• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cyclocross in Virginia?

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
I've been a roadie for several years now, and I'm interested in dipping my toes into the world of cyclocross. Before I take the plunge and spend the money on a bike (even a used one), I'm curious whether there are many races in Virginia. I've Googled a bit and poked around the USA cycling website, and it looks like there aren't that many cross races in the Virginia (I have a family, so frequent overnight travel to races is not really possible). So, can anyone tell me if there's much of a community in Virginia? Are there any clubs who might organize non-sanctioned "training races?" I would love to hear from any crossers who could tell me what the scene is like - I would hate to spend the money on a bike and have solo rides on gravel roads be the only way that I could ride. Thanks for any comments.

Best,

Dave

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
There are so many races in Virginia. You have the Virgina CX Series which is mostly around C'ville and Richmond, also you can race in MD and PA.

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
redstar said:
There are so many races in Virginia. You have the Virgina CX Series which is mostly around C'ville and Richmond, also you can race in MD and PA.

Redstar:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Since I posted, I did discover the Potomac Velo Club. Apparently they put on a race, and have a series of "Intro to cyclocross" on Tuesdays in September. I'll will do my best to make at least one of these sessions and I will hit a race or two this fall. After over twenty years on the road (roadie to triathele and back to roadie), I'm really excited about giving this a go!

Dave

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
there's CX all over, as people have said:

check out

http://www.midatlanticcross.info/2009.html

and be sure to race DCCX, with one of the largest women's fields in the area! not to mention free frites and beer!

http://www.dcmtb.com/blog/dc-cx

Biciclette Bianchi said:
I've been a roadie for several years now, and I'm interested in dipping my toes into the world of cyclocross. Before I take the plunge and spend the money on a bike (even a used one), I'm curious whether there are many races in Virginia. I've Googled a bit and poked around the USA cycling website, and it looks like there aren't that many cross races in the Virginia (I have a family, so frequent overnight travel to races is not really possible). So, can anyone tell me if there's much of a community in Virginia? Are there any clubs who might organize non-sanctioned "training races?" I would love to hear from any crossers who could tell me what the scene is like - I would hate to spend the money on a bike and have solo rides on gravel roads be the only way that I could ride. Thanks for any comments.

Best,

Dave

TRENDING THREADS