content in a timely manner, you will be in violation of our subscription agreement and you will be forced to return the subscription fee.

Thank you

XXX

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
they are a scam

They are worse than a scam...they are scum!
I subscribed 3 or 4 years ago and got infected by so many viruses from their site it was disgusting. My work pc also got infected and I damn near lost my job over it. At that time you HAD to allow popups to use the site and they were directly traceable to the infections. THEY of course, denied everything. What bunch of S**ts they are!
So sad because it was a great idea.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Back when I was a Lance fan (God help me) and he was just starting to race again, I communicated with Cycling TV as toi whether I'd be able to watch something - I believe it was TDU, live online in America. The guy assured me that I could, so I signed up. They failed, so I raised holy Hell, started flaming them on Twitter back when I had 800 cycling fan followers (BloggingLance). They told me to e-mail someone and they'd cancel my membership and give me a refund.

At this time last year, I was looking for something on my debit card account, and saw a $99 charge I hadn't noticed the in January 2010, to a company I never heard of. I did some checking, and found out it was Cycling TV, charging me a year after I'd sent them packing. The guy who answered my e-mail said it was because I'd signed up for auto renewal.

I'd kind of thought that when I made them cancel 2009 two days into the season, they'd realize it was a divorce and not a separation. I got my money back, but they almost got away with $99 of my money without me even knowing I could watch races there.

A

Anonymous

We will be testing out the cancellation process in 2 months. Will update our review then.

It was only yesterday that I went there for the first time in a long while. I only ended up there by accident clicking on the wrong link at Steephill. It looks like they have come to terms a bit more with their limitations... no promising every major race only for them to fail, or for lots of people in certain countries to be blocked out. No 5 different packages, now it's just one for either 3 or 12months.

But it seems they have all the televised Belgian classics going. Given the stream problems, I was considering signing up just for 4-5 races which I may not have been able to see otherwise. As it turned out, I wasn't around to watch last night's race anyway, but if I was and there were no streams I probably would have signed up.

But there are still things to watch out for. E3 for example, they don't have live video, just live commentary and highlights.

It's also a joke if they are still "subscribing" credit cards with a recurring payment. It should just be a once off, and if I want to extend things once that expires I will.

Edit: Read your review, which picked up on the E3 issue too. Still seems like it's a bit too unprofessional/unorganized/an attempt to con you into thinking they have coverage of certain races. Looks like I will be staying away, on principle more than anything else.

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
i first found them a loooong time ago via a link on itsmillartime.com (remember that?!) and thought they were onto a great thing. but times have changed and it's hard to see how they can survive given all of the cycling footage you can find for free via cyclingfans.com

A

Anonymous

overgeared said:
i first found them a loooong time ago via a link on itsmillartime.com (remember that?!) and thought they were onto a great thing. but times have changed and it's hard to see how they can survive given all of the cycling footage you can find for free via cyclingfans.com

agreed, pretty much what we said in our review.

Although i find both steephill and procyclinglive a million times better than cyclingfans. Their interface is awful and they do leave putting links up till the last minute.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
agreed, pretty much what we said in our review.

Although i find both steephill and procyclinglive a million times better than cyclingfans. Their interface is awful and they do leave putting links up till the last minute.

About your review could you perhaps change E3 Prisj to E3 Prijs, every time you mention the race you use Prisj which is not even a Dutch word :p

A

Anonymous

Barrus said:
About your review could you perhaps change E3 Prisj to E3 Prijs, every time you mention the race you use Prisj which is not even a Dutch word :p

done. I hate the spring, prijs omloops and dwars door's do my nut in.

And no spellchecker comes close to being suitable for cycling websites.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Cycling.tv is garbage. I got ripped off by them a couple of years ago (with the help of my overly passive credit card, which I subsequently closed too)
With sites like Steephill.tv and cyclingfans.com, not to mention Versus and Universal, on TV, too. No one should be wasting any time diddling with that Booolsheet site. If you do, you do so at your own peril. Be forewarned.

A

Anonymous

We have updated our review with new information
http://www.teamskyfans.com/blog/?p=318

In the original review we said that they were being unintentionally misleading. Having now found what the actual schedules are (just four live video races after today) we conclude that they are intentionally misleading.

Cancelling

We emailed to cancel our account today, and received confirmation from their customer services confirming cancellation of our subscription, and refunding our subscription in full. So that part of the service is spot on. We did say in our cancellation that it was because we subscribed thinking we would get x amount of live races, when in fact they were only showing 4 more races this season.

TRENDING THREADS