• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclocross and running?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
From the very little I know about cyclocross (non-existent here in Oz) it seems that on any given course the riders have to scrabble over obstacles, run up stairs or steep hills etc.

So I am curious to know how much running training, if any, these guys do? And if so what kind of stuff do they do?

Anyone in the know?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Typically Cross is the focus of my season. I trail run all year and even compete in some races. I usually wont do runs over 10k though. It is also good cross training for my other cycling disciplines. When the season is in full swing I will only run once maybe every two weeks for about an hour. Right now when the season is over I am running 3 times a week for as much as 2 hours. Its good for me to keep up my fitness and its a break from a long season of biking.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Like Brandon, cross is my main focus for the year in competitive terms. I do 'train' for running in races, mainly through a weekly 1-2 hour 'technical' session which will include practice dismounts/mounts, shouldering the bike, bunny hopping and running short, steep ascents similar to those found on an average course. If I am aware of any specific technical sections on a course that I am racing on the next weekend then I will weight the sessions in favour of these. These sessions are usually with a 5+ guys that I race against so they can get quite competitive! Or they might end up at the local pub if it's too cold/wet :D

In addition, I do one pure running session per week of just over one hour, 5-10 minute gentle warm up, then about 45 minute fartlek session comprising 10 x short hill climbs on sand dunes with 5 minute recovery between sets, then 10-20 minute gentle run home as warm down.

During the season, I'm probably riding intervals and recovery rides only for total of 6-8 hours including the above then race on Saturday and/or Sunday.

Cross is mostly zone 4-6 training and speed orientated during the season hence the low hours spent in the saddle. This makes sense given the lousy conditions we're riding in most of the time and the increased risk of running yourself down and picking up infections at that time of year. I've spent very little time in the saddle since the end of January and have just started level 1-2 rides of 3 hours to kick off next seasons training.

Can't vouch for other crossers but this seems to work for me. Hope this helps :D

TRENDING THREADS