• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclingnews - Part of the Problem

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
Just saw the news story about Cyclingnews' evening with Phil 'Voice of Cycling' Liggett.

'Voice of Cycling'? More like 'Craven Mouthpiece of Armstrong'. Anyone who's seen his performance when quizzed on Landis' allegations might have thought they were watching Grima Wormtongue from The Lord of the Rings.

Why would Cyclingnews associate themselves with someone like that.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
badboygolf16v said:
Just saw the news story about Cyclingnews' evening with Phil 'Voice of Cycling' Liggett.

'Voice of Cycling'? More like 'Craven Mouthpiece of Armstrong'. Anyone who's seen his performance when quizzed on Landis' allegations might have thought they were watching Grima Wormtongue from The Lord of the Rings.

There are advertising dollars subsidizing this forum; some going to LA. It gives us a subject to discuss and a place to do it. That's why.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
badboygolf16v said:

The real question is, why would someone who so totally disagrees with the decision of the people who run this site, waste their time posting on said site.

Your best tactical decision is to completely avoid any site you disagree with and deny them your esteemed presence and the advertising dollar that goes with your readership.

It really is quite simple.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Give him a break

Badboy is posting here because it's not like he can talk about this many other places, where he can get good conversation with people who actually know ANYTHING about cycling.

No matter what his opinion, he's just looking for some simple conversation. Just like you tell him to stay off the site, well how about you don't respond to his question/remark.

Some of these guys are just wound up waaaay too tight. Geez.

PS, I can't stand Phil and his manlove for the Doper either.

A

Anonymous

Oldman said:
There are advertising dollars subsidizing this forum; some going to LA. It gives us a subject to discuss and a place to do it. That's why.

what adverts?

A

Anonymous

Ferminal said:
I don't block ads on trusty websites out of principle.

However, I could take a moral stand against Lance's daily checklist or whatever that stupid ad is.

i remove all the shack and lance ones.. my browser is clever, it can just remove the ones you click on... i tend to take the header cn banner off as well, it only takes up space.. And there was one CN ad that had audio on it that was really annoying,

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
i remove all the shack and lance ones.. my browser is clever, it can just remove the ones you click on... i tend to take the header cn banner off as well, it only takes up space.. And there was one CN ad that had audio on it that was really annoying,

Ah...now I know why you asked what Ads? I'm going to have to check on mine and see if my browser clears up that constant gag reflex I'm stifling.

A

Anonymous

Oldman said:
Ah...now I know why you asked what Ads? I'm going to have to check on mine and see if my browser clears up that constant gag reflex I'm stifling.

Opera does. right click on the page and select block content, and then just click on what you dont want to see.

Sadly it isnt clever enough to recognise individual forum members :/

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
you guys are awesome...

i was saying the other day how i am TIRED of hearing these phil and paul knuckle heads in the TV... they SUCK... and if cycling were a real sport these guys wouldnt have jobs because they are just that bad...

nobody calling NBA is so terrible... you cant hardly call HS ball being that bad...

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Phill Liggit is probably the only journalist who can translate the Language from Microsoft english into the real thing.
Give them a go its not for us old hardened cyclists its for the wanabee cyclists that they preform.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Liggett is entitled to his opinion like anyone else and from what I have seen, the opinions on this site are wide ranging. Neither all for Armstrong or all against him.

Liggett has been masquarading as a knowledgable source for a long time. His true opinion has to be more informed than he lets on. He almost never has spoken about a doping issue unless the Festina affair was thrust into his face. He and Paul's avoidance is so disingenuous that their pay voucher is confirmed; the advertiser's paying LA are paying them. No real journalism is involved. That make him one of the worst profiteers, in my mind.

Well I saw an interview with Liggett after the fiasco's involving Landis, Rasmussen, Ricco and Schumacher and he admitted that he almost turned his back on the sport. He seemed sincere and totally fed up with the events at the time. He always seemed to stick with Armstrong because no one had categorically proved that he was a doper and he never tested positive. He seemed to be floored by the Landis results but not so surprised about Ricco, Vino, Basso etc........Cadel Evans did not seem surprised at all about Ricco. Unless Armstrong is paying off a great many people or has found a drug that is undetectable I cannot see how he could get away with it for so long. Sooner or later someone would break the silence. The problem is Landis has become that person and he is already a proven liar. People are uncertain about his motives and integrity or what little he has left. As for proof, we will see. If it was something sensational you would think he would have already leaked it to the press.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Well I saw an interview with Liggett after the fiasco's involving Landis, Rasmussen, Ricco and Schumacher and he admitted that he almost turned his back on the sport. He seemed sincere and totally fed up with the events at the time. He always seemed to stick with Armstrong because no one had categorically proved that he was a doper and he never tested positive. He seemed to be floored by the Landis results but not so surprised about Ricco, Vino, Basso etc........Cadel Evans did not seem surprised at all about Ricco. Unless Armstrong is paying off a great many people or has found a drug that is undetectable I cannot see how he could get away with it for so long. Sooner or later someone would break the silence. The problem is Landis has become that person and he is already a proven liar. People are uncertain about his motives and integrity or what little he has left. As for proof, we will see. If it was something sensational you would think he would have already leaked it to the press.

NOt paying off, people are scared to go against his opinion and riders who leave his team are not looked upon favourably in Armstrong's eye. There is more to it that other posters could tell you.

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
Squares said:
The real question is, why would someone who so totally disagrees with the decision of the people who run this site, waste their time posting on said site.

Your best tactical decision is to completely avoid any site you disagree with and deny them your esteemed presence and the advertising dollar that goes with your readership.

It really is quite simple.

I wasn't intending to single out Cyclingnews, but I guess that's how it came across. It's the cycling media's complicity in general, and this was an example of that. In my anger I didn't really elaborate.

I just needed to vent my frustration with the whole pro cycling complex. Much as I would like things to change I don't think anything will, Landis revelations, OCLAESP revelations, whatever really..

Your best tactical decision is not to waste your time reading or replying to any of my posts.. :)

erik saunders said:
you guys are awesome...

i was saying the other day how i am TIRED of hearing these phil and paul knuckle heads in the TV... they SUCK... and if cycling were a real sport these guys wouldnt have jobs because they are just that bad...

nobody calling NBA is so terrible... you cant hardly call HS ball being that bad...

Whoa! Is that the real Erik Saunders, the original inside-the-peloton Internet Cycling Commentator?

A

Anonymous

The media will continue to post all things Lance because it gets hits. Even the haters will post up links to the articles to make fun of them or tear them apart. But in the end, the mighty dollar speaks volumes because whether you
are an LA hater or lover you are still clicking on the articles, good or bad. It comes down the fattening up the bottom line.

Plus, the Clinic would be boring without all the Lance postings. lol!

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
badboygolf16v said:

CN cannot ignore people within the sport simply because those people support a rider you or I may not like. CN calls itself the world centre of cycling, not the centre of the anti-Armstrong club. Enjoy the bits about the people you like and ignore the bits about the people you don't.

It's like the ads on this site. I see a lot of complaints about Radioshack ads but none about Sella Italia ads. I'm not sure it's the ads so much as a photo of Armstrong that drives people nuts.

A

Anonymous

pedaling squares said:
It's like the ads on this site. I see a lot of complaints about Radioshack ads but none about Sella Italia ads. I'm not sure it's the ads so much as a photo of Armstrong that drives people nuts.

It's the photo of Armostrong. If he were pimpin' out Selle Italia then you'd hear complaints about them too.

TRENDING THREADS