• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclingnews Build a Bike Thread - Week 2: Groupset

Which Groupset for the $6000 USD Bike (Remember we still need other stuff)

• SRAM Rival - $712.51

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OK, so we have a frame: a nice Look 595 for $2554 (lets just call it $2550, to make it easier) which leaves $3450 left for a groupset, wheelset and other bits and bobs ie. comp, saddle(?), lights(?), power meter(?), pedals(?). So now onto the Groupset. There are ten options in the poll and they are:

Chorus - $1244.88
Athena (carbon) - $1188.80
Athena - $912.46
Centaur (carbon) - $999.98
Centaur (alloy) - $785.43
Dura-ace 7800 - $1313
Ultegra 6700 - $1094.95
Ultegra 6600 - $753.62
Sram Rival - $712.51
Sram Force - $988.88

But remember we do have a budget and dont want to blow it all on the gruppo and that is why i have not included Super Rec, Rec, 7900 Dura-ace or SRAM Red as i could not find them with a good enough price that we could get a good wheelset + all the other crap we need....

If anybody wants to know exactly how we are playing this game please read the original post of the original thread:

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=2677

Remember the plan is:
To build an all-round bike that can be used in all froms of racing and riding

So get voting... it is only a 3 day poll (not 5 like on the frameset)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Here is what I found. :D

Super Record 11 build kit - $3285 and up. Here's what you get for $3482 - http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/kit/CCBBAYRG

Groups from Colorado Cyclist - http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/display/15150/
SRAM Red - $2103
SRAM Force - $1402

Probikekit.com (? - looks pretty cheap!) - http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Groupsets
Super Record - $2241.89
Record - $1918.22
Chorus - $1360.08
Athena - $912.46
Dura-ace 7900 - $1648.79
Ultegra 6700 - $1094.95
Ultegra 6600 - $753.62
Sram Force - $1040.22

SRAM Red - $1752.01 - http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Sram Components

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
Here is what I found. :D

Super Record 11 build kit - $3285 and up. Here's what you get for $3482 - http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/kit/CCBBAYRG

Groups from Colorado Cyclist - http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/display/15150/
SRAM Red - $2103
SRAM Force - $1402

Probikekit.com (? - looks pretty cheap!) - http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Groupsets
Super Record - $2241.89
Record - $1918.22
Chorus - $1360.08
Athena - $912.46
Dura-ace 7900 - $1648.79
Ultegra 6700 - $1094.95
Ultegra 6600 - $753.62
Sram Force - $1040.22

SRAM Red - $1752.01 - http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Sram Components

You can get record at Lickbike for $1,700

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
Probikekit.com (? - looks pretty cheap!)

I have had very good luck with ProBikeKit - solid service and fast delivery for me (I had a friend who the delivery took a little longer and we figure it was because they ran out of the Continentals they priced in the $35 dollar range and had to send back to their English Wearhouses for more).

Anyway, decent company and generally beats ColoradoCyclist on their pricing.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Why not SRAM Rival?

If you're throwing Ultegra 6600 in the mix, why not SRAM Rival?

679 USD brand new on Ebay, and apparently a fair bit lighter than Ultegra.

Might leave some extra money for a Powertap hub... :)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
My vote is for the Athena. Just as good as Chorus but more of a classic look
all aluminum instead of all that plastic. Save some money have a nice classic look put the remaining money into the best wheels:D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I have an issue with us speccing top end groups since although we can afford to buy them within budget, could we afford to replace them, in part or in whole? For the money, I would spec SRAM Force. $1050 for a light, performance groupset looks like a bargain to me!

Had a look around on some sites (Probike kit, lickbike, wiggle, etc, etc) and basically i decided to go with the ol adage 'scrap each manufacturers topline groupset + record cos its still too expensive':D and i came out with this:

Chorus - $1244.88
Athena - $912.46
Dura-ace 7800 - $1313
Ultegra 6700 - $1094.95
Ultegra 6600 - $753.62
Sram Rival - $712.51
Sram Force - $988.88

Edit: Found a good price on 7800 Dura-ace so i thought it was wothwhile adding it since it was real close to chorus

Just added a poll with the following options:

Chorus - $1244.88
Athena - $912.46
Dura-ace 7800 - $1313
Ultegra 6700 - $1094.95
Ultegra 6600 - $753.62
Sram Rival - $712.51
Sram Force - $988.88

IT IS ONLY A 3 DAY POLL, SO GET VOTING

Also have updated the original post of this thread (the one we are on right now)

