• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclists cause global warming

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Have a look at this article please, ( and if someone can it would be nice to forward to this stupid politician who wrote the email).

And I'm copying from this article:

The Road Board, created by the Development and Road Improvements Bill, published in August 1909, gave grants from the fund to local authorities to repair roads damaged by motorists. Even in the early days of motoring, roads were mostly paid for by general and local taxation. Paying Road Fund dues was never a fee for using a road, it was a fee to be paid out to local authorities for the damage done to roads by motorists. A Customs memo of 1908 said the “increased taxation of motors…” would “aid in restoring local roads damaged by motors licensed in other areas.”

There are even more details about the road tax, which is not a road construction tax but road repairing tax from those who damage it more, in this article and I have to add that Winston Churchill was right on what he said back then in 1925.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
This is incredible ... sounds like something you would hear on the Colbert Report. Someone should send it to them, if they haven't found it already.

Reminds me of another argument by republican congressman Dana Rohrabacher that global warming has existed since the dawn of time and was caused by dinosaur-flatulence

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I agree, it totally is. Fyi, I am a sceptic, so we probably do differ on some parts.:eek:

very likely :D one should always be a sceptic until you have firm evidence but have to say its looking pretty overwelming ....anyway we have enough disagreements without adding in climate change ;)

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Christian said:
This is incredible ... sounds like something you would hear on the Colbert Report. Someone should send it to them, if they haven't found it already.

Reminds me of another argument by republican congressman Dana Rohrabacher that global warming has existed since the dawn of time and was caused by dinosaur-flatulence

http://science.nasa.gov/media/medialibrary/2013/01/15/2012GISStemp_datescolorbarcentered.m4v

from here: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/15jan_warming/

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
alitogata said:

I am not sure what you want to say with those links ... the article you posted appears to go back to 1880, that is obviously not what Rohrabacher was talking about... anyways, here is the link to the story (in german):

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/natur/klima-streit-dino-blaehungen-im-us-kongress-a-465878.html

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Christian said:
I am not sure what you want to say with those links ... the article you posted appears to go back to 1880, that is obviously not what Rohrabacher was talking about... anyways, here is the link to the story (in german):

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/natur/klima-streit-dino-blaehungen-im-us-kongress-a-465878.html

The video shows what were the temperature changes, during the last century. The temperatures in the map come from meteorological data. That Rohrabacher ( whatever the name is), should have know about this data and that global warming is not a prehistoric event or something similar. That's my point and not the article itself.

Anyway.. It seems that all around the world, parliaments and congresses are full of people uneducated and in deep deep ignorance. And these want to call themselves politicians.. :rolleyes:

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
FYI - although I completely agree that the original letter was a classic "hasn't got a clue" example - the guy issued a very strong (not sure how to describe it) apology within a VERY short time after the OP letter.

I'll try to find the news of it later today, and post links.

Well - look at this! Found it about 30 seconds after posting!

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/03/news/must-read-cycling-is-bad-for-the-environment_276724?utm_medium=whats-hot

I won't say the guy (Orcutt) was sincere - but it sounds like he is intelligent enough to think about things - from both sides. And, he obviously got hammered over the original CO2 thinking, and thought better subsequently! :D

Scott SoCal said:
I was wondering if anybody was going to catch that.

morans_xlarge.jpeg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27242818@N00/1610060802/

But cyclists do fuel on long chain carbohydrates, which increase gastrointestinal production of methane, which is a "more powerful" greenhouse gas than CO2.

And don't even get me started on discarded Powerbar® wrappers, banana peels, and human excreta....

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
So what do the repubicans have planned for cyclists then if they believe them GW polutants.

Are they going to advise motorists that when they see a group of cyclists out for a ride...

motorists you are permitted to... turn on your windscreen wipers, close your eyes and put your foot down...

Sorted, less cylists, less humans breathing air, farting and taking up space on the roads...job done!

Silly....

At least cycling doesn't pump out nasty cancer and asthma causing cemicals...right?

horsinabout said:
So what do the repubicans have planned for cyclists then if they believe them GW polutants.

Are they going to advise motorists that when they see a group of cyclists out for a ride...

motorists you are permitted to... turn on your windscreen wipers, close your eyes and put your foot down...

Sorted, less cylists, less humans breathing air, farting and taking up space on the roads...job done!

Silly....

At least cycling doesn't pump out nasty cancer and asthma causing cemicals...right?

Fascinating. The misunderstanding of the opposing point of view, the projection of violent fantasies onto a man without any apparent justification, and then the pleading for support from the group.

hiero2 said:
FYI - although I completely agree that the original letter was a classic "hasn't got a clue" example - the guy issued a very strong (not sure how to describe it) apology within a VERY short time after the OP letter.

I'll try to find the news of it later today, and post links.

Well - look at this! Found it about 30 seconds after posting!

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/03/news/must-read-cycling-is-bad-for-the-environment_276724?utm_medium=whats-hot

I won't say the guy (Orcutt) was sincere - but it sounds like he is intelligent enough to think about things - from both sides. And, he obviously got hammered over the original CO2 thinking, and thought better subsequently! :D

I beg to differ. He is only making things worse with this half-arsed apology...

He keeps saying:

"Although I have always recognized that bicycling emits less carbon than cars, I see I did a poor job of indicating that within my e-mail. My point was that by not driving a car, a cyclist was not necessarily having a zero-carbon footprint."

But he IS having a zero-carbon footprint, at least with regards to his breathing which was his point.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
phanatic said:
Fascinating. The misunderstanding of the opposing point of view, the projection of violent fantasies onto a man without any apparent justification, and then the pleading for support from the group.

Sorry you have lost me completely....as well as a sence of humour.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Food for thought. This is what happens when science meets politics. Politics and policy makers win despite all the evidence to the contrary.

484983_520139511372144_1595594664_n_zps7da25aab.png

sprintbikes

BANNED
Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
every coin has two sides. likewise, everything has two aspects, good and bad. i think there are much more benefits of cycling rather than bad effects.