• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclists cause global warming

Funny coming from a Republican since they don't believe in global warming.

orcutt1.jpg

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Wow... I've never heard THAT argument before.....

However, I have an alternative proposition. While CO2 production is increased during exercise, those that do exercise are fitter and thus don't produce as much CO2 while they're resting. Overall, fit people are producing a lower amount of CO2, as well being less of a burden on the health system. So, we should actually get a tax break! :cool:

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
7 billion people are breathing all day, every single day, and produce a lot of CO2.. so we must tax breathing and those who don't want to pay the tax, must stop breathing immediately. :rolleyes:

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have an idea about farting as well ( because farting produces methane especially the political/economical/social farting). Am I allowed to post it or would it be a little more vulgar than it is appropriate?? :rolleyes: :p

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Beyond any funny or vulgar comments, the point is that these kind of opinions about cycling, show how deep is the conviction in some circles, that roads belong to those who pay and are not public space as it should be.

BroDeal said:
Funny coming from a Republican since they don't believe in global warming.

orcutt1.jpg

Republicans are migrating from not believing in global warming to believing that there is nothing we can do about it.

I wouldn't mind paying a tax for the wear and tear that my bicycle causes on the road surface, so long as automobile drivers pay their tax based upon the same calculations AND I get laws that protect my right to be on those roads.

That idiot isn't thinking through the logical repercussions of his blathering.

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I think what he means is that it's not good for the environment if people are healthy and live longer. He's a Republican. He wants people to die early and soon.

The stupid is strong in that one.

"a cyclists has an increased heart rate and respiration"

What sort of grammer is that? this guy is in Government? I despair.

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Republicans are migrating from not believing in global warming to believing that there is nothing we can do about it.

I wouldn't mind paying a tax for the wear and tear that my bicycle causes on the road surface, so long as automobile drivers pay their tax based upon the same calculations AND I get laws that protect my right to be on those roads.

You pay already for the roads' maintenance with the taxes that you pay each year. And you pay extra for the car, if you have one, for been allowed to use it on the roads because it occupies ( the car) part of the public space. Or this was in the first place the idea for road taxes. Roads are public space. Nobody can buy or rent public space that is why is called public. Don't get in these peoples' way of thinking.. :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hey sounds like a great idea! Bikes have an add on tax so we can have more (not the same) benefits of riding on the road than today, so more bike lanes! Bike only parking spots! Bike Second, if we apply the tax universally anyone sending a kid to school needs to pay more tax to cover that kid! So I don't have to pay for someone else's kid! Then, anyone eating too much must pay extra tax to cover the excess methane production as that has also been reported to cause ozone issues.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
MarkvW said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the wingnut politician who wrote the letter was likely illustrating absurdity by being absurd.

Kinda like this;

Since the left has established CO2 as ghg it stands to reason to tax every person who exhales. It won't be long before cyclists and other endurance athletes will have to be purchasing carbon offsets from Al Gore's company.

The upshot here is, of course, cyclists and other endurance athletes will probably avoid the obesity taxes which, too, are surely coming.

Liberalism in full view. Ain't it grand.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
AndyMMT said:
I think what he means is that it's not good for the environment if people are healthy and live longer. He's a Republican. He wants people to die early and soon.

Yeah, that's what they want. So they can sit by themselves for all eternity telling themselves they "won."

You despair? I despair.

You, more than most, should really be careful using the word "stupid" as a descriptor.

AndyMMT said:

Lol why does this happen so often?

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Descender said:
This might be a good time to remind ourselves of what we learned in 6th grade: animals don't produce CO2. The CO2 they exhale has been accounted for before by plants and it's just part of a cycle.

Look, we need more revenue. What better way to generate revenue than taxing people for breathing?

Cycle or not, it makes no difference. CO2 needs to be taxed.