• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclo downunder

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Thinking the same thing...

I know of nothing as yet, but talk of an Adelaide series is getting more serious. I know of at least two bike shops a that are keen to get things happening. There was talk of something at the Melrose Fat Tyre festival this year but nothing eventuated, but it might be worth keeping an eye on this year. It's been very hard to get anything started as so few Aussies have even spectated at a CX event, let alone organised one. The rules about permissable bikes is difficult to as so few people have true CX bikes, and most that are sold seem to be used as commuters/ light tourers rather than as muddy paddock machines.

Does anyone know from overseas experience where a good resource for official rules and useful course designs are available? Beach/sand based courses have me interested as that would work where I am year round. In SA we actually have had mud this year, but other years mud can be a hard to find resource.

A

Anonymous

I'd be interested in this.

I wish a series pops up down under, in Victoria tho haha for my convenience

It will happen, it's just a matter of time really.

A

Anonymous

badboyberty said:
Maybe we need to organise a national championship at Nelson or Bordertown...

I guess the obvious thing to do was to put "cyclo cross australia" into google... can't believe we missed that hahah

there was a national championship in september

http://www.cyclocrossaustralia.com/

it sounds like the admin for this stuff is starting to kick into gear in 2010

darn - now i have to buy a cross' bike!! more money!!

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Mountain Goat said:
I guess the obvious thing to do was to put "cyclo cross australia" into google... can't believe we missed that hahah

there was a national championship in september

http://www.cyclocrossaustralia.com/

it sounds like the admin for this stuff is starting to kick into gear in 2010

darn - now i have to buy a cross' bike!! more money!!

How come when I grew up near Toowoomba there was nothing there, but now they've got the Flight Centre Epic and now CX. Bulls%%% Bulls%%% Bulls%%%

Oh well, good excuse to go up and visit my Mum.

And why no SA round for the National series, are they afraid we'll whoop everyone's a###:D

A

Anonymous

perhaps round 4 is for SA.

given the TDU and the SA sponsorship of Aussie cyclists, you would think they'd make a round in SA

at least this sounds like cyclocross down under is slowly but surely coming together. would of been interesting to see how many people at the national championship showed up!

may 2010 - national series hits victoria, maybe i should enter

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
I feel better about not knowing anything, but it seems the "National Championships" in October didn't eventuate.

There is a Facebook group, "Cyclocross Australia" which seems to have a few people trying to get things started, but at this stage it looks like people are just using CX bikes for firetrack heavy MTB events like the Highland Fling.

A

Anonymous

Apparently Melbourne is starting to experiment with cross

There was a race setup around the MTB trails near Yarra Boulevard, Kew in November I think - found it on some forum through a google search

Also, perhaps Cycling Edge are organising it??

Anyone know the winner or the organisers of this one - it's very hard to find and therefore participate??