Just remember we do need a significant amount of cash left over! and

Remember the plan is:
To build an all-round bike that can be used in all froms of racing and riding

If anybody wants to know exactly how we are playing this game please read the original post of the original thread:

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=2677

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
+1

Go for the wheels and mid to low range group set :)

+2 wheels make the ride, no bad groups they will all do a great job
It would be nice to get some handbuilt wheels since this is an all around bike training on carbon wheels could be expensive...
if we go low range might be able to get two sets of wheels

runninboy said:
It would be nice to get some handbuilt wheels since this is an all around bike training on carbon wheels could be expensive...
if we go low range might be able to get two sets of wheels

So far i havent really thought much about wheelset, + i dont really know much about them, the wheelset that came standard on my bike have and still serve me well and will for a good while longer. Im not sure what we'll do, but we can discuss it in a few day when the thread rolls round. Other things that come to mind are tub v clinch, should we get deep dish? etc.

I guess it all depends on budget. Also i might be in one of the other threads but someone suggested getting a powertap. That would probably go real nicely with a garmin 705 and some nice look keos and a fizik arione so if you guys wanted to do something like that we would still need a wad of cash left even after the wheelset.

I guess we'll sort it out when we get to it.....

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
gruppo

I see I'm the only vote for el cheapo Ultegra: I like Ultegra's performance and appearance, and I really liked the price. Mostly, I was thinking durability. We're gonna joy ride, train, and race on this puppy, right? Then it has to last, how long, a few seasons at least.
Plus, we still have to buy one or two sets of wheels, and the wheel set has to be good stuff: Light and strong don't come cheap, though I just found a DuraAce last season wheel set for $600.00!

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
It's possible that we've already overspent on the frame, let alone the group.

If you want carbon wheels with a powertap and a Garmin 705, that'll probably take most of the remaining budget - and we're still short a set of training wheels with a powertap (which is probably where it's most important).

Maybe a set of fairly basic training wheels with powertap, and some low-end carbon wheels without? We might scrape that into the budget, but even so it's not going to leave much for bars, seatpost, saddle, and pedals.

rgmerk said:
It's possible that we've already overspent on the frame, let alone the group.

If you want carbon wheels with a powertap and a Garmin 705, that'll probably take most of the remaining budget - and we're still short a set of training wheels with a powertap (which is probably where it's most important).

Maybe a set of fairly basic training wheels with powertap, and some low-end carbon wheels without? We might scrape that into the budget, but even so it's not going to leave much for bars, seatpost, saddle, and pedals.

I know what you mean. I was thinking about it a bit earlier and realised we are gonna be just a bit short:rolleyes: <--sarcasm there. But i guess that is the idea of the game, if it ain't gonna work one way we'll have to find another. Make the best of what we have type of thing. In the previous post i made i was just stating the obvious ie. we would need a huge wad of cash left over to get that sort of stuff, but we'll find another way round eg. drop the tap maybe. But we'll have a discussion on it later.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
I know what you mean. I was thinking about it a bit earlier and realised we are gonna be just a bit short:rolleyes: <--sarcasm there. But i guess that is the idea of the game, if it ain't gonna work one way we'll have to find another. Make the best of what we have type of thing. In the previous post i made i was just stating the obvious ie. we would need a huge wad of cash left over to get that sort of stuff, but we'll find another way round eg. drop the tap maybe. But we'll have a discussion on it later.

So, we have a frame and groupset. I think that we're at $3,550 out of our $6,000 budget. Wheels next?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
So, we have a frame and groupset. I think that we're at $3,550 out of our $6,000 budget. Wheels next?

Like the group choice. SRAM seems to be really kicking some **** on the price/performance ratio.

Are we doing clincher or tubular rims? If clincher, I'd like to nominate the hed ardennes (sub 1400g clinchers).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Like the group choice. SRAM seems to be really kicking some **** on the price/performance ratio.

Are we doing clincher or tubular rims? If clincher, I'd like to nominate the hed ardennes (sub 1400g clinchers).

+1 took the words out of my mouth. since this is an all rounder, my vote is for clinchers and i think that the ardennes look great vfm at $1050. alternatively, we could get a great set of light handbuilts.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Two wheelsets

If we're going to be racing over flattish territory, I think we should at least include some kind of carbon wheel as a poll option.

Clinchers or tubulars I'm not sure on.

There's also the question of rim depth.

But just as a for-instance, there's something like the HED Jet 4 C2 at $1500.

You'd also need a cheap training wheelset for maybe $200.

TRENDING THREADS