• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclists who “own” a particular climb or stretch of road

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nibali - Civiglio
Came to post this. I'm not quite sure how regularly that side of Civiglio was actually used in Lombardia prior to the 2015 route change but ever since the amount of memories I have of Nibali on that climb is remarkable. Not only because he won the race twice on that climb (or rather descent actually) but also because he was in the center of attention in 2018 too and then again put on a show in the 2019 giro. For me it felt genuinely weird to watch last years Lombardia and Nibali not being up there becuase he has simply always been there when I watched that climb before.

Reactions: Rollthedice
On top of my head

Pantani: Alpe d Huez
Riis: Hautacam
Armstrong: Sestriere,
Contador: Verbier
Angliru: Heras
Ullrich: Arcalis
Basso: Monte Bondonne
Froome: Colle delle Finestre
Merkxz: Puy de Dome
I don't know if I agree. Most of those picks are basically just one single super impressive performance by a rider on a particular climb. I mean has Froome even ridden the Finestre more than once in a pro race? Or can you claim Heras owns the Angliru if he has won there once, while Contador has won there twice?

MjAxMzEwYmM1YmIwNTZiNDI3ZTQ5MTk5NzdmM2ZlYmFmYTgzMGU

TRENDING THREADS